Official News: Converting a 135mm apo framelines

Guest guy_mancuso

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Okay the 135mm apo came home, the 75 lux is still there getting a code of armour. LOL

3 important immediate things . Calibration is spot on for focus , 2 the coding works and shows 135mm in the EXif data and 3 I now have 90mm framelines. Yahoo. Okay near as i can describe it everyone turn your lever to the 90 framline and for accuracy it is half way between the focus patch and the inside frame line but closer to the frameline. But here is what i am thinking if your doing portraits let's say the official type like the corporate one i do. If I went in to crop there heads with the frame line than I will get a perfect framing with space above there head. Yes not accurate but beats the hell out of guessing from thin air . At least there is something very close. I need to go shoot with it for real but looks really cool. So far very happy i did this.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest guy_mancuso

I should say hats off to leica for wanting to do this for folks. i will do a portrait session soon and give full details on operation

Guy and others, thought you might be interested in this recent email from Leica. Good news that Leica Solms will undertake the adaptation - even though they don't think it's a good idea! Looking forward to getting mine...

Best

Chris

================================================

Dear Mr Tribble

Our Reference 78582 - Your reference Classic Camera 3540

RE: Leica Apo-Telyt M 135mm - 6-Bit MODIFICATION

In response to your e-mail with regards to the above mentioned lens. We have received notification from the factory in Germany, that they would not recommend carrying out any 6-bit modification to this lens.

The following information has been forwarded to us from the factory in Germany; [a] there is no corresponding frame line and the accuracy of the rangefinder is not sufficient to focus this lens under all circumstances. The original 135mm f2.8 does increase the rangefinder magnification, via the attached viewfinder.

As you have read, it appears that our agency in USA have already carried out one conversion, as outlined, i.e. fitting of a 90mm bayonet and the code for the original 135mm 2.8, this will of course fool the camera into thinking the optical attributes are that of the f2.8 lens and not your Apo Elmarit M 135mm. In saying this, Solms has agreed that if you request this particular conversion they will carry it out at the normal conversion price.

We will await your authorisation to return your lens to our factory to Germany, if you require this special conversion.

I hope this information is of assistance.

With kind regards

CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPT

Guy and others, thought you might be interested in this recent email from Leica. Good news that Leica Solms will undertake the adaptation - even though they don't think it's a good idea! Looking forward to getting mine...

Well, now that they have the 90/4 macro elmar out there with goggles it wouldn't be a stretch to provide goggles that could be retrofited to the 135 Apo-Telyt and offered as an option with new lenses.