Two lens kit travel combo

colonel

So are you willing to just take the 28 on the next trip?

I have just finished editing my photos and looking at the places and subjects I shot. I don't really see the need for anything longer given the kind of stuff I like to shoot. The 21 might come along for interiors but I really liked just using the one lens for two weeks. Certainly won't take the Nocti....

Joe

• Like 1

My two lens kit varies a bit from year to year, but without knowing what I was going to shoot right now it would be a 21mm Super Elmar with the optical viewfinder and a 50mm Summicron APO. Minimal weight and bulk, so it fits easily in a Hadley Small with plenty of room for phone, wallet, reading glasses, sunglasses, and even an iPad if I want.

If it was just a single lens, I would choose the 35mm Summilux FLE.

• Like 6

I have this terrible habit of almost never being able to decide on lenses to keep. I wind up selling things off quite quickly. However, when I come BACK to something, i figure it's time I pay attention. 

I started to finally realize that I actually quite like the rendering of Zeiss T* lenses (After trying many different Leica options). I of course really liked the renderings of many of the Leica lenses I tried, but to me as a user not a collector I was having a hard time justifying to cost-to-performance ratio. Additionally I have grown quite fond of Zeiss over the years from my SLR days to my Hasselblad 500 and more recently a Contax G2. 

Anyways, I came back to the ZM 28mm Biogon and the 50mm Planar, and with the difference from selling my two Leica lenses I also picked up the ZM 35mm Distagon which is quite large but optically impressive. 

So while my focal length choices remain the same, the actual lenses have changed. 

• Like 1

I'm coming to conclusion that 28 & 50 are the ones for me.

Currently have the Q for 28 and then 35 & 50 for M10. But constantly thinking of part-exing the Q & 35mm for the new 28/2 Leica and be done with it.

Even for huge interiors Lr makes it so easy to stich a couple of photos, so it makes wider lenses less mandatory.

So 28 cron & nocti for me.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

In October I went to Manhattan with M-E only. Took 28mm Orion-15 and 40mm Rokkor lenses. It worked great for street, view and family pictures.

In November I went to Montreal with only M4-2. Took nothing but Summarit-M 35 2.5 and it worked for the street. But with f1.4 it might be even better :).

• 2 weeks later...

The second lens I pack after a "normal" is always a 21mm. Just love the focal length.

Hence 2 lens kit is 21/3.4 SEM + 50/1.4 ASPH

3 lens kit (much preferred) is 21/3.4SEM + 35/1.4ASPH + 90/2.8 elmarit-M.

For many years my travel kit was 21, 40, 90. I'm comfortable with the spacing and with the use of each focal length individually. This is key.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m about to switch from M8 to M10 (placed an order at end of June..) and then my two lens travel kit will probably be:

M-Hexanon Dual 21-35/3.4-4.0 and M-Hexanon 50/2.0 (or Summarit 75/2.5)

or

Tri-Elmar 28-35-50/4 and Summarit 75/2.5 (or Elmarit 90/2.8)

Dual and MATE are ideal for travel, not too heavy and you can change focal length in one second if needed. I also try to avoid lens changes, it is so easy to get dust on sensor.

If I were forced to travel with only two lenses, I would not take my Leica. I would take some other camera with two zoom lenses.

When I travel with my Leica, I take:

35mm f/1.4

90mm f/2

21mm f/1.4

These three lenses allow me to capture 90% of the images I need.

If someone forced me to leave one at home, I would leave the 21mm because the 35/90 combo allows me to capture 80% of the images I need.

30918518133_c35c48e1c9_c.jpg

Two-Lens Travel Combo by Narsuitus, on Flickr

• Like 1