how many actuation counts of your M8 until now?

620max

Go buy a used car without an odometer and see how it helps.

Well that would be illegal, here in Oz, but I have little or no interest in how far a car has travelled. I am more interested in how well it has been maintained for however long.

My car (of 27 years) has done 360000Km and is in better condition than many at less than half that travel. A friend of mine has worn out 5 cars in the same time. They did relatively little 'mileage' but were not well maintained.

Back on topic: I still have the first M8 released into the wild in Australia (2006). No idea how many actuations. It is still working beautifully, currently in the hands of my grandson. He thinks it is fabulous, along with my treasured 50mm Cron. :cool:

Edited by erl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well that would be illegal, here in Oz, but I have little or no interest in how far a car has travelled. I am more interested in how well it has been maintained for however long.

My car (of 27 years) has done 360000Km and is in better condition than many at less than half that travel. A friend of mine has worn out 5 cars in the same time. They did relatively little 'mileage' but were not well maintained.

Back on topic: I still have the first M8 released into the wild in Australia (2006). No idea how many actuations. It is still working beautifully, currently in the hands of my grandson. He thinks it is fabulous, along with my treasured 50mm Cron. :cool:

I think you misunderstand my point.

An odometer, like shutter counts, gives you an indication of the condition of the car or camera.

Obviously, there are other things that clue you into what the overall condition may be. However, an M8 with 100,000 shutter activations is likely to incur more service needs than one with 1,000 activations (all other things being equal).

Here is a specific example. I have bought two M8s. One with 33K+ activations, the other with 728 activations. I have no service history on either camera, but if I was to hedge my bets, I would be better off banking on the camera with 728 activations to provide a better and longer service life than the one with 33K activations.

While it is possible that the 33K camera may provide less service needs compared to the low shutter count camera, it is statistically likely that it will not.

When buying a used car I use the odometer as a barometer to determine what service needs the car is likely to have needed and I can try to determine what needs have been met and what needs have not.

All things being equal (visible condition and service records) the car or camera with the lessor use would still probably be the one to buy when comparing between those available on the lot or shelf.

You are right that odometers and shutter counts are not the be-all end of determining how well an object will serve you, but it is one more data point among many to help make that decision.

Loren, I don't disagree with you in reality.

I guess, in my own obtuse way I was trying to make a point that too many place too much emphasis on the shutter count, or the odometer reading. Statistically your low count M8 may be in better shape than the higher count one, obviously. But we have heard the phrase before, "tell me what you want to prove, and I will find the numbers to prove it!" :eek:

(thinking, politicians etc.) :D

• 2 weeks later...

@ben wilhelmi: Thanks for the tip!

I recently bought a used M8 body from KEH, and they do not supply the shutter count. However, the body was graded as 'EX' so I took a chance and bought it.

Picked it up a couple of days ago, and the body looked like new. Tried using this trick now, and I found out that the shutter count was only 2662!

Edited by jonnablaze

• 2 weeks later...
No of course not, it is rated at 150K it can go higher, but if it breaks, you can easily let Leica place a new shutter in your camera.

Also Leica replaces M8 shutters for free most of the time, if they break without reason... so lets say without dropping the camera etc.

Come on now. Why would leica replace it free? And why spread such info on the internet? This is not doing any good to anyone.