Leica M240 - GPS on Multifuntion Hand Grip

faranstudio

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Go to the shop, try your GPS on another camera, try another GPS on your camera. Send the faulty item (GPS or camera) to be repaired. The fault I had was in the camera, a cable unplugged (same symptoms as yours).

Thanks a lots. Finally, I found out something wrong with the multifunction unit. Luckily its not my camera.

• Like 1

My objective is to have location searchable in the exif data. Of course you don't need to know the coordinates of the Eiffel Tower but it is nice to pull all of your photographs taken in one small area into an album. Also illustrating a walk is easier if the data is available. Also, Jon Pop, data, like chocolate, is never useless.

Call me stupid for trying to achieve this with the MFG and I won't disagree :)

A small Garmin Etrex in my bag runs for 8 hours on one charge, it doesn't change position to "nowhere" if it loses satellites, it works in bus, train and plane, it's accurate (except in concrete canyons) and can update the exifs with a few clicks in lightroom. It prolly works in China too...

Just noticed I keep calling it the MFG instead of MHG. Someone tried to bring this to my attention and I just assumed he was a trouble maker. Sorry. It prolly has a reality distortion field caused by the powerful radio receivers inside it.

Edited by Exodies
Not related to Dahl's BFG.

@exodies, #19:

Both the GPS-device in Leica's handgrip as well as the Google position are obviously correct. The reference system for modern navigation is WGS-84, which takes into account the spheroid shape of the earth, continental movement, tidal forces and so on. So the surface independent zero or Prime Meridian is more than 100 m off the historic (tourist) line!

@exodies, #19:

Both the GPS-device in Leica's handgrip as well as the Google position are obviously correct. The reference system for modern navigation is WGS-84, which takes into account the spheroid shape of the earth, continental movement, tidal forces and so on. So the surface independent zero or Prime Meridian is more than 100 m off the historic (tourist) line!

That's quite interesting but does it explain why Exodies' GPS placed the photo south of the M25 in the Surrey/Kent hinterlands.

That's quite interesting but does it explain why Exodies' GPS placed the photo south of the M25 in the Surrey/Kent hinterlands.

Could be that that was the last location the GPS picked up a signal. If that was the route the camera had traveled. Else I don't know.

The new Apple IOS where the images are located by known locations is quite neat. We will see more of that type of organizing in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

The M's GPS isn't always wrong. In this location it agrees with two Garmin machines.

Values recalculated to normalise format using GPS Coordinate Converter, Maps and Info

ETREX    N 49 37.283    E 6 09.567
Montana  N 49 37.282    E 6 09.566
M        N 49 37.283    E 6 09.567

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 3 years later...