35mm lens for M8

620max

my budget is about USD$1000 :o thanks

If you want new lenses, the Zeiss Biogons 35/2 and 35/2.8 are the best options.

On the second hand market, all Summicrons you could find at this price point would be outperformed by the Biogons i'm afraid so the only reasons to prefer the formers would be size or subjective preferences i cannot comment on.

Another excellent option would be a second hand Leica Summarit 35/2.5 if you can find one or a Voigtlander Skopar 35/2.5 if you like its OoF rendition.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I also use the 35mm Summarit on my M8 and quite like the results.

Attached some examples.

Styxx

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

if you're OK with 40mm.....get a 40mm Summicron. You can find a very nice example for $600 or so. 99% of the performance of a 35mm Summicron for the price of one of those terrible half-ass Voigtlander things or those threequarters-ass summarit things.

well, very good idea! 40mm summicron maybe a good choose for me! thanks!

Yes. I had the LTM, moved to the M version, and a few months later, moved back... the LTM version is less bulky and handles far better. Optically they are identical, and superior in my experience to the much-vaunted Summicron v4.

Sent from another Galaxy

• Like 1

The Zeiss lens is not coded for the the M8, but that can be corrected either professionally or on your own. I use a Summicron 35mm on my M8 but, knowing what I know now, I would go for the Zeiss 35/2 lens and get it coded if I were doing it all over again. With the Leica lens, I have had problems with flare when light hot spots are in or near the field of vision. I have done a few comparisons with a Zeiss lens and it seemed to be less affected. I always liked the Zeiss glass in my Hasselblad system.

• Like 1

Colors are IR contaminated on the M8 so you will need uv/it like the B+W 486. 35 mm needs the camera correction in the corners slightly so coded is a plus. By 28 mm for sure needs coding.

Not much difference between the ASPH and Version 4. All 35 mm Summicrons are decent.

People are very happy with 35 2.8 Biogon as it is very sharp. 2.0 Biogon is also good. You should self code.

I personally believe CV lenses are up to snuff.