Two lens kit travel combo

colonel

Love the combo of 28mm summaron and 50mm elmar on my trip to Italy with m11. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

Edited by rcusick
  • Like 7

I enjoy using my M10M with a 35/1.4 FTE and 75/1.4 for special occasions when wanting to stress character

or using Q2 and Q2M together (want an extra body for special trips) for city trips

or 10MR with 28/1.4 and APO50/2 for landscape (maybe 24/1.4 instead of 28 if want more width and can sacrifice a tiny bit of IQ)

Edited by rpittal

• 3 weeks later...

My set up now has things that didn’t exist when this thread started.

My two lenses are a 35mm Summicron APO and a 90mm Macro Elmar on an M11.

The camera and mounted lens hangs from a Harry Benz “Cravat” wrist strap which is attached to an over the shoulder Harry Benz J-Loop. Sometimes I slip the M11 and lens inside a Oberwerth Jan Leather Camera Pouch which can be stealthy on a belt while attached to the Harry Benz over the shoulder strap. Otherwise it protects the camera and mounted lens in a suitcase or backpack when traveling. The second lens fits inside a RunningBuddy H2O pouch that can slip in a pocket or mount on the edge of trousers without a belt if necessary. The pouch came with a tiny water bottle for runners, but the size is perfect for these compact lenses. I forget who on the forum told us about RunningBuddy pouches, but I thank them.  I use a back-to-back rear lens cap which makes switching lenses safer. I do not use lens caps and put the second lens in the pouch facing down. I no longer need to carry an extra battery as the M11 lasts all day.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently traveled for a month in my car. I wanted to use a lens I didn't use that much (not as I wanted). And , of course, to keep my travel kit small and light.
So, I finally decided to bring my M10, three batteries, a 35/2 LLL, and a 28/5.6 TTA

I'm honestly happy with the body of work I produced; it's pleasant for my eyes and tastes. 28+35 it's not a usual combo. I do have a 50 cron and a 90 Elmarit-M. The combo could have been different, maybe more intelligent, I know. 28 +50, ideally. Or 35+50. Or 35+90, 28-90, or ...
I decided to keep it minimalist and use only almost exclusively the 35mm. Only when a wider lens for needed for a particular mood, landscape, or context-rich scene I switch to a 28mm. This was the original idea. I finally used 99% 35mm (permanently attached to my M10) and the 28mm only twice: But not for a few pictures. On both occasions, for a few hours. For a couple hours each. TBH, I was happy I carried for a month a lens to use only when it was the perfect occasion. It's worth it. I'm sure if it was a (400gr), 90mm was not the same 🙂

I always had the M10 on me, no bags. The extra lens was in a sports backpack with a charger and spare batteries; I wasn't carrying it most of the time.
My point is that every adventure is different, and each one deserves a proper combo. It's a very personal choice, made by many decisive factors.
But I also realized that the limitation of minimalist gear (one lens or two at most) with one camera and enough batteries could be true liberation.

Edited by Dennis
  • Like 5

38 minutes ago, rcusick said:

Heading to Paris now.  M11 and 28mm cron v2.   Thought of bringing a 50 cron but seeing if can make the 28 cron my one and done lens.  Previously that was the 35mm cron apsh.  

I can't personally see the point of not taking the 50 cron?. Why do you need to only shoot 28mm unless you have a Q?

I carry it in my pocket if needed and for me 28 + 50 is the perfect combo with many variations ( 28 Summaron/ 28 Summicron v2/28 Summilux ASPH + 50 Cron v5 (Japan LTM) / Summilux ASPH/ Noct depending on how much I want to carry and whether I want to take 2 bodies...

I get the "desire" for a single lens but that seems IMHO to maybe becoming a bit fetishised as a kind of "purity" and while I  personally hating changing lenses while out and about, and also subscribing to the view that with a single lens one can start to "see" in that focal length, if I'm travelling I don't want that restriction*.

The M11 is an interchangeable lens camera IMHO for reasons other than to decide which is the focal length to stick to...

*No disrespect to your decision to go "all-in" on the 28 Cron v2 - I have it and it's a great companion to my 50 Lux ASPH (s) / Crons  - but I don't see the need to limit myself to it when I can have other focal lenses in my bag/pocket...

Edited by NigelG
  • Like 3

On my last three trips, I carried four lenses—28, 35, 50, and 75 mm. On one of those, I only used the 35 mm. On the other two, 50 mm only.

So I could get away with carrying just one lens. If only I knew beforehand which one this is going to be ...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NigelG said:

I can't personally see the point of not taking the 50 cron?. Why do you need to only shoot 28mm unless you have a Q?

I carry it in my pocket if needed and for me 28 + 50 is the perfect combo with many variations ( 28 Summaron/ 28 Summicron v2/28 Summilux ASPH + 50 Cron v5 (Japan LTM) / Summilux ASPH/ Noct depending on how much I want to carry and whether I want to take 2 bodies...

I get the "desire" for a single lens but that seems IMHO to maybe becoming a bit fetishised as a kind of "purity" and while I  personally hating changing lenses while out and about, and also subscribing to the view that with a single lens one can start to "see" in that focal length, if I'm travelling I don't want that restriction*.

The M11 is an interchangeable lens camera IMHO for reasons other than to decide which is the focal length to stick to...

*No disrespect to your decision to go "all-in" on the 28 Cron v2 - I have it and it's a great companion to my 50 Lux ASPH (s) / Crons  - but I don't see the need to limit myself to it when I can have other focal lenses in my bag/pocket...

Traveling for business.  Barely room to stick my m in my work backpack....

• 4 weeks later...

I used to live in Paris (many decades !) and I'm certain that I used all of my lenses there (12mm to 560mm M and R ).

maybe 50mm or another, not important for me?

21mm, here

35mm in the Metro

• Like 3

Last time I was in Paris was July 2017. 
My two lens [camera] travel kit combo was my M4 BP, 50 Summilux & X100s.

Next trip will have a choice of 2 - two lens travel kit combo/s;

M2 + 35 Summicron v3 & 50 Summicron DR &/or X-Pro2 + 18 & 35 Fujicrons.

I’m just wrapping up a month long trip to the high desert. Lots of climbing and hiking. I brought my usual travel kit of 35 & 75 Summicrons. On a hunch I tossed a 28 Elmarit ASPH in my bag. I ended up using the 28 about 90% of the time. A few times I wished I took my 50 Summicron and once or twice I wish I had my 135 but the 28/75 won the day.

• Like 2