Guest guy_mancuso

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest guy_mancuso

Hank may be worth a phone call to leica repair. I think the APO is a fatter lens though not sure if that would have anything to do with it

I wonder if it would be possible to use the bayonet mount and goggles from a 135/2.8 on the new 135? I assume the goggles could be adjusted if installation was possible. The Goggles work quite well on an M8 making 135 focusing much easier.

I took the mount off one of my 135 f/2.8's last night and there is a black, what look and feels like plastic, ring under the mount and then another metal ring with the mounting points for the eyes. Also from what I hear the eye glass is glued in place once it has been adjusted at the fatory.

I seriously doubt the APO 135 has the space at the back of the lens for all the mounting hardware that is on the older f/2.8 model.

I took the mount off one of my 135 f/2.8's last night and there is a black, what look and feels like plastic, ring under the mount and then another metal ring with the mounting points for the eyes. Also from what I hear the eye glass is glued in place once it has been adjusted at the fatory.

I seriously doubt the APO 135 has the space at the back of the lens for all the mounting hardware that is on the older f/2.8 model.

I checked with Don at DAG. He said it would be like trying to shoehorn a 57 Chevy engine into a Honda. I'd jump on this lens if it had the goggles but without them or accurate framing I don't think it will be practical for me. To bad, it's a stellar performer.

Guest guy_mancuso

About double Hank but hard to figure were the frame begins and ends. I figure if i crop tight on the 90mm frameline i should be really close. When i get this back i am going to try andmeasure this out somehow so we have a better idea

Cool stuff guy. I recently obtained a 135 tele-elmar and wonder id the mount switch is possible. On the other hand, I'll be using it on my M7, more than on the M8 I suspect,...so I guess I'll leave things as they are. best....Peter

Guest guy_mancuso

Yes Peter may not want to do this if your still shooting film becuase the real framelines will come up. Hopefully this will come soon. I could use my 75 lux which i had coded and my 135 apo.

Gee, Guy--

I can see the new version of the 135/3.4 now: with a switch on the side (like the switch for AF on/off on various brands of AF lenses) letting you choose which frame lines you want, and a spring-loaded lever in the mount like that of the standard Tri-Elmar.

Hmm. No, huh?

Well, just an idea. :(

--HC

Guest guy_mancuso

Damn Howard now that would be pretty darn neat. Maybe we can get Leica to revamp the 135mm lens line with something like that for M8 shooters. These should be back soon

Guest guy_mancuso

Just got a e-mail from Leica , looks like they will finish this up tomorrow . So it all should be home next week.

My 135/4 tele-elmar arrived a few days ago. I got this lens for head and shoulders portraits and I wanted the safety net of being able to focus and crop accurately (I have crop lines on my Viso screen) with the Viso. I have been testing the lens on the Viso and mounted directly on the M. It is a very compact package without the Viso and with the 1.35x magnifier doesn't seem a problem to focus.

I find that if I just leave the lens set to 3 meters and focus by leaning back and forth I will get perfect head and shoulders crop. I just set up the shot, checking framing once I get the framing/crop I want in the LCD just leave the focus and focus by leaning into or out of the shot. No need to worry about cropping. I'll have to see how it works in practice with a couple of shoots comparing results with Viso and without -but maybe I don't need the Viso for this application after all. The 135/4 is a stellar lens, the telyt must be spectacular if it outperforms the tele-elmar.

Guy what aperture did you use for your 135 portraits?

All this really does underline my old bee in the bonnet / bat in the belfry: Leica should produce a goggled version of the 135 mm APO. This way the 90 mm frame would be made to correspond to the 135 mm image field, just as with the old goggled Elmarit. Also, the 1.4 or 1.5x finder magnification would assist focusing accuracy. Get on with it, Leica! The 135 mm focal length may yet be saved for the digital era.

The old man from the Age of the 135 mm Tele-Elmar

Guest guy_mancuso

I shot them at F8 which gives a nice effect . i should get this back soon and try several apertures to show what effect it has.

Hank the nice thing about the Viso is you will be able to accurately frame but without a better screen it will be tough to focus. So maybe the Brightscreen solution with crop lines maybe a great way to go and certainly cheaper than buying the 135 APO which is hard to find used and expensive. Now having said that I need to test the framing with the new setup being done. Fun stuff , i love alternative solutions to user issues and really customizing things to suit your taste just makes you more effecient.

Keep us informed on your testing, maybe a great solution for some folks

Guest guy_mancuso
All this really does underline my old bee in the bonnet / bat in the belfry: Leica should produce a goggled version of the 135 mm APO. This way the 90 mm frame would be made to correspond to the 135 mm image field, just as with the old goggled Elmarit. Also, the 1.4 or 1.5x finder magnification would assist focusing accuracy. Get on with it, Leica! The 135 mm focal length may yet be saved for the digital era.

The old man from the Age of the 135 mm Tele-Elmar

Lars good point and this may give Leica a good reason to make a googled APO. They were very interested in this idea i came up with and maybe this will give them a good reason to move forward in 135mm focal length

Well I shot a series of subjects at 3 to 4 meters distance. I shot at f/4 and f/5.6. One set without Viso and 1.35 magnifier and one set with Viso and brightscreen with crop. The Viso set was dead on focus 100% of the time -using the RF maybe 80% where in perfect focus. Of course murphy's law being what it is I know that in that 20% slightly out would be the best shot of the session.

If I had confidence in the 135 using RF I'd spring for the Apo-Telyt but even a slight misfocus will turn your $3K lens into the equivalent of a consumer zoom. And missing a potential shot for mis-focus is just not acceptable for me. So it's the Viso + 135/4 for me. The 135/4 is good enough that I won't miss the Apo-Telyt to much.

If Leica slaps some goggles on the 135 I would think differently as the 135/2.8 with goggles and magnifier focuses just fine on the M8. The 2.8 is a brick and performance is behind the 135/4 but the Apo-Telyt with goggles should be a much more ergonomic package and nothing touches it performance wise.

Guest guy_mancuso

Probably do better at F8 Hank and even than you will miss a little, when i shot the APO without the framelines i was more concerned about framing than focusing so hopefully this idea will put my mind on focusing, I was off on a couple also.

Probably do better at F8 Hank and even than you will miss a little, when i shot the APO without the framelines i was more concerned about framing than focusing so hopefully this idea will put my mind on focusing, I was off on a couple also.

F/8 would allow for some error. There are lots of shots however where I will want quicker fall off. The eyes need to have the full resolution of the lens to get that pop and then a quick fall off to a blur. You need dead on focusing for it to work, you can't be focused on the hairline or the end of the nose and have the eyes slightly softer. This lens is a 180 on the M8 which is really way outside RF territory. Probably why Leica hadn't given it a thought as the 90 was filling the 135's slot on the M8.

Guest guy_mancuso

Admittedly you have to be pretty damn good at this. I normally used a 180 on the DMR that is effectively a 240mm. But i am crazy too. LOL