Two lens kit travel combo

colonel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, andybarton said:

How much does the Leica set up weigh?

If my quick search is accurate, Canon kit seems about 1.6kg, while Leica kit seems about 1.2 kg, or a bit under a 1lb difference.  The camera weight, with battery, is identical; the difference is in the lenses.

Jeff

19 hours ago, andybarton said:

How much does the Leica set up weigh?

I was curious how light/heavy the Leica M kit would be, so I took a digital scale ... :

my "kit" ( not in real life carrying, theorical without some actual accessories like straps, pouches, spare batteries or hoods, etc.) M10 (648g) , 2.8/28mm asph. (178g), T-E old 2.8/90mm thin (210g),

would weight precisely 1,036g , nice to know 🙃

On 5/18/2020 at 9:12 PM, Dennis said:

I found this post, and I enjoyed reading it a lot. It was such great information. But most of all, it was fun to read all the different feedback, kits, incongruences, workflows, GAS, and the paradoxes of choices 😂 , so I also want to tell you my honest opinion.

A brief background first to let you understand my main point. As a storyteller, for my job, I use Nikon D5, and my lens kit is 35mm f/1.8 and 58mm f/1.4... As a statistic, during an event/assignment, I use the 35 for about 65-75% of the day and 58 for 25-35%. I bring a 28mm, just in case, but I use it only when it is necessary. If I have to choose ONE lens only for my work, without a doubt, it would be 35. Why? It meets all requirements, It tells the story: context. But when I'm traveling, my priorities are memories, more than the story itself. 

Let's be honest. Once we are in a particular situation, we almost always need or desire another glass. What if I had the 21, what if I had a 90, etc. Sometimes we carry lenses, and we don't use it at all, or just for a few pictures, and it doesn't worth the weight and space for the entire trip for only a few photos, IMHO.

• ONE lens, for travel, it would be the 50 Cron V ... I can take a picture of everything, without "sacrifice a lot" nothing. I can take portraits, details, sections of landscapes, street. Because there will always be a time we need another lens, so no more suffering, just be happy with what we have. If I'm in Paris for example and I have a 50 only, and the tower doesn't fit in my frame, I'm fine. Yes, It would be great to have a 24, but I don't have it, so? I take what I can for my MEMORY. If I can step back and frame it, better. If not, I would take it from far away. And if I don't have any picture of the "entire" Eiffel tower, who cares? I still have other photos that can surely make me feel good. Does it make sense? It's about to travel light, be present and enjoy all the process.
  • TWO lenses? It would be 24 + 50 combo. With the 50 mounted on the camera all day long. When I need to take the Eiffel tower, a selfie with my wife, full landscape, or how messy the hotel room was, I put the 24.  

But despite the 35 is my most used lens for my daily life, street, and work, I would not bring it on my trip. Does it make sense? 

One more time, fascinating post.

I think that a 35mm is a must-have lens for city street photography. I own the recent editions of the Summicron 35mm and Summilux 35mm. Since I rarely shot wide open, the Summicron 35mm is the travel lens of choice. I also throw my APO Summicron 50mm into my bag for a longer reach.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

• Like 2

On 10/20/2018 at 6:49 PM, lexontario said:

I think you should buy this lens

LEICA TRI-ELMAR-M 28-35-50 (6bit)

That's cheating! :)

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

I am presently on a 3 week 4000 mile motorcycle trip around the Eastern US.  I have been using a newly acquired Leica 3f with collapsable 50 Summicron as one half of my photo kit.  The 3f is FUN and the collapsable Summicron seems to give great results (see other thread on this forum asking for info on this lens).  I have teamed it with a FujiX100f which gives me digital, small size, my favorite 35 FOV, and better technology then a Leica M.  

My M2 and latest version 50 Summicron are in for a CLA.  I know the X100f is not a Leica but I suspect most people here presently own one or have owned one in the past.  These two bodies don't take up any more space or weight then a Leica M body with a couple lenses.  Am having a blast especially with the 3f.

Edited by ktmrider2
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I have been thinking about how these kit choices would change with a higher resolution M, either the M10 Monochrome or the M10R?  I currently own the 35 lux and the 50 apo and I am thinking the 24 and 50 may be a good pair with the higher resolution.  I am not sure I would want the added weight of the 24 lux when traveling  but I really like one fast (1.4f) lens for low light.  So maybe the 21 SEM and 50 Lux?

9 hours ago, eab said:

I have been thinking about how these kit choices would change with a higher resolution M, either the M10 Monochrome or the M10R?  I currently own the 35 lux and the 50 apo and I am thinking the 24 and 50 may be a good pair with the higher resolution.  I am not sure I would want the added weight of the 24 lux when traveling  but I really like one fast (1.4f) lens for low light.  So maybe the 21 SEM and 50 Lux?

No changes here. Sean Reid in particular is out there demonstrating that new, used, modern, vintage, expensive, and cheap lenses all seem to play fine on the R/M.

I was thinking more about the ability to crop more closely, allowing for a larger gap between focal length pairings.  Although, I am not sure I like the look a crop compared to what can be accomplished with the appropriate focal length.  I am pretty new to photography and have difficulties always knowing what lens to use for what but generally find myself not close enough to the main subject and rely on cropping to end up with something I like. Don’t want to hi-jack thread but it was something I was thinking about as I read the thread.

• Like 1

I don't know if anybody suggested this but for 3000$/euros you can have the ideal two lens kit (used):

Konica Hexanon-M Dual 21-35mm f/3.4-4 (around 2200$/eur used)
Summarit 75/2.5 or 2.4 (around 800$/euros used).

The only trade-off is the speed.
Both lenses are actually really good. Thank me later.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For a casual walkaround kit, I like the Elmarit 28 and Summicron 50.

On my Japan trip ten years ago, I had four lenses including 21, 35. 50 and 75, and hardly used the 75. 75 is a great focal length, but not something I use for travel, so I whittled it down to 21, 35 and 50.

But on my most recent overseas trip a few years ago, I found myself using the Zeiss Biogon 21/2.8 and Zeiss C Sonnar 50/1.5 most of the time. In theory, I could get away with that combination for most travel, but I'd want a fast 35 as well.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2018 at 8:40 PM, astrostl said:

21/3.4 and 50/1.4 here. IDK how I've managed to dodge the expense, but I don't ever see myself buying a FL longer than 50mm for an M rangefinder.

Update: I do now have a Kipon 75/2.4 for portraits :P NO 90 OR 135 THOUGH I PROMISE

Oh and I'm also team 21 (SEM) + 35 (ZM 35/1.4 or VM 35/1.7) now.

Edited by astrostl
21/35

Have way too much gear so choices for travel keep changing.  I am presently in the Dominican Republic for a few weeks (Covid test at arrival) and have my M2 with the current version of the 50 Summicron along.  I still prefer film but digital technology keeps pulling me toward digital which is represented by the Fuji X100F which has the 35 FOV and better technology then any M Leica.

I posted over on Rangefinder Forum about how we pick gear for travel.  In my case, the M2/50 Cron had just returned from YeYe Camera two days before I left the US and it was begging me for a foreign trip.  Have not used my MP240 in almost a year so maybe time to sell and just admit I am so old fashioned I love film cameras.  But honestly I should have thrown the 35 and 90 into the bag but being lazy the 50 will have to do.