Two lens kit travel combo

colonel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Returned this week from over a month in the Himalaya.

Since I had a porter I took 6 lenses and 3 bodies (M10, M-P 240, M246) as an experiment for what would be used.

(I received the M10 in a rushed shipping the day before departure so that changed my equipment plans dramatically and led to this experiment. No way was I going to take an untested M10 as my only body!)

Here are figures for the 6 lenses used (more images than normal for me as a large reason for the trip was a multi-day Buddhist dance ceremony):

75mm APO Summicron ASPH  - 1937 shots

50mm Rigid (1957) for Monochrom  - 288 shots

50mm Summilux ASPH  - 3032

35mm Summicron ASPH  - 44

28mm Elmarit ASPH  - 2681

Tri-Elmar 16-18-21 ASPH - 15

Annoyingly, the metadata from Lightroom shows that I used 9 lenses on the trip! I only caught one of these 6-bit code mistakes during the trip itself. All errors came while using the M10.

One error that I caught at least twice was the M10 reading the new 28mm Elmarit-M as "R-Adapter M" for 52 shots. (the 'fix' was turning the M10 off, taking off the lens and wiping my finger over the 6-Bit coding, re-mounting, then turning the camera back on.)

Also showing up, in errors that I did not see at the time, were

- Summarit-M 9mm f2.5  - 81 shots (75 APO-Cron was mounted, I think)

- Tri-Elmar 28-35-50  - 32 shots (the 50 Lux was mounted, I think)

So, it is easy to see that the Tri-Elmar Wide and 35mm Cron could be eliminated from a future trip like this. In fact I only mounted the 35 because I thought it silly to have it and not use it. For many years it was my most-used lens! (Perhaps the 28mm could replace the Tri-Elmar Wide by taking several shots and then stitching them together. I have not tried this so don't know.)

Tho little used, the 1957 'Rigid' model of the 50mm Summicron pairs so beautifully with the M246 Monochrom that I leave it permanently mounted to that body.

Anyway, this little exercise confirms that the kit I would have carried - a 28, 50 and 75, are where I shoot while traveling.

The next travel experiment will replace the 75 APO Cron with the 75 Lux, a lens that I use more often when at home. It is quite heavy but when one hits an image perfectly it is oh...so...magic!

I've been on the fence for a year about what 75mm to keep and still have not come to a conclusion. The 35 and Tri-Elmar might leave the nest with the M-P 240, however, if I can get the courage to let them go! Same for the Monochrom after I study the recent images from the M10 and convert some to B&W. I went thru a buying splurge the last couple years and it would be nice to return to the simplicity of three lenses and one (dependable) body.

Edited by coupdefoudre
  • Like 6

Returned this week from over a month in the Himalaya.

Since I had a porter I took 6 lenses and 3 bodies (M10, M-P 240, M246) as an experiment for what would be used.

(I received the M10 in a rushed shipping the day before departure so that changed my equipment plans dramatically and led to this experiment. No way was I going to take an untested M10 as my only body!)

Here are figures for the 6 lenses used (more images than normal for me as a large reason for the trip was a multi-day Buddhist dance ceremony):

75mm APO Summicron ASPH  - 1937 shots

50mm Rigid (1957) for Monochrom  - 288 shots

50mm Summilux ASPH  - 3032

35mm Summicron ASPH  - 44

28mm Elmarit ASPH  - 2681

Tri-Elmar 16-18-21 ASPH - 15

Annoyingly, the metadata from Lightroom shows that I used 9 lenses on the trip! I only caught one of these 6-bit code mistakes during the trip itself. All errors came while using the M10.

One error that I caught at least twice was the M10 reading the new 28mm Elmarit-M as "R-Adapter M" for 52 shots. (the 'fix' was turning the M10 off, taking off the lens and wiping my finger over the 6-Bit coding, re-mounting, then turning the camera back on.)

Also showing up, in errors that I did not see at the time, were

- Summarit-M 9mm f2.5  - 81 shots (75 APO-Cron was mounted, I think)

- Tri-Elmar 28-35-50  - 32 shots (the 50 Lux was mounted, I think)

So, it is easy to see that the Tri-Elmar Wide and 35mm Cron could be eliminated from a future trip like this. In fact I only mounted the 35 because I thought it silly to have it and not use it. For many years it was my most-used lens! (Perhaps the 28mm could replace the Tri-Elmar Wide by taking several shots and then stitching them together. I have not tried this so don't know.)

Tho little used, the 1957 'Rigid' model of the 50mm Summicron pairs so beautifully with the M246 Monochrom that I leave it permanently mounted to that body.

Anyway, this little exercise confirms that the kit I would have carried - a 28, 50 and 75, are where I shoot while traveling.

The next travel experiment will replace the 75 APO Cron with the 75 Lux, a lens that I use more often when at home. It is quite heavy but when one hits an image perfectly it is oh...so...magic!

I've been on the fence for a year about what 75mm to keep and still have not come to a conclusion. The 35 and Tri-Elmar might leave the nest with the M-P 240, however, if I can get the courage to let them go! Same for the Monochrom after I study the recent images from the M10 and convert some to B&W. I went thru a buying splurge the last couple years and it would be nice to return to the simplicity of three lenses and one (dependable) body.

Hi!

It is valuable sharing your experience!

Please advice your test and feel when shooting with M10!

Have a good day!

Many thanks!

Hi!

It is valuable sharing your experience!

Please advice your test and feel when shooting with M10!

Have a good day!

Many thanks!

Despite some glitches (that will, we all hope, be fixed in software updates) the M10 I received is marvelous! 

The images I took with it seem to be a little 'cooler' than my M-P 240 images. That's an OK trade-off, fixable in post production, to get rid of the magenta issues sometimes found on the M & M-P cameras.

My favorite change, and the second reason I got the M10, was for a physical ISO knob atop the body. When shooting in quickly changing light or environments it is a REALLY nice thing. The LCD route with the previous bodies is not all that difficult or time-consuming to switch but I would sometimes forget to move the ISO back to my standard 200 from something higher. Quite a few shots messed up because of this forgetfulness (I often leave the LCD covered and don't peek at every shot so would not know until I bothered to look at screen results.)

If I leave the ISO knob on the M10 in the 'up' position it makes me take a look with some frequency so I can catch a 'wrong' ISO. On this May & early June Himalayan trip I would be out in intense sunshine and then in a dark monastery and then out again into, maybe, deep shadow surrounded by bright light.

The third reason I wanted the M10 was because I had gotten tired of the corpulent (read: fat bodied) nature of the M-P 240 and M246. OR SO I THOUGHT!

Before my first foray into Leica digital I had used my 1989 M6 (a beautiful camera made during the move from Solms to Wetzlar that had parts from both factories!) I believed I had never gotten fully comfortable with the thick-bodied M's. Well.... I have to eat some crow, as they say, as one who frequently complained about this extra few millimeters of body width. The M10 is requiring some adjustment to get used to, size-wise, and my hand often feels cramped after a full day of holding and use! So I guess this is a case of 'be careful what you wish for.' After a month-plus of using the M10 everyday/all day and adding a half-leather case with a bump-out I'm settling into the adjustment. And -- I find it just as easy to revert to the M-P 240 & M246 without having adjustment issues between the swap during a day of shooting. This latter issue is not to be overlooked.

Oh, as I write this I remember there was a fourth important issue: I have a couple lenses that are NOT 6-Bit coded. I would always forget to change the AUTO code reading to Manual and then identify the closest approximation Leica lens. This was a wonky and time-consuming operation in the field - even assuming I remembered to do it, and I almost never did. The M10 moves the reading to AUTO with any lens switch and I've ditched all my non-coded lenses except for my beautiful and immaculate 50mm 'Rigid' Summicron.

I should add that this AUTO function is not without issues. I used 6 lenses on this recent trip and the M10 has listed 8 lenses plus the R-Adaptor M in my Lightroom metadata. So it pays to check - if you remember, after a lens change.

All-in-all, I am very happy with the M10. Maybe even enough to sell my M-P 240 and M246 after spending more than a month with all of them together on this recent trip.

I am sure there are other things I could address but I am writing off-the-cuff and these items, above, are what readily come to mind and this post is long enough.

• Like 4

I have only two lenses so it makes it quite easy!

I rented several to determine which suited me best and the 50 Lux and 28 Cron came up winners for me.

There are always those few moments in every journey that I wish I had a 135 or an ultra wide, but those are maybe 3-5% of the time.

I'm quite happy to stay with what I have and miss those shots.

Edited by mhicks
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Despite some glitches (that will, we all hope, be fixed in software updates) the M10 I received is marvelous!

The images I took with it seem to be a little 'cooler' than my M-P 240 images. That's an OK trade-off, fixable in post production, to get rid of the magenta issues sometimes found on the M & M-P cameras.

My favorite change, and the second reason I got the M10, was for a physical ISO knob atop the body. When shooting in quickly changing light or environments it is a REALLY nice thing. The LCD route with the previous bodies is not all that difficult or time-consuming to switch but I would sometimes forget to move the ISO back to my standard 200 from something higher. Quite a few shots messed up because of this forgetfulness (I often leave the LCD covered and don't peek at every shot so would not know until I bothered to look at screen results.)

If I leave the ISO knob on the M10 in the 'up' position it makes me take a look with some frequency so I can catch a 'wrong' ISO. On this May & early June Himalayan trip I would be out in intense sunshine and then in a dark monastery and then out again into, maybe, deep shadow surrounded by bright light.

The third reason I wanted the M10 was because I had gotten tired of the corpulent (read: fat bodied) nature of the M-P 240 and M246. OR SO I THOUGHT!

Before my first foray into Leica digital I had used my 1989 M6 (a beautiful camera made during the move from Solms to Wetzlar that had parts from both factories!) I believed I had never gotten fully comfortable with the thick-bodied M's. Well.... I have to eat some crow, as they say, as one who frequently complained about this extra few millimeters of body width. The M10 is requiring some adjustment to get used to, size-wise, and my hand often feels cramped after a full day of holding and use! So I guess this is a case of 'be careful what you wish for.' After a month-plus of using the M10 everyday/all day and adding a half-leather case with a bump-out I'm settling into the adjustment. And -- I find it just as easy to revert to the M-P 240 & M246 without having adjustment issues between the swap during a day of shooting. This latter issue is not to be overlooked.

Oh, as I write this I remember there was a fourth important issue: I have a couple lenses that are NOT 6-Bit coded. I would always forget to change the AUTO code reading to Manual and then identify the closest approximation Leica lens. This was a wonky and time-consuming operation in the field - even assuming I remembered to do it, and I almost never did. The M10 moves the reading to AUTO with any lens switch and I've ditched all my non-coded lenses except for my beautiful and immaculate 50mm 'Rigid' Summicron.

I should add that this AUTO function is not without issues. I used 6 lenses on this recent trip and the M10 has listed 8 lenses plus the R-Adaptor M in my Lightroom metadata. So it pays to check - if you remember, after a lens change.

All-in-all, I am very happy with the M10. Maybe even enough to sell my M-P 240 and M246 after spending more than a month with all of them together on this recent trip.

I am sure there are other things I could address but I am writing off-the-cuff and these items, above, are what readily come to mind and this post is long enough.

Hi!

Many thanks for your advice of M10.

I have owned SL 601 and SL 24/90, M Apo 50 and M Lux 75 over one year. And I have also owned M10 over 1 month. But, I have not much experiment and time for shooting!

Have a nice day!

Thanks!

Edited by phongph

I travel with three lenses: 28 elmarit asph, 50 lux asph and a summarit 90 2.5.

If I had to choose two, I would go for the 28 for city shots in narrow streets and landscape,  50 for streetshots and evening, but while the 50 was in repair I learned the 90 is a very versatile lens.

• Like 1

I travel with three lenses: 28 elmarit asph, 50 lux asph and a summarit 90 2.5.

If I had to choose two, I would go for the 28 for city shots in narrow streets and landscape,  50 for streetshots and evening, but while the 50 was in repair I learned the 90 is a very versatile lens.

A 28mm & 90mm set make a good pair for travel photography.  They will cover landscapes, architecture, street and portraits.  If you use filters you have the choice of either 39mm or 46mm filters, so only one set of filters is needed. 

The 28mm elmarit-m f2.8 asph and 90mm macro elmar-m f4 are a very compact set that takes 39mm filters.

The 28mm f2 summicron asph and 90mm f2.8 elmarit-m are only slightly more bulky with 46mm filters.

• Like 3

Hi!

Many thanks for your advice of M10.

I have owned SL 601 and SL 24/90, M Apo 50 and M Lux 75 over one year. And I have also owned M10 over 1 month. But, I have not much experiment and time for shooting!

Have a nice day!

Thanks!

An important fact I forgot to include about my M10: It got extremely hot after taking lots of shots in a row on what was not a very hot day at an altitude of about 13,000 feet (circa 4000 meters.) These were not shots using the Continuous Mode, just regular clicking of the shutter one shot at a time. I turned off the camera and it took quite a few minutes to cool down. I had to do this several times on my recent trip. The camera never showed FAILURE but I was worried that if I continued to shoot it might overload and burn some circuit out.

I was lucky to notice this heating as I use a half-leather case and so rarely touch the actual camera body itself. I only noticed the heat when I touched the LCD screen to clear dust off it and then the Navigation button.

This heating of the body is something many have noticed with the new M10. Not sure what, if anything, can be done in software to lessen this behaviour.

• Like 1

Thanks for your insight.

I may be wrong but I suspect that if you had taken a 90mm it would have replaced most of your 75mm lens use.  This is written as a keen 75mm lens user (Summilux & Summicron).

I've always felt that 28 (or maybe 24) & 50, and then 90, cover most of what I would need for general travel.

If I was to take a fourth lens it would be a 21.

Regards,

Mark

....and start posting those photographs....

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 2

An important fact I forgot to include about my M10: It got extremely hot after taking lots of shots in a row on what was not a very hot day at an altitude of about 13,000 feet (circa 4000 meters.) These were not shots using the Continuous Mode, just regular clicking of the shutter one shot at a time. I turned off the camera and it took quite a few minutes to cool down. I had to do this several times on my recent trip. The camera never showed FAILURE but I was worried that if I continued to shoot it might overload and burn some circuit out.

I was lucky to notice this heating as I use a half-leather case and so rarely touch the actual camera body itself. I only noticed the heat when I touched the LCD screen to clear dust off it and then the Navigation button.

This heating of the body is something many have noticed with the new M10. Not sure what, if anything, can be done in software to lessen this behaviour.

You may want to take off that leather half case if the camera is getting hot. It likely significantly reduces the ability of the camera to dissipate heat.

Since the question was specifically a two lens combo, I would go with the Elmarit II 28 ASPH f/2.8 and the APO-Summicron 90 f/2 ASPH. The lightweight Elmarit balances the rather heavy APO 90 (I personally did not like the feel of the rubberized Summarit 90). I would take these with a body each. Always having the counterpart frameline in view (28/90) sometimes helps getting ideas for alternative framing, which can then be executed quickly.

Honestly, I would always additionally pocket the Summicron 50 f/2 (don't leave home without it!), but this would transgress the two lens topic of this thread...

• Like 1

Since the question was specifically a two lens combo, ...Honestly, I would always additionally pocket the Summicron 50 f/2 (don't leave home without it!), but this would transgress the two lens topic of this thread...

See, it is very difficult for any of us Leica-volk/folk to adhere 100% to the request of a post. But you came pretty close to sticking to it!

You may want to take off that leather half case if the camera is getting hot. It likely significantly reduces the ability of the camera to dissipate heat.

I did leave it off when the wind was not blowing great amounts of dust - but that was rare as the winds are pretty constant from about noon to the evening in Upper Mustang.

Thanks for your insight.

I may be wrong but I suspect that if you had taken a 90mm it would have replaced most of your 75mm lens use.  This is written as a keen 75mm lens user (Summilux & Summicron).

I've always felt that 28 (or maybe 24) & 50, and then 90, cover most of what I would need for general travel.

If I was to take a fourth lens it would be a 21.

Regards,

Mark

....and start posting those photographs....

Alas, I do not own a 90mm lens (but have borrowed one for a short time.)  I had a difficult time focusing quickly and accurately with the older Cron I borrowed. The focusing window on the M10 is much improved so I may borrow a friend's current Cron and play with that. The 'downside' is that he is thinking about selling it, having moved to the new digital Hassey, and I am trying to suppress GAS.

I began posting some pics to the FaceBook M10 page a day or so ago and one to a 50mm page here on the L-Camera Forum. Guess I ought to find the 75 and 28 pages.

Of my current lenses, if taking only two, likely a Zeiss Distagon 35mm and Summilux 75mm.  Both big and heavy, but its only two lenses, so no issue. Beyond the difference is focal length, I appreciate having the diversity in rendering as well. Someday, I could imagine a 28 Summilux on the short end instead. 

For me it depends on the destination and purpose of the travel.

If it's a "general" city-based holiday with my wife/family, then it would be a light kit either (a) 21 Skopar and 35 cron v3 or (B) 28/2 MS Optics and 50 Elmar M -- these would cover some architectural/landscape and people.

If it's a more purposeful photography trip, it would be 35 Lux FLE and Noct f1 v3 (I would "sneak" in the 21 skopar or 28 MS Optics -- so tiny, come on!). I can probably travel with just a 35 (cron or lux). Admittedly, I almost always travel with 3: 21 Skopar, 35 cron/lux and 90 tele elmarit because they are so tiny and light - carrying them all day is nothing.

My stable of super lightweights are:

21 CV Color Skopar: 130g

28/2 (MS Optics): 60g

35 cron v3: 190g

50/2.8 Elmar M: 180g 

90/2.8 Tele elmarit: 225g

Limited to two, it'd be a superwide, the current optic of choice (because I just bought a new one, LOL) is the 21mm f3.4 Super Elmar and 35mm f2 Summicron ASPH.

Being a superwide nut, I also have the 18mm Super Elmar and 24mm Elmar so the superwide option of choice can vary by the day....

I typically carry a third, the 75mm f2 APO. By far, it's the least used of the three.

Edited by Gregm61