Best settings for shooting video?

Clandrel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

What is the best settings for shooting video? Shutter and ISO.

I'm having a bit trouble with the camera hunting, lightwise (flickering). I guess it is the light metering system that changes all the time. I use the 0.95 when shooting video.

Also, when shooting under some light (LED light, but also fluorescent light) I get horisontal stripes in the recording (also on the screen when using live view). If I stop down from 0.95 to 2.8 and further the stripes go away.

Any experience?

/c

Check Thorsten's excellent overview on video with the M:

leica.overgaard.dk - Thorsten Overgaard's Leica Pages - Page 35 - Leica M Digital Rangefinder Camera Page - Video- & Moviemaking with the Leica M video - Part 1

My experience with flicker from artificial light sources has been that SLOWING the shutter speed has helped. Shifting from 1/60th to 1/45th made a lot of difference. However, I'm sure that there are others with more video experience than me who will be able to comment further.

Best

• Like 2

What is the best settings for shooting video? Shutter and ISO.

The "basic" shutter setting for films/video is 1/50 of a second and, in the case of the M240, this means 1/45 of a second. This setting gives you what we have come to accept as a "normal" approximation of movement. Faster and slower shutter speeds deviate from the norm in ways that may or may not be appropriate for one's film.

In other words, film/video is a shutter priority discipline in which the shutter speed is normally fairly slow. ISO and aperture have to fall into line. If you want to make a video on a clear, bright day, you are going to have a problem if you want to use your Noctilux wide open, even at ISO 200. This is why one of the first things filmmakers/videographers invest in is neutral density filters.

Mr. Overgaard, in the article referred to in the previous post, makes a point of saying that he "hates video". The problem isn't just that he hates it (although that should just maybe be a clue about the value of what he has to say), but that the article and the videos that he has put up on the internet (see Vimeo) demonstrate that he doesn't know anything about video, and certainly nothing about sound.

If you want to learn how to make videos, I'd like to suggest that you purchase a good book on DSLR filmmaking (there are several, and the principles are the same), and Jay Rose's books on video sound recording and editing. There are more advanced books on the sound side, but Rose's books, which are regularly recommended on Jeff Wexler's forum for professional film sound recordists and mixers, are really very good.

There are select M 240 videos at Leica M 240 Video if you want to see some.

Cheers

Edited by redge
  • Like 4

Redge - a bit severe on Thorsten - but as a non-videographer I'm not best placed to judge.

re shutter speed, thanks for clarification.

1. For those who've never used video on the me, NB that the shutter speed dial doesn't give you the 1/50th option - instead, you select 1/45th and the camera adjusts this to 1/50th. My bad for mis-remembering this.

2. I got rid of flicker under artificial light by dropping the shutter speed to 1/30th.

BTW - I don't do anything dramatic or artistic with video. My only use has been for talking head interviews using a tieclip mike connected to the audio adapter on the M. Works well for me and for clients.

I'm very happy with the RØDE VideoMic Pro that I use with my D800.

For use on the M you would need this adapter wouldn't you?

And then your hot shoe mount is taken, so you'd need to have theRØDE on a bracket... That is not a bad thing because in my experience it makes the camera easier to handle for video.

• Like 1

I'm very happy with the RØDE VideoMic Pro that I use with my D800.

For use on the M you would need this adapter wouldn't you?

And then your hot shoe mount is taken, so you'd need to have theRØDE on a bracket... That is not a bad thing because in my experience it makes the camera easier to handle for video.

Thanks - perfect! I'll get a RODE microphone. I already have the Leica adapter kit.

Though I'll need to find a bracket/handgrip (with hotshoe mount and baseplate which screws into the camera's tripod socket) on which to mount the microphone - any ideas?

Though I'll need to find a bracket/handgrip (with hotshoe mount and baseplate which screws into the camera's tripod socket) on which to mount the microphone - any ideas?

I use this one Vello CB-600 Straight Flash Bracket CB-600 B&H Photo Video with my Metz 20, I guess it coud be used for the microphone as well.

• Like 1

Thanks - perfect! I'll get a RODE microphone. I already have the Leica adapter kit.

127 ideas, actually :p

Brackets | B&H Photo Video

• Like 1

Guest redge
Hi Redge,

can you recommend a better microphone for the M240 than the little one that Leica supply to plug into the hot shoe adapter without going overboard on cost and size?

Thaknks,

MArk

I approach this from Pico's perspective (see his post above) that sound is 50% of your video.

The fundamental principle of sound recording is to get the microphone as close to the subject as possible. This results in higher quality/more natural sound and isolates your subject's sound from background noise. It is why singers and TV journalists on the street use mics within inches of their mouths.

The best way to accomplish this is to use your M 240 to record the images and a separate sound recorder and microphone to record the sound. You can synch using a clapper board or a programme called Plural Eyes.

Have a look at Jay Rose's books and Transom: A Showcase and Workshop for New Public Radio for discussions about appropriate recording gear that won't break the bank. It is absolutely possible to buy a recorder and microphone that will give you far superior sound to what you will get from the camera's mic, or Leica's external mic, for about $500.

Some quick guidelines:

If the microphone can be on screen, use an omnidirectional or cardiod microphone

If you don't want the microphone on screen, use a cardiod or hypercardiod microphone just outside the image frame

Don't buy a shotgun mic unless you really need one (get closer unless you really can't)

Don't buy a Lavalier (lapel) mic unless you really need one (good ones are quite expensive, and while they're OK, they just don't deliver the same quality of sound as a much less expensive standard microphone)

Don't even consider Leica's external mic (it is way overpriced for what it will deliver)

If you are recording outside, wind protection for the mic is essential (there is nothing more annoying than the sound of wind hitting a microphone)

Edited by redge
  • Like 2

Don't even consider Leica's external mic (it is way overpriced for what it will deliver)

...well I bought Oly's SEMA-1 just to get some stereo sound. It's fairly good when compared to the one that's built into the camera. I only use the camera's video for some family moments, though.

Thanks so much for your detailed reply.

I've thought about what I need at this stage and just bought a RODE Stereo Videomic Pro with a flat Hama flash bracket to mount the microphone next to the camera. It will probably not deliver sound to the quality of a separate sound recorder as you suggested, but that's probably getting more complex than I want (I think :o) for occasional use. I do have an extension cable so I can place the microphone closer to the subject if needed but at this stage the RODE microphone on a flash bracket delivers more than adequate sound for our needs.

Having just tested it out I'm very happy with the outcome (and they threw in the dead kitten!)

Thanks for again for your advice about this and the shutter speed setting of 1/45 works perfectly.

Regards,

Mark

And Lenicolas,

thanks for the suggestion of the RODE microphones (and the Stereo Videomic Pro is also very compact).

Edited by MarkP

Redge is right.

I have a 3 meter (generic) extension cable for the rode Mic and a I can put the whole flash bracket on a light stand right outside the frame.

I also have a zoom H1n that I can plug the røde into if my extension cable is too short.

I went for the videomic pro over the stereo because it picks up sound from a narrower angle, thus isolating the subject from the ambient noise a little (better for itw/dialogue).

It picks up way less of my own noise from holding the camera or breathing than the built-in Mic...

I use plural eyes too : it was free with the purchase of the røde Mic!

Edited by lenicolas
  • Like 1

When I was in the process of picking up a mic for video, I found that the people on sound recording forums often have trouble understanding that one would want it "quick and dirty" ;)

Every discussion I had ended up with someone telling me that "sound is half of the content of your film" and urging me to spend thousands in gear I have no idea how to use...

But for most of us photographers, video making will most likely remain a one man job (can't hire a sound guy) and the resulting videos will probably only be played from Youtube on a laptop's speaker... :D

A "no bullshit" thread about what you can actually accomplish with a 300euros (or less) budget would be welcome...

When I was in the process of picking up a mic for video, I found that the people on sound recording forums often have trouble understanding that one would want it "quick and dirty" ;)

Every discussion I had ended up with someone telling me that "sound is half of the content of your film" and urging me to spend thousands in gear I have no idea how to use...

But for most of us photographers, video making will most likely remain a one man job (can't hire a sound guy) and the resulting videos will probably only be played from Youtube on a laptop's speaker... :D

A "no bullshit" thread about what you can actually accomplish with a 300euros (or less) budget would be welcome...

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m-type-240/301940-strange-sound-when-recording-video-m-4.html POST #65

$300 AUD (approx.195 Euro) and it does exactly what I want to significantly improve sound quality over the Leica-supplied microphone in a compact package.

Edited by MarkP

Glad you found something that works for you! :)

My setup (Rode videomic + pre-owned Zoom h1n + extention cable from amazon + generic dead cat from ebay + flash bracket) cost me just under 300euros and does what I want too. I know my sound isn't the best and a pro would probably not be pleased with it somehow, but I can manage that kit on my own and it's worlds better than in-camera mic on auto-level ;)

Glad you found something that works for you! :)

My setup (Rode videomic + pre-owned Zoom h1n + extention cable from amazon + generic dead cat from ebay + flash bracket) cost me just under 300euros and does what I want too. I know my sound isn't the best and a pro would probably not be pleased with it somehow, but I can manage that kit on my own and it's worlds better than in-camera mic on auto-level ;)

The HN1 looks interesting.