Weather sealing without the hotshoe plate???

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My question today, is whether the M240 is weather sealed if you don't use Leica's Hot Shoe Cover? I'm thinking particulaily about the EVF socket. The leica cover has a little bit of rubber plastic that carfully hugs the socket.

An extention of that first question is in regards to my specific uses. I often use an optical viewfinder or a flash. Would it be feasible to walk around without that hot shoe cover? Would it be advisable to put a piece of gaffer tape over that cover so that the hot shoe is always accessible?

A bit of electrical tape to cover would certainly do no harm and give you peace of mind though it would be a pain if you use the EVF having to replace it all the time. In reality you would probably have to get the camera pretty wet to get any significant amount of water into the EVF socket but the that little rubber seal must be there for a reason

Edited by viramati

Why don’t you get a lens cap “keeper”, which is a short length of thin cord with a small disc at one end and a loop at the other to go round a lens or connect to a strap. The disc has a sticky pad on it. With the sticky pad on the protector, this would then make sure you don’t lose the protector when it is removed to fit the EVF, flash or other shoe mounted device. I show an example below but there are lots of varieties.

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't think it is weather sealed without the little hotshoe cap, since it protects the Multifunctional interface, for the EVF and more... I must say I don't like it since it looks ugly but also not having it on looks ugly as well because of the EVF socket... its a lose/lose ;(

From an earlier thread....

After a week of ownership of an M typ 240 I've collected some random thoughts and impressions, particularly ones I haven't seen addressed before. Sorry if I'm doubling up.

....(snipped)

- I contacted Leica regarding the weather sealing on the body with respect to the data port. Leica recommends using the hot shoe cover when not using the EVF for optimum moisture sealing. The hot shoe cover does have a rubber gasket, and I believe you can buy replacements/spares (for $55 a pop). They also mentioned that the EVF itself should provide enough sealing to prevent the port from being affected by moisture, despite the fact that it doesn't have any rubber sealing on its own. I'm sure the sealing is to protect against damage to the contacts.

...(snipped)

Jeff

• Like 1

I would hope that keeping a Thumbs-Up in place in the shoe does a good job of protecting, as well... mine stays in there constantly.

Without some sort of rubber gasket or other seal between the Thumbs-Up and the EVF port I cannot see where any protection is offered, at least where moisture is concerned.

My guess is that the camera main seal remains in tact and that the cap just prevents contamination/corrosion of the contacts...

When I sent my M in to have the lugs refitted in May I forgot to put the hot shoe plate on the camera. When It arrived back in Korea, I found that Leica Solms had put a new hot shoe protector on the camera (free!). I was told by the repair person at Bondo, the Leica dealer in Seoul, that the hot shoe cover must be kept in place as otherwise moisture can enter the camera through that port. He said that was especially true in Korea as it is very hot and muggy in the summer.

• Like 1

When I sent my M in to have the lugs refitted in May I forgot to put the hot shoe plate on the camera. When It arrived back in Korea, I found that Leica Solms had put a new hot shoe protector on the camera (free!). I was told by the repair person at Bondo, the Leica dealer in Seoul, that the hot shoe cover must be kept in place as otherwise moisture can enter the camera through that port. He said that was especially true in Korea as it is very hot and muggy in the summer.

Well that sounds definitive enough for me!

Are you in Seoul? I'm in Ulsan and need to send my camera back to Solms...

• 8 years later...

this is a little niggle of mine: Leica should have made a little pouch for the hot shoe cover in the EVF case- or better still- had a slot on the EVF where the cover could be stored.

and while they were at it- they really should add small raised edges around the RF and optical finder windows as on the M3- to protest from fingerprints and scratches. 😎

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/20/2022 at 5:31 PM, jaques said:

this is a little niggle of mine: Leica should have made a little pouch for the hot shoe cover in the EVF case- or better still- had a slot on the EVF where the cover could be stored.

and while they were at it- they really should add small raised edges around the RF and optical finder windows as on the M3- to protest from fingerprints and scratches. 😎

I just slide the protector into the EVF pouch and let it go at that.  That eliminates one item and assures that when I switch I can lay my hands on the protector easily.  It's where the EVF will soon be.   ;o)