Two lens kit travel combo

colonel

I too, am about to embark upon a similar journey (27 days NYC and London) and have been undecided upon whether to take either my 35FLE or APO50 on the M240.

I mostly travel with only one lens on my M240, though a recent trip to Brasil, I only took the old faithful Digilux 2.

My gut feel for this next trip is the 35FLE, which I carried all over western China and was most pleased with it's versatility.

On my last trip to Seoul I limited myself to just the CCD M Monochrom and 50 Lux.  I've never been to the UK before, but I'm sure either the 35 or 50 would be fine as an only lens.  another tempting option is just the Noctilux, and rely more on my X-E and its 35/2.8 equivalent.

Have a nice trip.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My go to for two lenses has long been 28/50 and when I go with one lens I will almost always grab a 35mm. However, this year I decided to change things up a bit and I've now replaced my 28mm with a 21mm and I've been finding the 21/50mm pair to be very engaging and exciting to use. I'm looking forward to continuing to explore the possibilities with that setup. 

As to which lenses they are it's a 21SA and the 50mm Summicron IV or an Elmar-M. My 35mm is a Summilux Pre-Asph.

• Like 2

This is my asinine question for the weekend, but a real one for me as I build up a lens kit for my M240 (previous Leica kit was sold - silly me, anyhow move on ....)

35mm f1.4 FLE + 75mm f2.5 - will I miss the 50mm ? the best compromise between DOF play and a wide angle of view ?

24mm f2.8 + 50mm f1.4 ASPH - sometimes 35mm can be a partial substitute for both and can be carried around on its own ?

35mm Summicron + 50mm f1.4 ASPH. Two different walkabouts for different days and moods.

With all of these I would get an R adaptor and an R 180mm f3.4 APO for long telephoto work, but would not walk around with this lens - special events only.

thanks in advance

@Colonel,

Of the options you offer to choose from, the 35 'cron and 50 'lux ASPH would be my choice.  You would be hard pressed to go wrong with those two IMHO.

35f/2 50f/2

I like to say 28 50 but I'd miss the 35

Even the perfect 3 lens kit
28f/2.8 50f/2 90f/2.8    I'd miss the 35

If its not a job or an assignment the perfect walkabout lens is a 35

Damn now I gotta buy a 75 :)
  • Like 3

35f/2 50f/2

I like to say 28 50 but I'd miss the 35

Even the perfect 3 lens kit

28f/2.8 50f/2 90f/2.8    I'd miss the 35

If its not a job or an assignment the perfect walkabout lens is a 35

Damn now I gotta buy a 75 :)

Now I gotta buy a 28 f/2.8 ...

Oh well ;)

Its incredible that this thread is still going since 2014 :)

The advice over the years has always been excellent

FYI my walk about film kit is 28mm f2 + 40mm f1.4 and my digital kit is 35mm f1.4 and 75mm f2

I have 21mm f4 for occasional usage

I have no idea whether this is totally the best but it works for me 90% of the time

Edited by colonel
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

In July -

Going to:

London,

Paris,

Rome *1 week in Sirolo, Italy https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Tourism-g608900-Sirolo_Province_of_Ancona_Marche-Vacations.html

3 weeks total.

My 2 lens travel kit combo.

Leica M4 + 50 Summilux - TriX

Fujifilm X100s - colour & b&w

Leave the Fuji at home ... I dare you ;)

Better yet, lose the Fuji alltogether and get an M4-P + 28 Elmarit :)

Because my 50 Summilux developed a mechanical fault and had to visit Wetzlar, I had to make do with the 28 Elmarit and the 90 Summarit on a recent trip.

Quite a useful combo, but If I could only take two of my three lenses, I would choose the 28 and the 50.

• Like 1