What kind of bag?

Harryup

Out of my bag collection, I'd be carrying one of three bags.

(1) Think Tank Urban Disguise: I admit I don't carry my laptop much. But if I do need to carry my laptop out of my house, this is the bag I would go to. However, do not expect to shoot out of it. Do not expect to show up on location standing upright.

In this, I put my 17 inch laptop, and Hasselblad with two lenes, 3 backs and a lightmeter. I have a Urban Disguise 60 because it is a 17 inch laptop. I think one of this bags might be most suitable for you. I also purchased the extra shoulder straps that allows the bag to be worn like a backpack. Uncomrtable and awkard, but damn a lot better than carrying all that weight on one shoulder.

(2) Chrome Messenger: This is my daily bag. Throw a camera insert (i.e. billingham or anything you can find), it can come with a laptop insert for your 15 inch laptop. I've fit a 17 inch in my Chrome messenger; although I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.

The down sides: It isn't something I can wear to any fancy place (thus i bought a billingham to take my stuff to a wedding - but it doesn't fit a 15 inch laptop). And the bag design is really like a bucket. So there will inevitably be some stuff lost at the bottom. Usually some coins and pens.

the plus side: This is a really fast bag. the straps loosen and swings around instantly. It provides quick easy access to gear when changing body or lenses. The straps also close up quickly and keeps the bag close to the body. This keeps the bag secure and doesn't swing around like traditional shoulder bags. I really like shooting with this bag. And the straps are big and heavy and comfortable so it doesn't strain the shoulder too much (unless I'm carrying a 17 inch laptop or a large format camera)

(3) F-stop Loka with medium ICU: This would also need a laptop insert. This is a back pack that I would choose because I really don't recommend carrying a 15 inch laptop in a shoulder bag. They get heavy really quick. So my primary emphasis here is comfort.

Finding the perfect camera bag is an evolutionary process. In other words, I have gone through about five bags to get to the current "perfect" one--perfect until I find a better one. No matter how much testing you do in the store, it is only through actual use that you see whether a bag works or not.

My current system: I purchased the Think Tank Urban Disguise 50 V2.0 (Think Tank Photo Urban Disguise 50 V2.0 (Black) 821 B&H Photo). In the center pouch, I am able to put an M, an MM, and two lenses--it works, but you can inadvertently turn on the camera when you slip it in if you aren't careful. On top of that, I put the chargers. In one test, I also got two small hard drives in the space, but I may have put the chargers in the outer pouch. The bag is made of ballistic nylon and comes with a rain cover. It is well padded.

There is a compartment for a laptop. I use it to store a 13 inch Macbook Pro and an iPad. The specs say it will hold a 15.4 inch laptop. In the outer pouch, I store batteries, plenty of SD cards, and a pouch filled with filters.

I recently traveled with this bag on a trip to LA. It fit under the seat in coach, including a narrower slot for the aisle seat.

This is a bag that works for transporting your gear. I would not use it once I was at my destination--walking around photography in a city. I also took an Artist and Artesian canvas bag, which permits me to carry the cameras, another lens, spare batteries, filters, and some extra cards when I am out photographing. I packed it with socks and underwear and it took almost no more room in my suitcase that the socks and underwear alone.

Think Tank makes a strap system that permits you to attach a tripod to its bag--it is extra but not expensive. Good idea, but I still put my tripod in my suitcase. I am afraid a tripod might not make it through airport security if visible.

As you will see, neither of these bags is that expensive. Some people like expensive bags (leather), but I am not a big fan of expensive luggage. Bags just get beat up and an expensive one attracts the wrong type of attention.

All I'll say is that if you are open enough to the idea of carrying one or two bodies and two to three lenses I don't think you want a 'fitted' bag, one that only takes that amount of gear. Some people like something that fits like a glove, you seem open to the idea of carrying 'stuff' around with you as well. I particularly like Think Tank bags because generally speaking they design them for 'stuff', like a laptop, a bottle of water, filters, brushes, cloths, a few business cards, oh, and your camera and lenses.

Steve

EVERY bag topic has been covered, including this one, as discussed here. More using the search box.

Jeff

I don't disagree with you, but that can be said for a high percentage of the posts to this and other forums. In recent days, there have been new posts on best monitors for editing, dropping equipment, steve huff, proper exposure, hopes for the next digital M, M start up time, half cases, M9 on ebay, etc., etc, .etc. Different people respond with different experiences and everyone is free to ignore the thread. Plus in the case of something like bags, there is always a new one coming along.

I also find that searching can be a problem at times. Sometimes way to many threads come back.

best

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Didn't mean that new posts, on any subject, aren't welcome...otherwise we'd have little to discuss. But the OP is new and might not know the degree to which folks love their bags, and bag threads.

And it's better IMO to learn about the search box sooner than later, since there's good info to be found on many matters. I rarely have trouble doing so, and almost always, as my post shows, go to the trouble of giving someone a good link to start.

Jeff

• Like 1

Thanks for your suggestions so far.

But these ones are a bit bulkier than I had hope for.

I would prefer a more Ona Brixton like bag although it could be a bit difficult to find for a 15". My main purpose would be to use it for short trips, walks etc. Not for transport of equipment.

/Harry

Working with computers and documenting network installations.

Beside that I have a neck injury so a Nikon dslr with a 17-35/2.8 is far to heavy nowadays together with the computer. And I also flying a lot and using a ordinary check-in luggage so a small bag would be nice on crowded flights.

/Harry

• Like 1

Working with computers and documenting network installations.

Beside that I have a neck injury so a Nikon dslr with a 17-35/2.8 is far to heavy nowadays together with the computer. And I also flying a lot and using a ordinary check-in luggage so a small bag would be nice on crowded flights.

/Harry

I travel too Harry as I work a 7 on 7 off schedule and can be anywhere in the world during my work week. I carry one Leica digital body and 3 lenses with me along with a couple filters, SD cards, Whibal card, extra battery and charger.

For my work I have to carry a company iPad. I also bring my 15" MacBook Pro along with a couple external drives.

My main luggage is a 22" TravelPro Crew Rollerboard. Here in the states I don't like to check a bag and this will fit in the overhead of "normal" size mainline carriers. For the smaller regional aircraft I can gate check and retrieve the bag as I'm getting off the flight.

I use a STM Messenger Laptop bag for my laptop, iPad, Bose headphones and other accessories.

I have room in the STM bag next to the Bose headphones to fit my Leica M-E with one lens attached along with a filter and cleaning cloth.

In the 22" Travelpro I have my lenses and other camera accessories in a Bare Bones Bag.

While traveling I have access to my camera and one lens. When I get to destination I, of course, use the Bare Bones Bag to carry camera gear while out shooting and the laptop bag stays back at the hotel.

This may not work for you but it is how I've managed now for 2 years working on the road.

I keep thinking I need a different bag for on the road but the BBB collapses nicely and when in use does not scream high end camera gear.

At home, though, I use a Billingham Hadley Pro.

• Like 1

My top-tip would be to carry a small backpack for PC and other stuff + a small bag for photo equipment that fits into (top) of backpack. My favorite bags are Billihams. I really like the Hadley Digital Camera Bag, because it limits me to M + 2 extra lenses. No velcro, waterproof, durable and well designed. For backpack a small Flallraven Big Kanken, or a Tanner.

I use a Barbour oiled canvas/leather flap, bag with a Billingham insert. I have glued the lens rear caps back to back and so my lenses go in in pairs. That way I can carry a body, six lenses, and a WATE with the Frankenfinder beneath it.

I don't usually carry the laptop but am almost sure that on occasion (would have been on a flight) I have managed to squeeze my 15" MacBook Pro in as well.

Regards, Tom