How many shots do you average with the M240 battery?

dant

So far, battery life has not been a constraint for me.

I tend to go out for a walk on a Sunday morning with the camera, and so far I find that over the course of three weeks I can fill a 16GB SD card and drain a fully charged battery. That's *very roughly* 400 shots. Live View is turned off and I'm not using an EVF-2.

I did turn on Live View one day, just to see what happened, and I found that the battery life is then down to one day's shooting.

If I was going to an all day event, I'd probably take a second battery

- Z

To be honest, I have no idea. Subjectively the battery goes on forever, and it is a surprise each time it runs down. I came into the habit of carrying spare batteries early on in my digital “career”, so I find it no hassle.

• Like 4

I've never managed to run the battery out.. probably got 400-600 into it before changing. I usually change it if "end of day's shooting" and the charge is < 50% though. I very rarely use live view.

The only day's where I've had noticeable drops in battery that would make me nervous about the spare being around are when live view is used. Without LV, it's easily twice, probably more times the life of my M9.

Guest jvansmit

I have to change the battery pretty much every time I go out shooting, maybe 300-400 shots but I walk for hours on end & have a very bad chimping addiction.

I mostly use classic metering with an occasional flip into advanced if the light is very contrasty (or I'm feeling lazy!) but LV only rarely. Advanced metering drains the battery very quickly.

No real idea of shots fired but I never really have the 'low battery paranoia' I have with just about every other electronic device I own. I shoot a mixture of LV/EVF/RF and it more than covers my shootin needs. Did a 6 hour event with the camera almost on and shooting a lot of the time. Drained 1 battery and just a bit of the 2nd. It just seems to go on and on. Apart from when the power switch accidentally turns itself on in your bag and the camera takes lots of black photos...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

on normal circumstances, it is extremely hard to drain the battery on the M240..unless quantity over quality is your motto. the only time i have EVER drained it was when i was out for a shoot from early morning til late evening with the big stopper on the camera the whole time. i took about 250 shots, all long exposures ranging from 2sec to 1 min. more than enough durable for my everyday use.

Until now a battery lasts about two weeks here. But I only do occasional shots not every day.

I was to an evening event a few weeks before. When I started the battery shows 40 % charge. I leave the camera on with auto off set to 10 minutes.

No ELV, live view or handgrip. The pictures are displayed for 5 seconds after shooting.

Six hours and about 105 pictures (210 files wihle DNG + JPEG) later the battery was empty.

f-)

My personal best with the M (Typ 240) was approx. 1,000 frames with one battery within five or six hours, mostly indoors, i. e. no low temperatures. I chimped only occasionally, to check exposure, and used live-view for just two or three dozen frames.

But that's not average. When shooting normally—i. e. a couple of dozen frames a day, for a week or two or three—then the number of frame per charge will be significantly lower ... maybe 400 - 500 frames or so. And lower still when using live-view frequently.

When not using live-view (i. e. most of the time) I always use classic light metering.

Generally—as others said before—battery life simply is a non-issue. I carry two and hardly ever need both of them in one single day. I guess if I was using life-view or video more often then I'd carry three or four.

I never look frankly, but I always carry a second one with me for short stints and two extras for the entire day as I use the MF grip and often EVF. EVF use depends on lens usage. I never let the M240 sleep since I am not that pleased with wakeup times.

The other day I shot without EVF, took about 250 DNG shots in 5 hours and still had 65% battery capacity even while using the MF grip. Another M240 friend was along without MF grip and he had 85% battery capacity after shooting about the same as myself.

Battery charge is a non-issue for me these days.

What sort of battery life are you getting with your M240.

Also give a note to your shooting style if it eats up battery power.

Don't know. I have to switch sd cards when the battery is still 75 % or so ( 16 Gb not full mostly about 200 frames ), so I keep losing track. Maybe I 'll write it down next times.

I have a M240 for every day carry. In the shops and commuting; they all provide opportunity for me to capture photographs. I rarely use live view and the EVF - 95% of the time it is just the LED viewfinder. That being said, when the camera is in my hand, it is always on. I never let it turn off. It does go to sleep, but i often half-press the shutter so the framelines and the exposure meter is always on.

A battery can easily last many days to a week. Usually when the battery reaches below 50%, I will change it.

If I am going for a day's event like a wedding (as a guest trying not to be - but ocassinoally - the annoying photographic uncle who gets in the way of the ceremony). One battery has always been enough; at the end of the day, the battery will be in the red zone. That being said, I've always bring a second battery just in case.

New to the M240, so this interests me for day-long events. So far, initial impression from a few outings for which my batteries likely haven't done the full cycle of a few charges to reach optimum capacity, but...

~200 frames out in sub-zero weather (not less than -10C) for a few hours with a fair amount of live view use, ended up at about 45%.

~350 frames during a two hour indoor event, with some live view use (probably less than 5% of total images) and only 20% of battery capacity was used.

The second point above is promising to me, as ~350 frames is about what I'd get out of an M9 battery before switching it, and I'd typically go through 4-5 of them at intensive full day events.

I think it's going to be very dependent on a number of factors, still to be determined by me. My experience with Canon DSLRs such as the 1DX has been that I can get a huge range of results, primarily dependent on whether or not live view was used, and how frequently images were reviewed. With that camera I've ranged from less than a couple hundred to over 8,000 images on a single charge. Other than live view, I've found that card write time has a significant influence on battery life. The more and the longer the camera has to write to the card, the more energy it consumes, and the fewer shots per charge one gets. Jpeg is more energy efficient than RAW, but since I prefer to shoot RAW, compressed should be more efficient than uncompressed.