X Vario AF Issues Follow Up

barjohn

A quick note: To those that apologized for the personal attacks your apology is accepted.

I don't object to disagreement with my ideas or my observations, in fact, I encourage the teams I manage to challenge any idea or observation I put forth. I only require that they have a well thought out basis and a better solution if it is a problem we are trying to solve. I don't tolerate any personal attacks on any team member's opinion or ideas. I want the best possible ideas and solutions and they must be able to withstand harsh scrutiny.

Now for a short little humorous story. For those of you that don't know, there are few three star admirals in the Navy. Getting time on their busy calendar is difficult. I was pitching a new design for the surface Navy to a three star in charge of the Pacific fleet and my last slide had a little bee pushing the bow of this big aircraft carrier with words to the effect that we might be a small team but we could accomplish big things. It was to be my punch line. Just as I started to say something he said in a complete deadpan "carriers are not part of the surface fleet." Even though I served aboard a carrier I did not know that carriers were under the NAVAIR command and not part of the surface combatants. It kind of takes the wind out of your sail. Luckily, he liked the idea enough to fund it anyway.

• Like 2

John -

My labs weren't even in the same universe as yours. I'd love to see it operating. During my USAF years I had TSC, ESI and SIOP clearances, but of course I have no need to know to visit your labs.

You should see the new virtual 3D worlds we use for training. With a laser tracker we image an entire ship inside and out. It takes a small team about 3 to 4 days. We can then recreate the entire ship in a 3D virtual reality. If we put you in the virtual reality set, it projects the image onto various walls. Ir sensors and cameras then track your movements and you can walk around the space and go up and down ladders, use a virtual wrench or other tools, see where things are located and learn the ship without ever being on it. ( a side note, nothing I am telling you is classified. I hold high level clearances and that is all I can say about that and I can't and won't discuss our classified work)

By the way, when it comes to camera sensors, we have high speed sensors that can capture an image in a billionth of a second. Anyone for sports action? :D

• Like 1

All well said. My apologies again, John.

My comments were not directed towards you.

The US Navy employment comment seemed to me to obviously be tongue-in-cheek and quite a funny comment in a thread that was otherwise deteriorating. Perhaps a ;) smilie might have clarified the tone of your comment. It's always difficult to set the tone in brief electronic communications.

Regards,

Mark :)

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1

This issue is going on since September.

September 2013? Is that all!

There were/are extended complaints and their updates udate by forum members for far longer than that regarding, for example: software upgrades for M240s and M9/M-E/Monochroms (still waiting), availability of R-M adapters, EVF-2 limitations, 3.4/135 APO-Telyt 6-bit coding, Leica service (or lack thereof) , Leica availability, Sony A7® lens compatibility, M240 vs A7® performance.....I could fill this page if I went on.....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have come very late to this thread, my apologies. I am contemplating the purchase of an XV, so I have read this thread with great interest. I also suffer from failing eyesight, hence a need for auto-focus. I think the one issue here that disturbs me is receiving a green in- focus indication along with an in-focus beep, while the subject is not in focus. This has never happened with my 1Ds Mark II or my 5D Mark II. Putting aside the fact that some shots are found to be out of focus, it is not normal to get focus lock tone on an out of focus shot, is it? This is worrying? Or an I incorrect?

A wrong confirmation is indeed disturbing. But there may be a more general issue behind this, because I found a note that this can happen under certain circumstances in the Ricoh GR manual (for details, see Leica X Vario: Functional Issues - Autofocus (Introduction)).

I have learned to reduce the number of AF failures and published a few suggestions that might help: Leica X Vario: Functional Issues - Autofocus (Introduction)

I think that AF issues can be still an issue if you are in a hurry...

Best regards, Gerd

• Like 1

Gerd,

Like you, I find that when shooting still scenes or still life this is less of an issue because I have time to review the image and shoot it again if needed. However at family events or friends parties, things happen quickly and I don't have time to carefully check that an image was in focus. So it is very disappointing to get home and discover the camera failed to focus when it gave you focus lock and instead of having nice images to share with family and friends you have a number of blurry ones. On the test shots, like you, I used still scenes because that was the easiest way to illustrate the problem.

• Like 1

I have not read all this thread, neither am I interested to. Since a post was reported I have looked at today's postings and formed the opinion below. If I have missed vital 'clues' from earlier then I acknowledge that.

Personal attacks are not permitted here, however it is quite proper to question a members bona fides as may be appropriate. It is reasonable to expect a relevant response, unlike our politicians, to such questions. Any tardiness in such answer can be construed as evasive. Further questioning is not thuggish but rather what one should expect anywhere on the internet. It is a forum where question and answer are expected, at various levels.

Differences of opinion and experience are expected and must be accepted. Also expect challenges to your stated views and be free to defend them.

Now I hope everyone has settled down and is enjoying the experience.

• Like 2

By the way, when it comes to camera sensors, we have high speed sensors that can capture an image in a billionth of a second. Anyone for sports action? :D

John that made me think of an article I ran across on femto-photography. Here is a Ted talk on it that is quite interesting.

Ramesh Raskar: Imaging at a trillion frames per second | Video on TED.com

I'm sure there are sensors and lenses beyond our wildest dreams, but some are no doubt not for public consumption or so cost prohibitive it doesn't matter.

John that made me think of an article I ran across on femto-photography. Here is a Ted talk on it that is quite interesting.

Ramesh Raskar: Imaging at a trillion frames per second | Video on TED.com

Fascinating! Thank you for posting this.

J

I'm sure there are sensors and lenses beyond our wildest dreams, but some are no doubt not for public consumption or so cost prohibitive it doesn't matter.

Yes, they are using a Sigma zoom!

Edited by MarkP

I am just back from holiday and have processed 1200 XV photos.

Some are at night and also low light levels in monasteries and churches.

I have found 6 that are out of focus probably due to the camera not locking onto the subject properly (and several of these were rapidly snatched shots) ..... and another half dozen with camera shake as I inadvertently used silly speeds (1/4 sec).

Otherwise this camera has performed faultlessly and all the images produced would at first glance pass as M9 or M240 photos ....... and apart from sharpening they hardly need any processing in LR.

I can find NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER of the problems outlined (to the point of open warfare) in this thread.

I don't think I've ever had a camera with a usable image ratio of 99%

I've no idea what the complainants are doing with their cameras .... or whether they are faulty in some way ..... but mine ... in my hands , works perfectly :)

• Like 12

You should see the new virtual 3D worlds we use for training. With a laser tracker we image an entire ship inside and out. It takes a small team about 3 to 4 days. We can then recreate the entire ship in a 3D virtual reality. If we put you in the virtual reality set, it projects the image onto various walls. Ir sensors and cameras then track your movements and you can walk around the space and go up and down ladders, use a virtual wrench or other tools, see where things are located and learn the ship without ever being on it. ( a side note, nothing I am telling you is classified. I hold high level clearances and that is all I can say about that and I can't and won't discuss our classified work)

And the Navy has no issues with these things being on a photo forum with the ID of someone allegedly working at the core of its IT disclosed?:confused: