Black paint 50mm summilux pre asph

AndyMc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all

Ive recently bought a sample of this lens and since im looking for a few accessories ive noticed that theres a version of this lens in black which ive seen for $9k+

Could someone tell me what the difference is between the pre asph summilux options

I see chrome

I have a black version? But I didnt pay 9k

Thanks

Andy

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Hi all

Ive recently bought a sample of this lens and since im looking for a few accessories ive noticed that theres a version of this lens in black which ive seen for $9k+

Could someone tell me what the difference is between the pre asph summilux options

Is yours black paint ? What is the filter size ? 43 or 46 ?

The standard finish of the version I Lux 50 (1959-1961) and the early version II Lux 50 (1961-1991) was chrome. Only few of these where delivered in black finish, black being a mix of black anodized and black painted parts (there might be some very early lenses that are completely black paint, but I am not sure). These early black lenses are rare and therefore much more expensive.

At some point in the 1960s, Leica changed the standard finish of the version II Lux to black anodized (all parts anodized, no paint) and the chrome version was no longer available. The all anodized lenses are also marked by a change from the earlier scalloped style focus ring (like on the chrome lenses) to the new fluted style focus ring. The finish and design stayed more or less unchanged until 1991 and is therefore most common on the used market.

Summilux 50 in black does exist in an impressive number of variants ,also for "special editions" ("1913-1983" - "LHSA" etc...) , and some of them are really rare and costly.

Here a very small choice :

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Mine has a 43mm filter size. Sn 3251707

I didn't think id been lucky and purchased a rare version. I was surprised at the price difference however.

I'm still searching for a lens cap and a hood with cap :-(

Thanks for the info guys very interesting

A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Must be a 11114 like this. Lens cap # 14007...

... Hood # 12586. Hood cap # 14037 or 14163.

• Like 1

... Hood # 12586. Hood cap # 14037 or 14163.

Indeed.

The lens is very is in Mint condition with a UV filter attached.

Appreciate the serial numbers, now finding decent examples for fair money is a difficult one.

Wondering whether i should use a step up ring to e46 although this wouldnt help me on the hood etc.

Here's a recent picture using this lens, minimal PP.

andy

On your Summilux you can mount also the old combination Hood+Cap XOOIM+OROBA aka 12521+14037... :) I have always appreciated the capability of reverse mounting (still holding the cap) : only problem is with filters on... ok for the hood, not for the cap.... :o

• Like 1

Ok ive bought a 12586 near mint cindition. I have been offered a 14163 at 50 pounds normally sells for 89 apparently. .. Ouch!

I have an option on the 14163 k

What difference does the K make?

Thanks again im sure these questions are very basic but buyjng the wrong psrt would be very frustrating

A

Ok ive bought a 12586 near mint cindition. I have been offered a 14163 at 50 pounds normally sells for 89 apparently. .. Ouch!

I have an option on the 14163 k

What difference does the K make?

Thanks again im sure these questions are very basic but buyjng the wrong psrt would be very frustrating

A

"K" means nothing... for some time, Leitz used a letter at the end of the numerical 5 digits codes , which were anyway unique... there are not same digits with different letter.... later on they abandoned this system, keeping the 5 digits only (I have an idea on the reason for the letters... ;))

Ok thanks.. thats very useful.

Im a little concerned that the reverse hood cap wont fit with filters attached

Im getting conflicting info on the right cap. I think the best solution would be a lens cap? And remove the hood when not In use.

Wdyt

Andy

I'm afraid this 14163K is too expensive and is not for you as it is a lens cap for R lenses (35/2.8 and 50/2 IIRC) most probably. What you need is a 14163 or a 14037.

@ Luigi: Never seen a 14163K for M lenses so far. Would you have one in your great collection?

...Im a little concerned that the reverse hood cap wont fit with filters attached...

Don't worry it will fit perfectly. You have a black 11114 lens, a black 12586 hood and a silver 13417 UV/IR filter if i recall correctly (no black 43mm at Leica) so you just need a hood cap # 14037 or 14163 to put onto the hood in reverse position.

Edited by lct

I'm afraid this 14163K is too expensive and is not for you as it is a lens cap for R lenses (35/2.8 and 50/2 IIRC) most probably. What you need is a 14163 or a 14037.

@ Luigi: Never seen a 14163K for M lenses so far. Would you have one in your great collection?

I think 14163 (with or without "K" depending on year) has been a "Leicaflex only" code ... maybe, the fact that it can fit onto hood 12586 is a pure chance....

So was there ever a cap made to attach to the front of the hood whilst attached?

Or can you attach a lens cap ?

I prefer to cover the lens if possible without having to remove / reverse the hood?

Thanks for the links... I wasn't aware you could buy new spares DOH!

A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk