A question For XV Users

Peter H

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm off to my dealer today and I'll report back later.

I'm perfectly convinced from all that's been said here and elsewhere (thanks for links) that the AF/MF arrangement will be fine, leaving me with the main question about what it will add given how delighted I am with my M and the M lenses that I've acquired over the years.

This is a self-imposed quandary of course. The thing that attracts me is that I could use it alongside my M with a fast lens attached, meaning I'd be covering a vast range of shooting opportunities/challenges with minimal need to change a lens or even change my methodology very much, and with a very light-weight and convenient outfit capable of very high quality, probably beyond my own capabilities if I'm honest with myself.

I'm really talking myself into it!

Black or silver? (No need to answer that one, thank you!;)

CAUTION! This camera is highly addictive, the more you look and work it's files the more you'll rely almost solely on it leaving your M for very rare and special occasions :-0

as for the colour, I prefer black.

• Like 1

I find the images of the new "silver" to be quite lovely - Makes me think of my D2 -- I think the XV is much akin to an updated D2. If I were to get one I'd get the EVF and the correct size finger hole thingy for the right side. When I borrowed An XV for a few hours it had the bottom plate attachable righ hand lump, but I found the lump just a bit too small for my hand, hence my wondering if the finger thingy is better.

• Like 2

Little bit envious that the silver one is out only weeks after I purchased the 100 year kit in black...

I haven't tried the finger loop thingy. I went with the protector which adds a little more bulk to the body. The protector has a lump on the front (roughly under the red dot logo) which I find enough of a grip. But then I have smaller hands.

• Like 2

With manual control of the shutter speed and aperture, the XV is certainly a more attractive proposition to me than many cameras in this 'class' but I'm not sure I'd like to switch from one camera with RF to another with EVF as part of a 'working pair'. That said, I haven't tried working like that so I'm probably just displaying my prejudice against an EVF.

I spent a week with both in tandem ......initially the XV for quick photos and the M for more considered shots with my 12/5.6, WATE, Nocti and 90 ..... but as it became apparent the XV images were so good the poor old M got used less and less.....

Jumping from RF to EVF was no problem at all. ..... as was swapping the EVF between cameras as required .......

..hence my wondering if the finger thingy is better.

Stuart, a colleague on here has reported on his experiences with the finger loop (Mixalis' blog); now I will add mine.

The finger loop came as part of my package deal followed by a long delay. (Why such an accessory can't be co-produced in time is a disappointment, but sadly typical of Leica's procurement performance with many accessories}

Eventually I received a medium loop but could not pass my two fingers through the loop. So I returned it and waited for a large one. At first I thought it was ideal but I soon realized that it was not comfortable. True I could work with it, just, but it slowly made my fingers sore and was a two-handed job to extricate my fingers before placing the camera in a bag or whatever. I am tall with hands in proportion. Large gloves normally fit my hands. But I think Leica needs an Extra Large loop in order to afford security combined with freedom of movement. They don't have one yet, so I am going without the loop. I must say however that I am most comfortable with the Leica hand-grip which is one of the best I have and use. To be honest, for those who eschew use of the neck strap and I don't, a wrist strap combined with the hand-grip could well be all they need. If you really want a loop, my advice is to try before you buy and expect to use one size larger than you think you need.

OP, I did not intend diverting from your thread theme, but since this accessory has entered the discussion, I guess several members will be interested in a rare piece of feedback on the finger loop.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Anyone using the handgrip? I am getting my camera from our fellow LUF, Brent!:)

Tri, do see my post above. I will expand a little. For all of my recent Leica digital cameras, from M8 which slipped out of my hands during unpacking onto a table, a matching hand-grip has been essential to me. I know some half-cases have a raised rib, but that does not provide the finger-tip contact which I prefer. The one issued for the XV has a flat surface where the finger tips rest. That adds security of hold and is comfortable and reassuring in use. Although the camera might look sleeker without a grip, ergonomics and security come first for me. The XV hand-grip is quite the best I have encountered and adds little extra bulk to the camera. I doubt you will be disappointed, but try before you buy if you can.

Tri, do see my post above. I will expand a little. For all of my recent Leica digital cameras, from M8 which slipped out of my hands during unpacking onto a table, a matching hand-grip has been essential to me. I know some half-cases have a raised rib, but that does not provide the finger-tip contact which I prefer. The one issued for the XV has a flat surface where the finger tips rest. That adds security of hold and is comfortable and reassuring in use. Although the camera might look sleeker without a grip, ergonomics and security come first for me. The XV hand-grip is quite the best I have encountered and adds little extra bulk to the camera. I doubt you will be disappointed, but try before you buy if you can.

Thank you very much for the information. I will definitely try to find one to try.

Tri

• Like 1

Well, I had a play with one at the dealer's today. Just a few minutes, but it really is an extraordinarily appealing camera to handle. They only had the one demo in stock, which they wanted to keep, giving me a night to sleep on it before I take the plunge and order one, but my resistance is weak!

By the way, I've tried the finger-loop on the grip on the M and it is very comfortable on gives great stability and security of grip and ease of use, although I do find switching from landscape to portrait a bit slower than without it. I haven't used it for long periods and I can imagine it might make your fingers sore if you walked around all day with it attached. But maybe that's just me not being macho enough about such things.

Well, I had a play with one at the dealer's today. Just a few minutes, but it really is an extraordinarily appealing camera to handle. They only had the one demo in stock, which they wanted to keep, giving me a night to sleep on it before I take the plunge and order one, but my resistance is weak!

By the way, I've tried the finger-loop on the grip on the M and it is very comfortable on gives great stability and security of grip and ease of use, although I do find switching from landscape to portrait a bit slower than without it. I haven't used it for long periods and I can imagine it might make your fingers sore if you walked around all day with it attached. But maybe that's just me not being macho enough about such things.

I tried all those accessories at the Leica Store Los Angeles and ended up taking the leather protection case. It added the grip and stability needed. It added dimensions to the camera, and it naked the camera looks awesome. But there's more, the case prevent accidental press of the rear dial which is a plus!

... But there's more, the case prevent accidental press of the rear dial which is a plus!

That is good; but so does the hand-grip for those who like a more positive handling experience. Without either, inadvertent actuation of the rear controls is a worrying aspect.

I was certain to borrow a hand grip along with the XV and was very impressed with its quality, and I felt that it looked fine, but for me it just did not feel right. This suggests trying before buying.

With my V Lux 4 (the only one of my dry land cameras I've used since Barbara gave it to me December 2012) I prefer to carry it in my right hand with the neck strap somewhat lightly wound about my hand. This did not work out as well for me with the heavier XV, but as the ads go, your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

I'm using the attached combination: handgrip,+ home made latch, the whole stuff into an anonymous bag...:) when needed.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Update on my XVario deliberations for those who might be interested:

I didn't buy it. But that is no reflection on the camera. I considered very carefully why I might need a companion for my M. The main reasons are to do with having a range of focal lengths instantly to hand, and the autofocus for the rare occasions when I might need it. On reflection, the focal length issue is tempting but I've decided to continue testing out my creativity to solve this question. In other words, continue with my current practise and use the lens I have on the camera: it's worked for a long time, so I want to persevere. I really enjoy the creative challenge, so I've decided not to compromise it too easily. Secondly, I'm finding the M so much easier to focus quickly and accurately than my previous M-cameras (M9 and M6s) that the need for AF is not really an issue often enough to worry about. These are personal reasons, and nothing to do with any deficiency in the XV. As far as I can tell it is a superb camera that produces beautiful and reliable results.

It is still very tempting indeed; it is certainly wonderful to handle, probably the best small camera I have ever used. The implementation of MF/AF is brilliant and the sensor/lens combination is stunning. I think that Leica's decision to resist the temptation to make a big, fast lens was absolutely correct too, otherwise we'd have ended up with something the size of a DSLR and the whole point of this camera would have been lost.

So in summary: it is a truly superb and incredibly versatile and usable small camera that produces results comparable with much larger cameras. Not everyone needs one of course, but those who do, or just want a small camera, this would be the one I'd recommend. The fact that I took so long to decide is testament to how attractive I found this camera that I don't need!

And I may still succumb.

• Like 9

The fact that I took so long to decide is testament to how attractive I found this camera that I don't need!

And I may still succumb.

You are made of stronger stuff than me ......

..... but there again I have been financially incontinent for most of my adult life..... and have never let common sense get in the way :rolleyes:

• Like 3

About ten minutes on Wednesday and a couple of hours on Friday Bill.

Not long I know, but enough time to determine that the handling is superb and that the specification is wonderfully in tune with what I'd want from a small camera. Also long enough to work out that I don't need one at the moment.

My conclusions about image quality come from looking at the photos people have posted on this forum and elsewhere. I know it's not the same as printing my own photos, but it's good enough for me, given that I've bought many cameras and lenses without printing from them first, that I have a reasonable appreciation of the abilities of some of the people who have posted some very impressive photos taken with the camera, and finally, that I'm not buying one anyway.

Thank you Peter, that's what I thought. I am just amused that your glowing report after ten minutes of use attracts ten "thanks" (and counting) whereas I tried one for a few hours before forming my opinion and get castigated for daring to suggest that the XV may just be a little, tiny bit... Disappointing. :rolleyes:

Sent from another Galaxy

Thank you Peter, that's what I thought. I am just amused that your glowing report after ten minutes of use attracts ten "thanks" (and counting) whereas I tried one for a few hours before forming my opinion and get castigated for daring to suggest that the XV may just be a little, tiny bit... Disappointing. :rolleyes:

Sent from another Galaxy

...... and we buy cars just the same way ........ a quick half hour round the block and you reject it or cough up a years wages ....... often on bizarre trivia like the button position on the glovebox ....... madness ....:rolleyes:

The only sure fire way is buy and try. Nothing like the sobering effect of an empty wallet to sort out whether something is really what you need or want ...... and within 48 hours it will either be wall to wall smiles ...... or that dreadful loose-bowelled feeling when you realise that you desperately need to get rid of it somehow and recoup the cash before the wife finds out what you have done .......

To be honest ...... if I had tried this camera for a few hours indoors in a camera dealers I too would probably have also walked away rather underwhelmed, but after a couple of days wandering about taking pictures of things which I have multiple shots of from M9, M and MM, I came to realise this little camera punched well above it's weight and that it was very flexible and a pleasure to use........

I've found it a perfect companion to the M ....... and in many ways complimentary rather than an just an underpowered competitor......

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 2