Sign in to follow this  
Guest guy_mancuso

How many just leave the DSLR at Home Now

Well, I haven't succombed to buying a M8 yet. My wife would crucify me! Anyway I'm still very happy with my DMR. I shoot sports stuff as well (my kids in school matches and rugby matches too) and need the longer focal lengths. My M6 is still used and I can't see me trading it in. After all, my 6 year old son has discovered the magic of wet darkroom work and I will need to keep him going (funnily enough my two older kids aren't too bothered).

Charlie

Guest tummydoc

I have not used my D200 since I finally got a working (so far) M8 (third one). However I have no plans to sell the Nikon, at least not until this M8 has lasted a year without failing. Recently I had to remove the battery to reset it, so I'm hoping it's not starting to die.

I still like my 5D with the 35L 1.4 it's a fairly small package and quieter than my M8. I can put it and my M8 and a few lenses in a Lowe Pro Slingshot 200 and and walk around for hours. I also like it for macro and the very odd occassion that I use a long lens.

I love my M8 but I know I will need to send it back to Solms and be without it for a month but I'm putting that off as far as I can.

There are other lighter monopods that have legs.

Pardon the quip, but could this be a photographic oxymoron?

LJ

Would I replace my R8/DMR and my numerous R lenses with an M8 system? No way in hell! Would I get the M8 as a complementary camera as with other Ms, sure why not? These are complementary systems, they are not meant to be mutually exclusive. Besides we just need to use the right tools for the job. If the job calls for large or medium format, DMR or digital rangefinder, that is what I will use. Oh, I do use my CLux 1 a lot...

that aside for my personal work I only use the R8/DMR.

Cheers,

My 5D is staying home nearly all the time these days. It's not because of an M8, but rather because of my D2! The D2 is just such a pleasure to use, and way easier to bring everywhere than the 5D.

I hold little to no affection for my Canon DSLRs. But I do hold them in high respect. They are the primary tool for wedding work for a number of reasons. I use most of the fast aperture EOS lenses, and being able to snap focus a 50/1.2L, 85/1.2L MKII and 135/2L in low light is the nano second difference between a keeper and a cull.

That said, my hope is to integrate the M8s (now two of them), into more of this work, and return to the way I used to do weddings with two M7s supplemented by a DSLR.

When my Hasselblad HD/31 arrives with it's excellent ISO 800 files, it is conceivable that the Canons may be orphaned.

Pardon the quip, but could this be a photographic oxymoron?

LJ

Not really, as a monopod has but one leg, more of a redundancy.

Having never owned a DSLR, I don't have one to leave at home.

I DO leave the Sony R1 at home all the time, though.

But then, that's why I got the R1 instead of an SLR - because I knew it would make a cheaper and less complex 10Mpixel paperweight once the M digital arrived.