35mm Summilix-M f/1.4 or 35mm Summicron-M f/2 & 50mm Summicron-M f/2

Jon

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am brand new to Leica and have purchased the M240 just a couple of days ago. I have always wanted to own a Leica and the opportunity presented itself and I could not let it pass by. Because I am so new to Leica I could use some recommendations on lens selection. I have roughly 6k to spend and cannot decide if I should buy the 35 f1.4 Summilux or for roughly the same money buy the 35 and 50 Summicron f2's.

Is there a 2k difference between the 35 lux and cron? Either way it seems like I win.

I have gone back and forth and could give you 50 reasons why each option is the right one for me but I was hoping to hear some feedback from the community. I know that there are other lens options out there but at this time I only want to go with Leica and only buy new.

My wife is buying me the M240 for Christmas so I don't get to use it until then it gives me just enough time to get some lenses here before Christmas. It is killing me by the way!

Any help would be appreciated.

It depends on what you like to photograph. If you take photographs in dark places e.g. at night, indoors etc, then buy the 35 summilux (ideally the currently FLE Asph if that's the one you are looking at). If that's not your thing, then the 35 and 50 summicron are both great lenses by anyone's standards.

The newest Leica lenses e.g. the 35 summilux FLE and the 50 summicron asph are stellar by even Leica's standards. Whichever option you choose, I am sure you will be delighted. At any rate, you won't lose much money (if at all) if you don't like the lenses and choose to sell at a later date.

Good luck. I hope you have reciprocated with something even nicer for your good Wife.

Best wishes,

Charlie

Charlie Chan

What I would say isn't original or profound. The high ISO performance of the M is improved over its predecessors, so I would venture to suggest that, unless you really need the last ounce of available light, you may well not need the extra one stop of the Summilux over the Summicron, at least for that reason. So then you need to ask yourself whether you would like to be able to exploit the last ounce of narrow depth of field granted by the Summilux. Both of these considerations are entirely a function of your own photographic style, so really only you can answer these questions. Were I in your position I would go for the two Summicrons, but I'm not you!