Leica 75mm framelines

stump4545

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I like the 75mm Summilux on the M7 so much that I have considered ordering one with a .85 finder and having the 50mm mask removed. Is the later possible?

I have seen it done. A friend had all frames except the 35, 50 and 90 removed. Quite expensive and really only worth it with a rangefinder repair/replacement IMHO.

I use 75's regularly and while the 50/75 combination is the poorest of the 3, I really got quite used to it.

• Like 3

Which pairing would you have used (without throwing into the trash bin all the M lenses Leica had already built between 1953 and 1981 - the frameline selection is hard-wired into their mounting flanges)?

35 and 135 were already paired, from the M4 (1967). Well, really, since the M2 - but it just didn't include the 135 lines.

Leaving the choices of 50-75 and 28-90 as pairs, or 28-50 and 75-90 as pairs. The recent 28s (versions 2 and 3, at least) were already keyed to bring up the 90 mm frames, so using 28-50 would have obsoleted all those 28s.

I don't see that a 75-90 pairing would have been any less "confusing" than 50-75. And 28-90 is less confusing than 28-50.

There is actually a weird logic in putting the 50 and 75 lines together. As we know, M framelines have varying accuracy depending on subject distance. With the 50-75 pair, at close (portrait) distances the 75 lines are precise for a 75, and at longer (landscape) distances, the actual FoV of a 75 is about halfway between the 50 and 75 lines, and thus the 50 lines can help "rough in" what the 75 will really capture.

Leica made a mistake.

Your defense of Leica is as confusing as a ....... a 50/75 frame combination ? ............. confusing to me and me alone.

Edited by rafael_macia

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the M3 went into production before Leica had ever made a 75mm lens.

That's right (I don't think the 75 Summilux appeared until 1981) but I think the poster was referring to the modern "MP3", the LHSA limited edition set based on the current MP.

• 5 years later...

That's the benefit of a long established forum like this, I had the same query and easily found this 5 year old thread which has helped immensely.  I was considering the new not yet available Voight 75mm but don't think I'll bother now, with that or any other 75mm.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/4/2019 at 8:24 AM, Ray Vonn said:

That's the benefit of a long established forum like this, I had the same query and easily found this 5 year old thread which has helped immensely.  I was considering the new not yet available Voight 75mm but don't think I'll bother now, with that or any other 75mm.

Since opinions vary, don’t you think it would be far better to experiment and decide based on your own comfort level and shooting practice?  

Jeff

• Like 1

Think I'll take my 75 out for a spin.... the framelines have never bothered me. I've never even thought about them, but now of course, having read this thread,  they'll be on my mind all the time and I'll never forget about the little b*stards! 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

Since opinions vary, don’t you think it would be far better to experiment and decide based on your own comfort level and shooting practice?  

Jeff

Opinions do vary it’s true, it’s just that for me, wonderful images can be captured wide open at 85mm very easily and at night, using 7 year old gear, as is the case with my used D800E and Nikkor 85mm F1.8G. In my case I don’t *have* to have that 75mm and for me, rangefinders are mostly about the 21/28/35/50 focal lengths.

Just now, Ray Vonn said:

Opinions do vary it’s true, it’s just that for me, wonderful images can be captured wide open at 85mm very easily and at night, using 7 year old gear, as is the case with my used D800E and Nikkor 85mm F1.8G. In my case I don’t *have* to have that 75mm and for me, rangefinders are mostly about the 21/28/35/50 focal lengths.

Exactly, and you didn’t need a forum poll or five year old thread to list those factors or to reach that conclusion.  But I agree, more people could benefit from using the search function for myriad repeated topics.

Jeff

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Exactly, and you didn’t need a forum poll or five year old thread to list those factors or to reach that conclusion

Found it helpful actually seeing the views of fellow Leica users, one of the reasons I joined this forum.

On 8/5/2019 at 3:24 PM, Ray Vonn said:

My go to's are 28/35/75, next up is 21 then 50/90/135 at a push, I have 3 M9s one with 28 but could have 21, one with 35 (EDC) and the third always has the 75 on, I hot swap rather than change lenses all the time. I don't have any issues with either focusing or the framelines of any of the 3 main combos but perhaps that's because I'm a relative NOOB to Leica and had worked out my shooting FsOV using Fuji X-Pro1s..........

• Like 1

I don't like 50/75. They are too close, too cluttered. I don't see any need for 75 lens as well.

50 is already my tele and 90 is great for head and shoulders without arm and leg price tag.

If I would use 75, then 50 frames been close by 75 would somewhat help, I think.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...