Two lens kit travel combo

colonel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/24/2019 at 6:34 PM, jcatral14 said:

Thanks for your comment but my point is not to travel light but to simplify my kit. Also if you noticed, one is color and the other is monochrome👍 🙂

Simplicity, and, color + monochrome; very sensible. :)

Edited by RexGig0

On 4/18/2019 at 12:06 PM, jplomley said:

Does anyone carry two M10’s with there favourite lenses mounted? Seems to me one M10 with two lenses is not ideal when a shot comes up and you miss the opportunity whilst changing lenses

In November, I was on vacation in New Zealand, Fiji and Australia for a month. I carried two M10s, a Summilux 50, Summicron 35 and 75 and Super Elmar 18 along with a GoPro. It all fit into my Billingham Hadley One bag.

Although I used all of the lenses, the Summicron 35 and 75 got the most used and spent most of my trip mounted on my two M10s. 70% of my images were shot with the 35. Next time, I will leave the Summilux 50 at home.

Since that trip, I did a week cruise with my family. I took only my Fuji XT3 with 23 mounted, Fuji 50 and a Sony RX100V (back up). 90% of the images were captured with the 23mm lens (35mm FF equivalent). The weight savings was obvious of the two M10 kit. The attached photo was shot with the XT3 and 23 lens.

For my next trip, I plan on taking one M10 with a Summicron 35 and APO Summicron 50 with the Sony RX100V (back up).

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by budjames
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

😉

40mm that is cool

I'd like to dedicate to this focal length which is the nearest to 24x36 diagonal

that would be nice to take the "real normal lens" (which would be 43mm 😔),

tried that with my CLE long time ago, loved it, sold it because not practical with Leica M, and

now for some months I bought another M-Rokkor 40mm, learning to love ... or hate again 🎲.

I like it's "normal perspective", but framing with M is not so "natural" with this odd (for me) focal length.

My project is to be pair 40mm with one Summaron 28mm 😎

Edited by a.noctilux

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just completed a week-long road trip from SE Texas to Allendale, NJ, and Old Forge, NY. I mostly used my Zeiss Distagon 1,4/35 ZM, on an M10, with a Zeiss Biogon-C 4.5/21mm on a Monochrom 246 being used for far fewer images. Largely because a potential side-trip to Manhattan did not materialize, my 50mm Summilux-M and Elmar-M lenses, and stayed inside the bag, and my Thambar-M remained inside a different hiding place. 

Yes, my Allendale, NJ was to visit Leica North America’s service center. Service representative Gloria Ruiz was very helpful. (My first M10 had experienced a Humpty-Dumpty moment; therefore the visit to Allendale, NJ.)

I had hoped to spend more time along scenic routes, on the return trip, which would have resulted in more use of the 21mm lens, but concern about my elderly father’s health prompted me to mostly use Interstate Highways, to expedite arrival in Texas.

I still consider 50mm to be “my” focal length, for rangefinder shooting, overall, but a 35mm lens is seeming to dominate while traveling.

• Like 2

I think I posted on this thread awhile back but am leaving in a few days and a Leica film camera is going along (as well as a Fuji X100F).    My two lens travel kit consists of the smallest and lightest lenses I have found in the 35 and 90 focal lengths.  For 35 it is the 35f2.8 C-Biogon and for 90 it is the 90f2.8 Tele Elmarit M.  For walking around, I put one lens on the camera, one in a pocket along with a couple rolls of film and I am all set.  If I use the MP240, I don't have to worry about film.

Now I would love to try a 35/75 combo but neither of my film bodies has the 75 frame line (M2 and M4) and I don't want to screw up their viewfinders by adding the 75.  

If I only carry one lens it is either the 35 or 50.  Obviously, the Fuji X100F comes with the 35 as standard and it rivals the Leicas as my favorite camera.  And the X100F actually has an in camera crop for 50mm or an aux lens.  It also has a crop for 75 mm but image quality starts to drop.

Edited by ktmrider2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2019 at 9:07 AM, jaeger said:

To make it more accurate, it should be the integral{(x(x-1)/2)+y}MC^2 where M = $ spent and C = change in your pocket.  This formula is not perfect, can anyone please help?

Wow! A binomial equation to "calculate" which two lenses to bring. Instead, I will just take my Summilux 35 FLE and APO Summicron 50 with me on my next trip which is to Scotland and Ireland.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

• 9 months later...

I found this post, and I enjoyed reading it a lot. It was such great information. But most of all, it was fun to read all the different feedback, kits, incongruences, workflows, GAS, and the paradoxes of choices 😂 , so I also want to tell you my honest opinion.

A brief background first to let you understand my main point. As a storyteller, for my job, I use Nikon D5, and my lens kit is 35mm f/1.8 and 58mm f/1.4... As a statistic, during an event/assignment, I use the 35 for about 65-75% of the day and 58 for 25-35%. I bring a 28mm, just in case, but I use it only when it is necessary. If I have to choose ONE lens only for my work, without a doubt, it would be 35. Why? It meets all requirements, It tells the story: context. But when I'm traveling, my priorities are memories, more than the story itself. 

Let's be honest. Once we are in a particular situation, we almost always need or desire another glass. What if I had the 21, what if I had a 90, etc. Sometimes we carry lenses, and we don't use it at all, or just for a few pictures, and it doesn't worth the weight and space for the entire trip for only a few photos, IMHO.

• ONE lens, for travel, it would be the 50 Cron V ... I can take a picture of everything, without "sacrifice a lot" nothing. I can take portraits, details, sections of landscapes, street. Because there will always be a time we need another lens, so no more suffering, just be happy with what we have. If I'm in Paris for example and I have a 50 only, and the tower doesn't fit in my frame, I'm fine. Yes, It would be great to have a 24, but I don't have it, so? I take what I can for my MEMORY. If I can step back and frame it, better. If not, I would take it from far away. And if I don't have any picture of the "entire" Eiffel tower, who cares? I still have other photos that can surely make me feel good. Does it make sense? It's about to travel light, be present and enjoy all the process.
  • TWO lenses? It would be 24 + 50 combo. With the 50 mounted on the camera all day long. When I need to take the Eiffel tower, a selfie with my wife, full landscape, or how messy the hotel room was, I put the 24.  

But despite the 35 is my most used lens for my daily life, street, and work, I would not bring it on my trip. Does it make sense? 

One more time, fascinating post.

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Dennis said:

And if I don't have any picture of the "entire" Eiffel tower, who cares?

Exactly!. I think I was in that very situation so I found the tower's reflection in a puddle which gave me a different take (no doubt been done thousands of times before but you get my drift). Just make the lens work for you. If you can't, don't sweat it. 

CNV90001 by Pete, on Flickr

Pete

• Like 3

I don't seem to have commented. If only one lens, 35 summicron. If two lenses, 28 elmarit asph and 50 summicron.

The size of Leica lenses is what brought me to Leica

Pete

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Dennis said:

• TWO lenses? It would be 24 + 50 combo. With the 50 mounted on the camera all day long. When I need to take the Eiffel tower, a selfie with my wife, full landscape, or how messy the hotel room was, I put the 24.  

In this case, the 50 stays on my M, and I pick my iphone 😊

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Del-Uks said:

If you don't mind the weight : Leica M & 50mm + Leica Q

Totally agree but with just one slight amendment.  This thread goes back a long way (19 pages and counting) and equipment has changed in the meantime.  When I’m next allowed out to travel I will take the M10 Mono with 50mm APO and the Q2.  Perfect combo for B&W and colour.

This will comfortably fit in my old Fogg Bumblebee bag and still leave room for iPad, iPhone and some filters.  The Bumblebee is over 30 years old, a bit shabby and doesn’t look the type of bag that would contain expensive cameras.

• Like 1