Two lens kit travel combo

colonel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Right now I digging the Tri 16-18-21 along with the Summicron 50.  My single lens choice remains the Summicron 35.

This is something I struggle with.

If a 35mm is your single lens of choice, why is it not included in your 2 lens kit? Is the single lens kit or the two lens kit a compromise?

• Like 1

If a 35mm is your single lens of choice, why is it not included in your 2 lens kit? Is the single lens kit or the two lens kit a compromise?

Yes I compromise and its tormenting me !
My all time favorite focal length is the 35mm

My 3 lens kit is 28 ,50 and 90...... I live with it but my favorite focal length is at home and it really bugs me.

When I choose 2 lenses kit  28 , 50 .....same thing

I crop the 28 and tell myself that its a 35 ....but its not

Life is best when  I walk with my old friend the 35

And yes I do pass by some w/a and telephoto shots

Advice welcome.... I'm driving myself crazy and is not too far a drive
Edited by ECohen
  • Like 3

My all time favorite focal length is the 35mm

My 3 lens kit is 28 ,50 and 90...... I live with it but my favorite focal length is at home and it really bugs me.

When I choose 2 lenses kit  28 , 50 .....same thing

Why is this your 2 and 3 lens kits? Is it because you think they are the most versatile or that it is the "correct" grouping?

I say nuts to that, build your kit from your favourite lens, and add in your second favourite and so on. If that means you take a 35 and 50 then so be it.

I learnt long ago that my best photos are from my favourite kit. When I feel forced into something else, the photos might be okay, but they're never as good and I don't enjoy the process as much. Sometimes it's better to just put down the camera and have a coffee or a beer depending on what time it is. Like Sean Penn's line from the Walter Mitty movie; "If I like a moment ... sometimes I don't like to have the distraction of the camera". Sometimes you don't have to take a photo.

• Like 5

If I carry the 35 as well, then its a 3-lense kit... Which I often do.  Plus the 75.  Then its my everything kit.  Carrying fewer is always a compromise.  If I'd carry the 35 and the Tri then that poor little 50 wouldn't get used!  And I do enjoy it sometimes.  Like many here, I'm sure, I've gone long periods using only one lens to develop my eye for that lens.  Mostly the 35.  But its also fun to go out with something else.  No rules!  If you are enjoying it, it's good...

Let's see ..

Japan trip 2016: 35 Summaron and 50 Summicron - loads of fun

Japan trip 2017: 28 Elmarit ASPH and 35 Summaron - still loads of fun

Next Japan trip: say 28 Elmarit ASPH and 50 Summicron - it will be loads of fun

Take two lenses between, say 21 and 90 for an M Leica, and see if you can enjoy your trip ;)

Really, there's no right or wrong, just pick two (that you own) and go!

J :)

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Let's see ..

Japan trip 2016: 35 Summaron and 50 Summicron - loads of fun

Japan trip 2017: 28 Elmarit ASPH and 35 Summaron - still loads of fun

Next Japan trip: say 28 Elmarit ASPH and 50 Summicron - it will be loads of fun

Take two lenses between, say 21 and 90 for an M Leica, and see if you can enjoy your trip ;)

Really, there's no right or wrong, just pick two (that you own) and go!

You are correct 100% correct

But I come from am Advertising Photographers background, where the Creative Director expected me to handle what ever was thrown my way.......hence "The Kit"

I'm retired now and old habits are hard to break.

Pick two..... any two and have fun .......For me the most useful would be 35 50

but man ......even knowing your correct I'd miss the ends

Which is why I'm tormented  .........and probably why I take the 28 over the beloved 35 ......stupid isn't it?

• Like 4

About as close as I can come is a 21 Super Elmar, 35 Summicron ASPH and either 75 or 90mm.

If I were to go with the 28-50 combination, I'd be slipping the 18/3.8 in the bag too.

Edited by Gregm61

on my SL, I like to take my 21, 35(preFLE), and 75 Summiluxes, but tend to use the 35 most.

on my next work trip to China, I will be taking my Q, plus monochrom with 24 elmar, 50 Summicron (v4), and 90 macro elmar. On a trip there later this year, I might just bring my MP (with 25 Biogon and 50 Planar Zeiss lenses) and film...

I tend to make up my kits based on trip expectations and how much I want to carry, like most of us do, I am sure.... but tend to bring 3 and not 2 at a time (but carry 1 or 2 when out and about and leave others in hotel safe). L lenses are quite small and I do not feel the pressure to limit too much, especially if important/rare trip.

You are correct 100% correct

But I come from am Advertising Photographers background, where the Creative Director expected me to handle what ever was thrown my way.......hence "The Kit"

I'm retired now and old habits are hard to break.

Pick two..... any two and have fun .......For me the most useful would be 35 50

but man ......even knowing your correct I'd miss the ends

Which is why I'm tormented  .........and probably why I take the 28 over the beloved 35 ......stupid isn't it?

Ha, ha. I feel your torment, and no it is not stupid!

If Leica would bring back the MATE 28-35-50 in a 2.8, many of us would be talking about the ultimate one lens kit :)

(Yes, I do like having the 35 in there. Can't go wrong with it and it's reassuring to have. Keep that to yourself ;))

Cheers

• Like 2

If Leica would bring back the MATE 28-35-50 in a 2.8, many of us would be talking about the ultimate one lens kit :)

(Yes, I do like having the 35 in there. Can't go wrong with it and it's reassuring to have. Keep that to yourself ;))

Cheers

Except it would be so big you couldn't see out of the viewfinder.

Cheers

And here I was just about to say, "yes it is stupid".

If 35mm is your favourite then why would you leave it at home!

Try just taking one lens more often. It'll reassure you that you can't get every photo and that that's okay.

• Like 1

@ECohen

Ned's remark below cuts to what I'm saying. 28 and 50 might average to 35 (39 I know..), but neither of them are are 35.

I would probably go with 10mm + 90mm because they both average as a 50mm lens, and 50 is my favorite focal length.

So 10 + 90 is it!

Edited by michaelwj

And here I was just about to say, "yes it is stupid".

If 35mm is your favourite then why would you leave it at home!

Try just taking one lens more often. It'll reassure you that you can't get every photo and that that's okay.

It's not important enough to be stupid, but just important enough to be an amusing conundrum :)

I am totally resigned to only getting the photos I take ;) I can take them with whichever lens I happen to have on the camera I'm holding. I travel with two cameras so that's two (different focal length) lenses. I find the experience very enjoyable.

I could easily live with 28 or 35 alone, but not the 50.

It's nice to have the choice :)

• Like 3