3rd party batteries for Leica M240

Jakobben

• 2 years later...

I've had two M8 bodies since 2007 and bought an extra 6 batteries "from some guy" in China so I could power my cameras on 6-week wilderness trips.  Of the original 8 batteries 7 are still functioning.  One after market battery swelled suspiciously a couple years ago.  Otherwise, the only problem with the non-Leica batteries has been the inaccurate display of capacity remaining issue.

I'm surprised that any of these batteries have lasted 10 years.  For that matter, I've never used a digital camera other than the M8 for a period that long either.

Now I've taken possession of an M-P (type 240).  I've used it quite a bit over the past week learning the various functions, etc.  Battery is still at 70%.  I'll order a spare OEM battery just to be safe, but the reports of improved battery life with the M240 sure appear to be true.

Edited by DaveB

• 6 years later...

I just had ALL 3 M240 batteries die.  I had no choice but bought a new one.  NO REASON for Leica to charge that much for a battery.  Do I like Leica/?  Look at my email address.  I am a registered Professional Leica shooter, and I used them when I was a Crime Scene Photographer.  BTW, I own 6 Leica cameras.

I’m surprised that all batteries died. Normally Leica batteries are quite long lived. I have a couple of M8/9 ones from 2006 that are still OK and my M 240 ones never gave problem.  A SL battery died on me recently, though, because the camera was on auto shutoff but the bag it was in kept pushing the release button pushing the battery below the rechargeable threshold. Yes, I find them overpriced too, but given the price of the camera it is just a drop in the ocean. However, three none-Leica but reputable brand ones for my CL have expired in the last few years, mostly through swelling.