Info display bug

jrh68uk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There's a bug in the image info display which has had me puzzled for a little while, but yesterday I had a chance to check it through.

Just as I did on the M9 before it, with the Typ 240 I tend to set it to set it to take DNG + JPG but with the Jpg at reduced size - 12MP in this case. This way the Jpgs are really used as proofs and can be used for the web immediately if desired, where the size is ample.

So I set the camera accordingly, take an image and check. Yep, info tells me that the jpg is 12. Power off.

Later on, power up again and take another. It tells me that this jpg is 24! Looking back, it tells me that the previous is also 24. Odd, especially as the Jpgs are, indeed, 12 MP in reality.

I choose my saved setting again (or simply re-select 12 in the jpg setting, even though 12 is already set). Take an image and it's saying it's 12. Take another later on, following power off, and we're back to it saying it's 24. Again, in reality the Jpgs are all at 12 mp.

So, this has no effect on the actual images but is mildly irritating, all the same. I will report it but it's hardly critical, so thought I'd post here first in case anyone else would like to check.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Needless to say I didn't get around to reporting this and it's unfortunately still a bug in the new v2.0.1.5 firmware. Readily re-creatable: set DNG + jpg 12 and take a pic. Info shows the jpg is 12. Power cycle and display it again, where info will show jpg as 24. The only time it displays the correct information is for images taken after switch on and before corresponding switch off.

Again, it's an info display bug only; images aren't affected at all.

OK, there is a difference. I think. Now I can't go back and check on the old fw version but anyway, it actually makes the bug easier to describe.

In the initial post (v2.0.0.12) I said: "Later on, power up again and take another. It tells me that this jpg is 24!" This is no longer the case.

Info is correct between power on and power off - but only for those images taken within that time. There is no need to re-select anything to get it to display the correct info for those images taken within that time. Any taken prior to the previous power off will show incorrectly as 24.

Now, I know that I'm set to jpg 12, and I can see that it shows that correctly as jpg 12 for the images taken within a power cycle but it's slightly annoying that it subsequently displays jpg 24, which is wrong.

Hello. On the Set screen: File format = DNG + JPEG fine

JPEG resolution = 12 MP

I have DNG compression on (shows as DNGc - see below).

Take a pic and press Play (my auto image review is set to off). You should see the full image on the screen. Press Info. On mine that shows the histogram. Press Info again. On mine that shows under/over exposure warning flashes. Press Info again to see the file metadata such as filename, date, colour space and user profile name. In the top right it should say

DNGc + JPEG (symbol) 12

and it will do as long as you don't power off between taking and displaying. Now power off. Power back on and press play. Press Info again until you see the file metadata. Now it will say

DNGc + JPEG (symbol) 24

which is obviously incorrect. Don't power off; you can now take another pic and this will again show correctly as 12 but go back to the previous pic and it will still incorrectly say it's 24. Power off and on again and both will incorrectly show as 24.

I can't reproduce it either. Oops, lost my dng setting after the update. If I follow the instructions properly it fails for me too. If you only have jpg and no dng, then it works correctly. Compression is irrelevant.

Edited by Exodies
Didn't follow the instructions.

• 5 months later...

I've just got around to installing v2.0.1.7. I was hoping a fix for this bug would have been included but, sadly, it has not.

It is harmless but it's a fully reproducible bug, nonetheless. I'd like to see it fixed so I'll report it properly to Leica this time...

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

To be clear: it's not the setting that changes. It's simply the display when pressing Info when the taken image is displayed. It's a small bug which affects nothing but the info display; nevertheless it is a bug which Leica ackowledged some months ago. It doesn't affect things day to day but it is annoying having the display say something that's incorrect after a power cycle. It ought to be such an easy fix. 

Edited by jrh68uk

• 9 months later...

On the basis that it took three FW updates to correct the GPS bug (5 minute deletion of last position), I would think you should expect the JPG display bug to be corrected in the next FW update. 

Wilson

• Like 1