Tri-Elmar 28-35-50 question

tgm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In combination with the M 240 and live view it might be tempting to use the Tri-Elmar at focal lengths in between 28 and 35 or between 35 and 50 mm. Will the rangfinder give also correct focusing? Will the Tri Elmar behave like a conventional zoom lens?

Thomas

Some of these were shot "in between" the fixed stops of 28-35-50:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/architecture/311582-old-red-ii.html

I do not notice any focus shift in my copy. I use settings above f/8.0 mostly.

I must say I prefer using the rangefinder to focus as opposed to the EVF/Live View. I have much more success quicker with it.

In framing the EVF is very useful using the MATE in between the fixed stops.

?

Do I understand you correctly, in between the 'fixed' focal lengths 28, 35 and 50 mm the lens has a focus shift?

Thomas

I think he means you will not get focus lengths in between 28 and 35, and 35 and 50 which is how you originally expressed the question. The Tri-Elmar only offers 28, 35 and 50 mm focal lengths, nothing in between.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think he means you will not get focus lengths in between 28 and 35, and 35 and 50 which is how you originally expressed the question. The Tri-Elmar only offers 28, 35 and 50 mm focal lengths, nothing in between.

That's not quite true. The lens, on the M-240 works just like a zoom lens with focal lengths between 28 and 50 mm. Live View is needed to focus and frame more accurately.

That's not quite true. The lens, on the M-240 works just like a zoom lens with focal lengths between 28 and 50 mm. Live View is needed to focus and frame more accurately.

Thanks a lot, off course Live View helps for accurate framing, but is it also necessary for accurate focussing?

Is the Tri Elmar a variable focus lens or a real zoom lens with focal plane independent of focal length?

Thomas

Thanks a lot, off course Live View helps for accurate framing, but is it also necessary for accurate focussing?

Is the Tri Elmar a variable focus lens or a real zoom lens with focal plane independent of focal length?

Thomas

I believe that in between the fixed stops Live View is needed for accurate focusing.

I haven't tested it with the rangefinder mechanism. I suppose at aperture settings above f/8 it will be in the focus range at a moderate distance even with the rangefinder focusing.

Thomas

It works similar to how a zoom lens works, however it has focal length stops and no interim focal length markings. Since the frame lines on RF cameras are calibrated for specific focal lengths (and distance usually 1 or 2m), using the viewfinder for framing will accurate for only the indicated frame lines. So if you're going to use the interim focal lengths, you will not be able to accurately frame your shot.

It works similar to how a zoom lens works, however it has focal length stops and no interim focal length markings. Since the frame lines on RF cameras are calibrated for specific focal lengths (and distance usually 1 or 2m), using the viewfinder for framing will accurate for only the indicated frame lines. So if you're going to use the interim focal lengths, you will not be able to accurately frame your shot.

Except with the EVF. Then it works.

• Like 1

Not to mention possible random lens corrections or exif data.

I just stick to the 3 focal lengths offered and, if needed, use the crop tool.

• Like 1

In combination with the M 240 and live view it might be tempting to use the Tri-Elmar at focal lengths in between 28 and 35 or between 35 and 50 mm. Will the rangfinder give also correct focusing? Will the Tri Elmar behave like a conventional zoom lens?

Thomas

I would not operate the lens while its focal length is not at click position. This lens has somewhat fragile mechanics.

I really don't see the point of using a MATE in this way. I believe I read somewhere that the lens is not designed or intended to be used at intermediate positions. After all, it is often quite possible to walk a little closer or further back to achieve desired framing.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Just tried this with the MATE.  While it is sometimes possible to focus in-between the fixed zoom settings, the distance indicated is WAY off, which makes me think it will not work in general.  For example, with a subject about 5 feet from the lens, when in between the 35 and 50mm settings I have to focus at about 20 feet indicated.  I have no idea if the quality if the image would be good (didn't bother to try that), but it certainly suggests you would not be able to achieve infinity focus at that mid-point zoom setting.

Just tried this with the MATE.  While it is sometimes possible to focus in-between the fixed zoom settings, the distance indicated is WAY off, which makes me think it will not work in general.

Indeed the MATE is a zoom lens in that one can choose any intermediary focal length at their will but the results are blurred there so the lens works fine at 28, 35 and 50mm only.

Indeed the MATE is a zoom lens in that one can choose any intermediary focal length at their will but the results are blurred there so the lens works fine at 28, 35 and 50mm only.

Unless you use live view or EVF in which case you can focus.