Two lens kit travel combo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@coupdefoudre, I'm currently helping a friend cut back their lens arsenal to something that doesn't induce paralysis every photo outing. In the end, we decided the best way was to have two sets of lenses; the useful everyday lenses and the extravagant sometimes lenses. In your case, the useful everyday lenses are found by data mining LR or something similar. You seem to settle on the 21/50/90 set with the 28 lux.The extravagant kit however is for the lenses you like that you want to keep but don't make the "often used" cut, such as the 75 lux.

A word of warning lest it gets out of control, the number of lenses in the extravagant kit should be less than the everyday kit - one can find a was to justify keeping every lens otherwise, and the paralysis is not solved!

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recently travelled abroad and took 3 lenses with me. Never took the 35 FLE off the camera. This isn't a 35 FLE plug...a plug for traveling with one lens. As a photography teacher I respect said: "If you travel with one lens, the right lens is always on the camera. If you travel with more than one lens, the wrong lens is always on the camera."

If I was going on a trip and could only take two lenses I think today I would grab the 28 Elmarit ASPH and the 50 Summilux ASPH, but I would struggle not to take the 35 FLE instead of the 28 as it's my favorite lens and different enough from the 50 to nicely compliment it. However I've grown to love the little 28 Elmarit ASPH these past few months, and for travel it's just such a perfect balance of size and performance in an economical package. Also the 28mm focal length is just so practical f

I found this post, and I enjoyed reading it a lot. It was such great information. But most of all, it was fun to read all the different feedback, kits, incongruences, workflows, GAS, and the paradoxes of choices 😂 , so I also want to tell you my honest opinion. A brief background first to let you understand my main point. As a storyteller, for my job, I use Nikon D5, and my lens kit is 35mm f/1.8 and 58mm f/1.4... As a statistic, during an event/assignment, I use the 35 for about 65-75% of

Posted Images

Like everyone else on this Forum I do complain about the size of DSLRs and their zooms (which I do not use) but I envy their users not having to switch out lenses as frequently. My Leicas suck in sensor dirt like steel shavings to a magnet. I now try and remember to run my finger around the body mount when I change lenses as I suspect a fair amount of dirt comes from the intersection of lens and body. The natural oil from my finger that is left on the mount also seems to trap dust and I have (it seems to me) reduced my sensor contamination. Just not eliminated it.

Being someone who uses both mirrorless system zooms and Leica M's, the last trip where the zooms were used almost exclusively was at White Sands National Monument, just because of the inherent dust issue...

BUT, the zoom I used almost exclusively was kept set to the widest setting (24mm equivalent) for well over 80-85% of the time, which tells me I COULD have done most of what I did with just the 24mm f3.8 Elmar.

I need to utilize that lens more than I currently do.

I've just gotten to the point that I accept there's going to be, at some point, a dust spot or two (or more) on my Leica files that I have to deal with, whether the dust detection screen test says there's anything there or not.

I posted back in August about hiking the C2C trail (192 miles) in Northern England.  I planned on carrying a film M with 35/90 and perhaps a FujiX70 for digital.  And I was thinking about leaving the Fuji at home.  Now the X70 has a 28 mm equivalent lens on an APSC size sensor in a very, very small camera package.  Well, reality changed my plans rather dramatically as hiking 15 miles or more per day with elevation gains/loses of a couple thousand feet in wind and rain removed most of my energy for photography.

So, I actually left the film camera and lenses in my luggage and carried an X70 set to full auto and jpeg.  It worked great and the 28mm equivalent lens was just fine.  And the funny thing is, 28mm is one of the few focal lengths I don't own in an M lens.  However, I still like to travel with a 35/90 combo when circumstances allow.  And I don't have any plans on adding a 28 as I think it is a bit to close to 35 but I could think about a new 24 or 25.

Edited by ktmrider2

I guess it is a matter of shooting style and personal taste.

For me, 35 & 28 are too close and 35 & 50 are too close.

I prefer three-lens kits instead of two-lens kits.

For three-lens kits, I prefer...

28/50/135 on my Pentax M42 SLRs.

24/35/85 on my Nikon F SLRs.

21/35/90 on my Leica M rangefinders.

21/45/90 on my Contax G rangefinders.

With Leica M, I forgot that a big-nice-lens (like Noctilux 50 or Summilux 75 for me) or Tri-Elmar-M ( 28-35-50 "MATE" for me) can ruin a photo trip.

For framing, a too big portion not "seen" can be handicaps for fast action (with slower action I can shift to see that hiden portion).

Well, just to repeat that one, two or more M lenses must be choosing from many parameters and one set can't rule them all.

Does't Tri-Elmar-M "MATE" can already replace THREE

For a second trip, I would carry a small Summarit-M 50mm completed with small and light Elmarit-M 28mm Asph.

And I've found lately a big light gathering 50mm that does't block 50 VF : Canon LTM 1.2/50.

Maybe this 1.2/50 would be my favorite for film use, along with another 28mm why not 3.5/28mm Canon LTM or the nicer and newer Summaron-M 5.6/28mm when speed is not required.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That is great advice.....really it is.

But I do notice from the wonderful photos on your flicker page that you too shoot with many lenses

I am kidding. It is great advice and your photos are wonderful Theodor !

....to me this is a funny thread, I make myself crazy every time I go for a walk.

What a hobby!

Thank you, mostly with 35 and 50.

Try a 35 and 50. That’s two lenses. Problem solved.

That's why the choice is so hard 28 & 50 for a two lens walk but I'll miss the 35. Just one lens ..... a 35  but I'll miss the 50.
Sure I can work with one lens and I usually do ..... But the perfect 2 lens kit its just funny. I go through this every time I go for a walk or travel....but it always works out.

When shooting jobs the choice is easy take 21 to 90 and choose to proper lens for each shot.

But an arbitrary walk with no real photo purpose.....your just guessing what you'll come across,

The last 6 months it’s become very easy for me, having bought both a brand new 21mm f3.4 Super Elmar and 35mm f1.4 Summilux FLE. Those two, adding the 75mm f2 Summicron APO with the M262. Next stop is California to meet my new/first grandson for the first time.

That's why the choice is so hard 28 & 50 for a two lens walk but I'll miss the 35. Just one lens ..... a 35  but I'll miss the 50.

Sure I can work with one lens and I usually do ..... But the perfect 2 lens kit its just funny. I go through this every time I go for a walk or travel....but it always works out.

When shooting jobs the choice is easy take 21 to 90 and choose to proper lens for each shot.

But an arbitrary walk with no real photo purpose.....your just guessing what you'll come across,

MATE.

2 lenses for travel:

If I ever did that, it would be 21SEM and 50/1.4 ASPH for Europe. Maybe. Most likely the WATE, 35/1.4, 50/1.4 and 90/2.8.

I'm going on a trip in 10 days. Not really a Leica trip, as it'll have lots of spray and bad weather. Antarctica. It won't be 2 lenses either, but the two main lenses are 12-100 and 100-400 on m43, with a 7.5 and a fast 25 added. On the other hand, that would definitely not be the setup to take on a trip to Hong Kong or Munich or Delhi, although the 12-100 would form a good basis.

So you take what suits the location and your purpose, and also who you are travelling with and your time.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To me, the best 2-lens kit is highly situation-dependent:

Portraits (in good or less-good light):

- 75 Noct

- 50 APO

Hike-friendly travel (in a landscape-rich environment):

- 21 SEM

- 50 APO

Landscapes only:

- WATE or 21 SEM

- 35 Lux (or cron)

Street (with decent light):

- 50 APO

- 28 Lux

Street (in limiting light):

- 50 Noct

- 28 Lux

Sports (!):

- 135 APO

- 90 Cron (or 50 APO for some more context-heavy shots)

Group gatherings (indoors):

- 50 Noct

- 35 Lux

Daily carry with no anticipation of subject matter:

Option 1:

- 21 SEM

- 50 Noct or 50 APO (if weight is an issue)

Option 2:

- 35 Lux

- 75 Noct or 75 Cron (if weight is an issue)

Those are just my personal recipes but I don't think you can really go wrong with two Leica lenses and a decent body.

Edited by onasj

Agree! I often find myself travelling with the 35 cron v4 on the camera and the 50 elmar-m in my pocket. Very rarely miss anything on travel.

That’s why my basic choice is the MATE.

I get the 35 and 50 with a bonus 28 thrown in.

All in one piece.