Upgrade the firmware?

hanexp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I recently acquired an M9 with under 3000 actuations. Love the camera. No failures, troubles or weird messages from it. I am using an 8GB Secure Digital SDHC I, labeled Pro Master without issues so far. I'm intending to purchase another. I always format the card in the camera not in the computer using the YES command. The camera firmware is 1.138. I understand there have been updates since this firmware. I have searched and noted the instructions for updating the firmware but have not found advice about if I should perform the update considering that I haven't had any problems so far. So my question is, should I update or just enjoy version 1.138 as the camera seems to function fine? Am I missing something. I would much appreciate your advice and comments.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I always update to the latest firmware with all my electronic and computing devices.

Some people feel "if it ain't broke don't fix it", but I am willing to take the risk. :eek:

It only takes a couple of minutes, and usually minor things are fixed in firmware upgrades that are undocumented.

Yes, do it.

If you wish, for any reason to backdate your firmware into the future, earlier copies are available. I have some that can be emailed to you, however the latest 1.196 is widely used and successful.

I appreciate the comments from the experienced users on this forum. I have read posts about problems with certain SD cards, camera seizing up and the need to pull the battery to clear the issues. Of course I'd like the latest and greatest firmware but since my camera has been operating without any bugs that I am aware of I am hesitant to change. I'll probably upgrade at some point. Love the camera.

The two most recent firmware versions definitely solved two major problems I had with the M9

- residual red-edge color shifts with my 21 Elmarit (better corrections)

- camera crashes or streaky pictures with older, somewhat worn-out (M8-era) batteries (monitors actual battery performance)

I've had 1.196 installed for a year, and it has been heaven!

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've tried the last three versions on mine.

The older ones don't have the bug that can appear with discreet shutter, where it doesn't re-cock for a while - but they had other bugs like low battery potentially losing all your images (which has happened a couple of times, including when trying to retrograde to an older version), and bracketing with discreet shutter meaning it never takes the additional shots until you let go of the shutter.

Honestly, the current version is by far the best all-round.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, do it.

If you wish, for any reason to backdate your firmware into the future, earlier copies are available. I have some that can be emailed to you, however the latest 1.196 is widely used and successful.

I recently purchased an M9 with approx. 5000 actuation's. It has Firmware 1.196. I previously had an M8u and it was much faster in loading images to the card.

Additionally on discrete setting, it takes a long time to re-cock the shutter compared to the M8u. I have read comments in this forum that have had similar unsatisfactory results and they installed the previous firmware (1.176?) and regained the performance.

I read the Leica white paper on 1.196 and it makes changes with regard to the battery and enables the APO Summicron. My local Leica dealer had the earlier version on his M9 and did not have the problem. Therefore, I would like to install the firmware version that was prior to 1.196.

I note your offer to e-mail the firmware version.

I would appreciate your doing so. Then I can see if the re-cock and image download speeds up. My local Leica dealer had the earlier version on his M9 and did not have the problem.

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...
I recently purchased an M9 with approx. 5000 actuation's. It has Firmware 1.196. I previously had an M8u and it was much faster in loading images to the card.

Additionally on discrete setting, it takes a long time to re-cock the shutter compared to the M8u. I have read comments in this forum that have had similar unsatisfactory results and they installed the previous firmware (1.176?) and regained the performance.

I read the Leica white paper on 1.196 and it makes changes with regard to the battery and enables the APO Summicron. My local Leica dealer had the earlier version on his M9 and did not have the problem. Therefore, I would like to install the firmware version that was prior to 1.196.

I note your offer to e-mail the firmware version.

I would appreciate your doing so. Then I can see if the re-cock and image download speeds up. My local Leica dealer had the earlier version on his M9 and did not have the problem.

Regards,

My M9-P is set for discreet shutter. I just snapped 2 shots about 3 seconds apart. So the shutter recocked is less than 3 seconds. Firmware is 1.196.

Harry