How to change folder?

flyalf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, once again looking for some help in LUF; how to change folder in M? I only find the option to create new folder in menu. I want to keep all photos from one lens in same folder (for Cornerfix post). Since its not possible to create user profiles for lenses this is my short-fix.

Anyone got a clue?

Best wishes for the new year!

So, once again looking for some help in LUF; how to change folder in M? I only find the option to create new folder in menu. I want to keep all photos from one lens in same folder (for Cornerfix post). Since its not possible to create user profiles for lenses this is my short-fix.

Anyone got a clue?

Best wishes for the new year!

If you mean having 2 folders on the same SD card and then changing them to store specific photos then I don't think you can do it.

It's easy enough to change folder names on the card .... and I have mine named Leica100, Leica200 ..... etc. for the various bodies I have used. As Andy says its probably in FAQ somewhere.

It's going to be easier to change card ....... or sort the pictures from that lens by filtering in LR/Aperture later....... unless you are talking about non-coded lenses in which case it gets more complicated.

• Like 1

Thanks, but its NOT easier to change card than folder, in particular not when having an SA quick release tripod plate attached,

Also the purpose with Cornerfix is to run it prior to LR, and the lenses most needing Cornerfix is non-Leicas. I simply dont understand the point of being able to create folders from camera on card if you cannot choose folders :confused:. This is a choice in the M9 menu.

Dont seem to be anything about this in FAQ

An issue for future FW upgrade?

An issue for future FW upgrade?

Strange that it was left out.

Not a feature I ever used on the M9, and to be honest I didn't know it existed until you mentioned it ....

The current file setup on the M and the folder renaming works in a rather odd way ......

Possibly the omission has something to do with the already long and moaned about start up time ..... with multiple folders it may have even have been slower.

I would email technical support at Leica and see what they say ..... and specifically request that it be brought back. Leica are slow to act but not completely deaf .....

The alternative is to use the Flat Field plug-in for LR and batch process from within it. Works just as well and does exactly the same ..... plus you can just choose to do it for the tiny (if your photography is like mine) percentage of good images ....

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/lightroomplugins.html

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well let's think about this. If I have 2 or more SD cards each with a different name when I go to my computer for reading any card it most always shows another card name no matter which SD card I am reviewing.

So If one Sd card is L100xxxa and another card is L100xxxb and I format the second card immediately after formatting the L100xxxa, if I remember correctly, the L100xxxb card also shows the name for the L100xxxa card. Thus when the camera stores more than one card in it, why not switch between these names for your purposes? Hard to explain, but I trust you get my drift. Give it a try.

Thanks for answers, sorry about lengthy conversation :o

The alternative is to use the Flat Field plug-in for LR and batch process from within it. Works just as well and does exactly the same ..... plus you can just choose to do it for the tiny (if your photography is like mine) percentage of good images ....

Download Plug-ins for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - Adobe Labs

Thanks, but how to "tag" or sort out what photos are taken with lens X (non-Leica) while NOT using lens profiles? For M9 I simply switch to folder XEICA when attaching X so that all photos taken with X are already sorted and ready for CF batch prosessing (and add EXIF if I want to).

Well let's think about this. If I have 2 or more SD cards each with a different name when I go to my computer for reading any card it most always shows another card name no matter which SD card I am reviewing.

So If one Sd card is L100xxxa and another card is L100xxxb and I format the second card immediately after formatting the L100xxxa, if I remember correctly, the L100xxxb card also shows the name for the L100xxxa card. Thus when the camera stores more than one card in it, why not switch between these names for your purposes? Hard to explain, but I trust you get my drift. Give it a try.

Sorry I didn't understand, I know its a bit tricky to sort out by text ony ;-). Thansk for trying, it might be myself that is a bit slow... Please read first post again. I want to use one card in the M at a time and switch between the folders created from camera on that card without removing card from camera.

Alf, I use many not coded lenses mixed with coded Leica lenses.

I have developed the habit some time ago, that whenever there is happening something memorable like a shot I want to mark quickly or I change a venue or a specific camera phenomenon ("that shutter release sounded weird") or something simple as a lens change on a digital M, I simply shoot a black frame to mark that moment down.

It is extremely easy to sort through the sequence of shots when having those marks.

For me this completely makes up for not having all lenses (wrongly) coded. I refuse to miscode certain classic lenses, which would be a crime in my opinion.

I have every single lens, I use as a tag in Lightroom, starting with focal length, aperture, name and ending with it's respective serial number. Redundant lenses have an additional short description.

This way, tagging a batch of shots in Lightroom with the specific lens I used is an action of typing the focal length and selecting the lens from the suggested keyword list.

Sorry I didn't understand, I know its a bit tricky to sort out by text ony ;-). Thansk for trying, it might be myself that is a bit slow... Please read first post again. I want to use one card in the M at a time and switch between the folders created from camera on that card without removing card from camera.

I didn't understand Al either .......:confused:

Unless Leica change the firmware you cannot do what you want.

I would just carry several small cards with the name of the lens on and take a photo of the one appropriate to the lens you are using when you attach it...... that will mark the beginning end end of a sequence of shots with it ...

No other bright ideas, sorry :o

I follow what you are trying to achieve. I wasn't aware that this was possible with the M9 and there does not seem to be any provision for it in the M (typ 240).

However, the overwhelming logic for me is to use Lightroom's capabilities. You need to get the photos into your computer to do anything with them. Why not simply import then within Lightroom's library module, sort via filter and create whatever folders you want and where ever you want. You can do any rearranging you want before applying any develop settings.

If you manage your folders within Lightroom, it is the same as doing it externally. That is those folders exist in your file structure and of course LR tracks wherever the actual locations are for you.

So you can manipulate with whatever program you want outside of Lightroom and up date from the EXIF when next in LR if desired. If it's a Ps plugin then you can edit in Ps without leaving LR too if desired.

Edited by hoppyman

As the M does not let you change the folder, you could try and change the file name prefix (use "a" through "z" instead of "l") or the copyright information. You should be able to add the lens information in PP, I think, once you have "tagged" the pictures accordingly.

An interesting extra that I've found is that it is completely simple now to also change the file NUMBER (out of camera) if you want to continue a sequence. There's none of the old multi-step fiddle to do that.

I formatted a card in camera, set the folder number I wanted and shot one frame. Then in my computer just altered the file name to continue the sequence from my camera which had been reset. Back in the camera and it continues from that number perfectly.

Worth noting from the instructions that putting a card with previous files on it of a higher number will result in continuation of that sequence.