Thumbs Up Grip for M240

oslermarine

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys,

I'm back and forth about the thumbs up grip for the M240. I don't have a chance to try one and it's definitely not cheap. I was wondering what you guys thoughts are regarding this. Does it improve the grip by that much? I wear a size large glove. Also does it damage the hotshoe port? Thanks.

Yes, in my opinion it is fantastic and well worth the money. I would not be without one on my M camera ... having used one with the M8/M9 and now M240.

Interestingly, there is one of these being auction on ebay right now if you are interested ...

MatchTechnical Thumbs Up EP-10S Thumb Rest for the Leica M (Typ 240) | eBay

• Like 3

I use the Thumbs Up on my M240 and love it. It really helps with stability and I find that I can hand-hold my M at much slower speeds. It also looks great. Just a note, I also have the Really Right Stuff L-Bracket and grip which is just fantastic and a super complement to the Thumbs Up IMHO. My recommendation is that you go for it.

Have fun,

Bob

Carefully engineered with tight tolerances. Doesn't affect or damage hotshoe. Padded with bumpers fixed to the back to protect camera evf port & body paint finish up to the scroll wheel. Paint matches perfectly in color & sheen (I have black). Grip & stability on camera improved even with gloves on in cold weather.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For me the RRS grip is a nice tight fit like all of their products. However, for my hands and when using the #3 button on the front I found the Leica grip a better fit to my hand. I use a $65. RRS L bracket on the Leica grip. With the Leica grip and the thumb rest built into the camera body I find it all comes together for my hand. Thus I do not use the RRS grip and integrated L bracket any longer.

Since I use the EVF from time to time I do not use my black Thumbs Up any longer either.

Probably should sell them.

Likewise.

It’s a sad situation. I reconcile it by deciding that when I use the EVF (which currently is never), I’m less concerned with stability. With heavy lenses, the TU is mandatory, with wide-angles, less so.

-jbl

• 1 month later...
The only thing I don't like about TU is a fact I have to remove it when using EVF.

You don't have to remove this grip to use your hot shoe for an EVF, or accessory viewfinder, or flash, .......

Steve

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Had the Thumbs Up for the 240 with the shoe.

Sold it right off.

The TU seemed out of place sticking out, on the back, the shoe stuck up higher. I thought it would affect finder accuracy. And lastly I didn't like having to use the supplied hex to tighten down the set nut into the shoe to prevent it from moving about.

I use a hot shoe flash, and 21 finder often.

I think Leica designed their M just fine. I don't think the TU is a real step forward. Like a shutter release button accessory it's important only if you think it is.

Edited by rafael_macia
  • Like 1

I find both my M8.2 and M240 as slippery as soap bars per se and i would not have bought them if Thumbs Up or Thumbies were not available most probably. YMMV.

I fully agree. The thumbie has been my choice on M9 and MM because of small size, great ergonomics (for my hand, any way) and keeping the hot shoe free for use for external viewfinder or blitz.

It would be great of Steve has been able to come up with a similar, durable solution for the M240 (keeping the hot shoe and the thumb wheel free), which the post by 250swb might indicate.