ZM 25 or 28 on the M(240)

microview

Now we can focus through the lens with the EVF, has anyone taken advantage of the closer (than 700mm) focus distances possible with the Zeiss 25mm and 28mm lenses? And can you recommend either on the M for resolution/colour?

Dear microview,

have a look at the MTF diagrams of the Biogon T* 2.8/25 ZM and the 2.8/28 ZM, they speak for themselves, in particular in comparison with the Elmarit-M 1:2.8/28 asph.

You will notive that Zeiss 25mm is superb, the Leica 28mm as well, the Zeiss 28 is relatively soft, in particular in the corners and needs stopping down.

The Zeiss 28 was my first lens on the M9 and it didn't take long I wanted to get rid of it. I managed to exchange it for the supers Biogon T* 2.8/21 ZM and further down the line got a used but new Elmarit-M 1:2.8/28 asph.

Hope that helps your decision.

Joerg

• Like 1

I have the 25 ZM Biogon and have had the 28 Biogon. I now have the 28 ASPH Summicron, which is better than the 28 Biogon but enough to warrant the difference in price? I am not at all sure. The 25 Biogon is excellent on all digital M's. There is still a tiny amount of red edge, even with the latest FW. You cannot code as a 21/2.8 due to the 35mm framelines. The 25 is first class for house and yacht interiors, as it is very rectilinear. Value for money, difficult to beat. I am thinking of adding an 18mm ZM Distagon to the stable.

Wilson

• Like 1

I have always been fond of Carl Zeiss optics from the time I used Hasselblad. I bought a Zeiss Ikon and a some ZM lenses a few years back. Among them this superb ZM25. It worked fine on M8 too. But on M9 it produced distinct Italian Flag. So I sold it. - I had also bought a 16-18-21 WATE with my M8, - but still I missed the ZM25. Another ZM lens I would reccommend is the Sharp and With high contrast ZM50 mm 2,0.

I have a ZM 25 Biogon and use the lens only at very close focus @f/2.8. The results are superb on both the MM and M240. I love the lens.

The Elmar 24 is one of my two favorite lenses, so I use the Biogon really for portraiture when I hope for separation and smoother drawing than the bite of the Elmar.

Depending upon hand size, you can probably use my estimation technique and dispense with LV and accessory viewfinders and the like. Find your focus point and stretch hand out so the tip of the thumb touches the focus point and the tip of the little finger touches something else you can easily aim at through your M OVF. Focus at the distant, little finger tip point, then range the 25 Biogon focus back to ,5m and shoot. This works very well for me, and the performance of the lens is just fantastic wide open.

Here is an example, degraded substantially to fit forum restrictions. Unsharp mask in CS6 was 50%... so you know the 25 Biogon is really crisp.

Peter

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Now we can focus through the lens with the EVF, has anyone taken advantage of the closer (than 700mm) focus distances possible with the Zeiss 25mm and 28mm lenses? And can you recommend either on the M for resolution/colour?

Yes sure Zeiss Biogon 25mm it is amazing

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5501/11548616144_fac0189bd6_c.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3821/11592896323_ac59ceb7f9_b.jpg

• 1 year later...

I have both ZM 25 & 28 currently in my stable.  They are superb lenses.  The 25mm is probably ? the better of the two but with the M240 you can not frame it properly in the rangefinder & have to guess.  I asked Zeiss to send me a 28mm base plate for my 25mm & they did for free.  You can not go wrong with either of these lenses, they are both great.  The 28mm is under rated.

Just so that you know the company that they keep in my 'stable' (I am fussy):

ZM: 25mm/2.8,  28mm/2.8,  35mm/1.4,  50mm/1.5

CV: 15mm/4.5 v3

Leica:  21mmSEM,  35mm/1.4FLE,  50mm/0.95,  50mm/1.4,  50mm/2 APO, 75mm/2

Martin

• Like 1

I have both ZM 25 & 28 currently in my stable.  They are superb lenses.  The 25mm is probably ? the better of the two but with the M240 you can not frame it properly in the rangefinder & have to guess.  I asked Zeiss to send me a 28mm base plate for my 25mm & they did for free.  You can not go wrong with either of these lenses, they are both great.  The 28mm is under rated.

Just so that you know the company that they keep in my 'stable' (I am fussy):

ZM: 25mm/2.8,  28mm/2.8,  35mm/1.4,  50mm/1.5

CV: 15mm/4.5 v3

Leica:  21mmSEM,  35mm/1.4FLE,  50mm/0.95,  50mm/1.4,  50mm/2 APO, 75mm/2

Martin

Martin,

On the M240 do you have to manually select the proper lens profile or do you leave it on automatic?​

I manually select (Leica 28mm f2.8) for both lenses on the M240 - you can then select in LR6.  I did try 6-bit coding them but on the M240 it is difficult to get it to recognise them.  I've taken to writing the lens code in the ZM or CV 'lens grove' (so I don't forget) & switching to 'manual lens selection' on the camera.  This is not an ideal situation but I am making less errors (with practice) in terms of forgetting to switch back to 'automatic lens selection'.

Edited by DMJ

• 2 months later...

I manually select (Leica 28mm f2.8) for both lenses on the M240

Any particular reason why you choose 28mm profile ? Why not the 24mm one ? Just curious as I have just bought one mint used Biogon 25mm and would like to set it correctly on my M-P

I had the Biogon T* 2.8/25 ZM for some years and it was indeed an outstanding lens, especially for interiors, etc. I didn't have much need for it's close focus capability.

However I later replaced it with the 3.8/24 Elmar when I found one at a too-good-to-refuse price and have had no regrets whatsoever.

I have the 25mm Biogon.  It is outstanding, optically and physically.  I bought it for my Ricoh GR M-Module (to compensate for the sensor crop) and it transitioned perfectly to my M240 as a architectural wide angle. 

While I envy the 100 gram weight loss of the typ 262, using this lens with live view is perfection on a 240.  I have the optical view finder, but live view allows focus and composition at the same time, which is the whole point of the M series. 

On my recent vacation in Europe, all I brought was my 50mm Summilux ASPH, 35mm Ultron, and ZM 25mm. 

• 1 year later...