Two lens kit travel combo

colonel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Every time I choose a Kit for whatever reason, that's not for a specific paid photo shoot, its an amusing conundrum

I woke up this morning thinking today I'm going to only shoot with the 50mm at only f/2 only and see what I get.

Retired photography is fun.

• Like 4

Every time I choose a Kit for whatever reason, that's not for a specific paid photo shoot, its an amusing conundrum

I woke up this morning thinking today I'm going to only shoot with the 50mm at only f/2 only and see what I get.

Retired photography is fun.

I love an amusing conundrum!

I'm sure you'll have a blast with the 2/50.

Having never been paid for it, photography is always fun!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Am hiking the C2C trail in northern England during the last half of September.  It is 192 miles and gear weight is a consideration.  Then a couple days playing tourist in York.

For the C2C, an M2 with 35/90 or Fuji X70.  For York, exactly the same. 

Am very close to leaving the X70 at home.

Am hiking the C2C trail in northern England during the last half of September.  It is 192 miles and gear weight is a consideration.  Then a couple days playing tourist in York.

For the C2C, an M2 with 35/90 or Fuji X70.  For York, exactly the same. 

Am very close to leaving the X70 at home.

Have just come back from these locations, using only my 35FLE.

Must say in York, that because of the way the city has encroached on York Minster and the adjacent interesting streets, the 35mm struggled to capture the scale of YM.

Make sure you allow time for high-tea at Bettys York Tea Room. (Don't be put off by the queue, it's well worth the wait). I will happily travel the 14,541 kms again just to try other items on the menu....

These days I only carry one lens at a time (one on the camera and no bag). Without having to worry about swapping lenses, It enables me to better train myself to compose right. Yes, you will miss some traditionally exciting pictures, but you can always find exciting pictures from a different viewpoint.

On any given day this one lens kit could be one of 15, 21, 28, 35, 50 and 90.

• Like 5

Agree with those who like to take only one lens. With just a single lens for the day, I tend to forget about the camera and look for pictures. I favour either a 50mm or 35mm lens. But if it were to be a two lens kit, I'd go 50mm and 28mm. You can do a lot with that combination.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

I just returned home from a classic American Wild West Road Trip, my wife and I visited The Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Devils Tower, Little Big Horn Battlefield, Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons National Park. I took my M2 and its typical lens kit, 35mm, 50mm and 90mm.

I never used the 35mm, I found that a small position adjustment with the 50mm got the photograph I was wanting, I didn't need to change to the wider lens. However, I did find myself using the 90mm about 25% of the time.

I have just packed my bag for an upcoming trip to Scotland, my 2 lens travel kit is the 50mm and 90mm, the 35mm will stay home.

Edited by mikemgb
  • Like 2

On a recent 20 day trip in Tuscany 99% of shots were done with 50 Summi v4.  28 & 75 were used just enough to justify their presence - were unnecessary

50 suits my style of shooting which includes the edict, "No postcards!"

I can see taking just a 40C (Rokkor version is a bit better than the Summi) on a trip or the collapsible Elmar 50 (most recent) - keep it simple.  But I sure do love that v4

Happy travels all!

Just returned to US from two weeks in Keswick, Cumbria, UK and Munich, Germany. This was just a fun trip with my wife. I have M8, M246. 21/2.8, 28/2.0, 50/1.0, 75/2.0. Was going to take it all but in the end just took M246 with 28/2.0 and 75/2.0. Never took the 28 off the camera. Too much hassle in airports and too much weight to carry around a complete kit when tourism is the goal.

Joe

• Like 2

Just returned to US from two weeks in Keswick, Cumbria, UK and Munich, Germany. This was just a fun trip with my wife. I have M8, M246. 21/2.8, 28/2.0, 50/1.0, 75/2.0. Was going to take it all but in the end just took M246 with 28/2.0 and 75/2.0. Never took the 28 off the camera. Too much hassle in airports and too much weight to carry around a complete kit when tourism is the goal.

Joe

So are you willing to just take the 28 on the next trip?

On a recent 20 day trip in Tuscany 99% of shots were done with 50 Summi v4.  28 & 75 were used just enough to justify their presence - were unnecessary

50 suits my style of shooting which includes the edict, "No postcards!"

I can see taking just a 40C (Rokkor version is a bit better than the Summi) on a trip or the collapsible Elmar 50 (most recent) - keep it simple.  But I sure do love that v4

Happy travels all!

Of course the Rokkor is better. You forgot to take the cron bit with you. :p