Two lens kit travel combo

colonel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is my asinine question for the weekend, but a real one for me as I build up a lens kit for my M240 (previous Leica kit was sold - silly me, anyhow move on ....)

35mm f1.4 FLE + 75mm f2.5 - will I miss the 50mm ? the best compromise between DOF play and a wide angle of view ?

24mm f2.8 + 50mm f1.4 ASPH - sometimes 35mm can be a partial substitute for both and can be carried around on its own ?

35mm Summicron + 50mm f1.4 ASPH. Two different walkabouts for different days and moods.

With all of these I would get an R adaptor and an R 180mm f3.4 APO for long telephoto work, but would not walk around with this lens - special events only.

thanks in advance

Edited by colonel
  • Like 1

If I was going on a trip and could only take two lenses I think today I would grab the 28 Elmarit ASPH and the 50 Summilux ASPH, but I would struggle not to take the 35 FLE instead of the 28 as it's my favorite lens and different enough from the 50 to nicely compliment it. However I've grown to love the little 28 Elmarit ASPH these past few months, and for travel it's just such a perfect balance of size and performance in an economical package. Also the 28mm focal length is just so practical for travel, as you can get in close for street or step back for architecture.

• Like 15

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If I had to pick one lens for walk-around I'd go for the longest focal length I could possibly get away with and that typically for my work - think dingy narrow alleyways - would be 35mm. Which 35mm, well, what is there that's better than the 35 Summilux ASPH FLE?

The fact is I also need a much wider lens for architectural based tripod work, and again, what is there that's better than the 21 SEM?

Add a short tele and I'm done.

Above all, be sure to choose the focal lengths you need rather than those recommend by others.

• Like 4

With all of your photographic experience, with many marques of camera, you surely must know which focal lengths will meet your travel requirements. It is very subjective.

I like going with one or two or three lenses, depending on subject expectations. But like many I have a wider choice of options so that the combinations can be tailor-made to suit the occasion and my changeable inclinations. I guess I am not alone in approaching travel photography in this way.

Depends on where you are going. (Well, actually it depends on many factors as we all know ... but it is fun to talk about and we are often confronted with this decision.)

For landscape destinations. Recently I took photos in the snow-covered alps with a 35 Summilux (for indoor and night shots; Christmas stalls etc.) and a 75 for landscapes. Worked very well although I would have preferred 28 rather than 35 for the panoramic landscapes. The best photo from the trip was taken with the 35.

For city visits I usually take Stephen's suggested combo 28 Elmarit (tiny lens for walking around; nice and sharp for architecture) and 50 Summilux (people; selected visual details)

• Like 2

Guest Marc G.

I'd probably go for something unusual. 21+75 would do for my purpose if I'd start from scratch. With my current lineup 21/28/50/90 I'd either go 28/50 or 21/90, depending on the destination

i myself can never part with the 21 SEM! Small and a superb performer. If you are a fan of wide angle perspective and its effect, look no further!

then for a second lens, i usually go with 35 or a 50 depending on the country i'm going to. For a cramped, highly populated city like Tokyo, i bring a 35mm etc.

those are my go-to lens while travelling light.