M9 - Coating scratched on CCD

ethaninthestreets

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I rarely clean my M9 CCD, nothing more than using a rocket blower if needed. Recently I have discovered a quite obvious scratch on my photos at F16. So I checked my CCD pixel by pixel and saw a quite big scratch. I thought it was just a hair stuck on CCD so I brought my M9 to a local Leica dealer. They told me that it's a scratch on CCD coating. I had no idea how this happen and they had no clue either.

I contacted Leica Germany and told them the issue, the response was they're short in CCD, and they're moving the manufacture to a new place, which means the process of sending my M9 from Taiwan to Germany and get it fixed, then returning to me will take more than 2 months...2 months...jees....

has anyone here had the same problem? I didn't even touch my CCD and it got scratched...out of no where...and it'll take more than 2 months to get it fixed.

So it has never been wet cleaned? If you've never touched it to clean the sensor, and you've never let anybody else touch it, are you absolutely sure it is a scratch? I know you said that your local dealer told you it was a scratch, but I would just try a wet clean first before taking the more extreme approach of sending it off to Solms. The shutter's do throw off grease from time to time, and a streak of grease can look more dramatic than it really is.

Steve

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply.

The local Leica dealer actually did a full clean before they sent it out. The "scratch" is still there, they said it happened to some other M9 users, too..is it a M9 flaw?

If you look at the photo, the scratch is sit at slight upper left hand side near to the center of the CCD.

I only wish I could get my M9 back asap. I have been using my M9 for almost years, and am so use to manual focus...I shot with my Canon 40D over the weekend and it didn't feel like taking photos, no offense, but it was just thoughtless snaps..

There have been several reports of 'optical' faults on the M9 CCD, which a search on the Forum would reveal. However, they have not normally been described as 'scratches'.

Schmidt Marketing in Hong Kong are can replace sensors (they did so on my M9). Yes, there have been some comments about their service, but I have used them a few times and always found they do the job correctly.

Edited by Richardgb
typo