How many just leave the DSLR at Home Now

Guest guy_mancuso

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think this can be a very interesting thread to see how much use folks are getting out of the M system compared to there DSLR system. I 'll start i gave up the DSLR completely for now , may get a medium format Dig back but decided i can do almost anything with the M system and just skip over the DSLR. Radical move but i'm comfortable with the decision.

So all those folks that had DSLR system going into buying a M8 , have you left or sold off your DSLR system or just using the long stuff when you need it.

What are your feelings now. Have fun

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my case, all I take along routinely now is the M8 except for those situations when I really nead some particular characteristic of the D200. Macrophotography is one of those areas mostly because I don't own enough leica macro stuff and I am a bit put off by the need to chimp to guess macro DOF.

I also use the D200 for long lenses (200mm and over) both for viewfinder magification and for the vibration reduction technology implemented in those lenses.

Flash is another area where my existing collection of Nikon system flash just does not help me much with the M8 (That would change if I can figure out hoe to use the SU200 with the M8 or find a reasonable solution for portable battery flash with pocket wizard capability built in.

All told, that makes it about 75% of my actual shooting time is with the M8, the rest with the DSLR.

-bob

I had a 5D and a whole set of Canon L primes, a few Leica R and a couple of Contax CZ lenses when I purchased my M8.

I was soon using the 5D so little that I sold it and bought an XTi as my backup to the M8. I sold most of my lenses for the 5D (to fund my growing Leica M addiction:p.) I retained a wide zoom, my Leica 35 cron and 60 macro lenses, 85L (going on the block soon) and 200L. I really don't enjoy shooting with the SLR any more.

Hi Guy

Well, I still have my Olympus gear, the 330 is great for macro, and the E1 . . . well, it's the E1 - you can just about take pictures underwater with it, it's so well made (I love it!). The Nikon gear all went to ebay to fund a second M8 body, and I haven't missed it for a second.

In my case, all I take along routinely now is the M8 except for those situations when I really nead some particular characteristic of the D200. Macrophotography is one of those areas mostly because I don't own enough leica macro stuff and I am a bit put off by the need to chimp to guess macro DOF.

I also use the D200 for long lenses (200mm and over) both for viewfinder magification and for the vibration reduction technology implemented in those lenses.

Flash is another area where my existing collection of Nikon system flash just does not help me much with the M8 (That would change if I can figure out hoe to use the SU200 with the M8 or find a reasonable solution for portable battery flash with pocket wizard capability built in.

All told, that makes it about 75% of my actual shooting time is with the M8, the rest with the DSLR.

-bob

What Bob said!

There are simply things that I can do with the D200 that the Leica can't do or can't do easily.

But those are generally at the extremes of the spectrum -- super wide, macro, telephoto and VR among them. And yeah I need those from time to time.

But at the moment the M8 gets all of my attention -- of course it's the new kid!

In the one month I have had my M8 I have not used my DSLR (all three of them) at all. Was just going through all my equipment last night and thinking what I could sell or trade to get some more lenses. I will keep at least one lens for macro and my 70 - 200 and 1.4 extender as well as an intermediate telephoto and the flash. My wife said that since I got the M8 it appears to be attached to me at my hip - there are very few places I go without it. And it is such a pleasure to shoot with - especially for someone like me who is up in years and has difficulty using a DSLR without a tripod because of it's weight.

Harris

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Feel a little sad for my D2X gear. It hasn't seen daylight since I got the M8 almost three months ago. But when I'm asked to take pictures at parties, quick candids will still require the auto focus of my D2X. And of course its flash and zoom lens options are a big plus in such situations.

Just going over some stuff I shot last year on a job with the D200 and quite impressed with the quality. Don't think I'll abandon it yet, esp for the long lens/cu work or fast action.

And it and/or a M film body will always be along on a job until I can afford a second M8. I still don't trust it in the least. Theoretically three M8s would be needed - two for me and a third for Solms.

Anyway, looks like I'll have to get my wide lenses $#@#@ coded sometime soon (can't get the sharpie to work for me) so it'll be back to the dslr anyway.

got my first m8 with 50mm f/1.4 in november 2006 as birthday present from my wife. fell for it immediately, and started a lens collection. except for some sports shots of my kids, i've pretty much ignored my r9/dmr and 1ds mk2 since. oh, and got a second m8 to help me survive the first's ten week vacation in solms. then got an m7 for more fun. i really, really want to do some more slr shots, but the images, system size, fun, discreteness, etc., of the m8 make it really hard to go back.

john

The last two trips I've taken to California & Las Vegas were only M8, partly because of its novelty & also size, quality etc. My D2x sits for now as well as the D1x_IR.Not ready to sell those yet although I did finally sell my Kodak 14nx!(what a loss that was! oh well paid for my 28 elmarit!)I stilll enjoy using the CLS system with my D2x also.

When I first got the M8 my Nikon D200 didn't come out of the bag for about 1.5 months.

Since then I have used it when I needed a really wide lens, I have a 12-24, Macro stuff and long telephoto.

In fact I took the D200 with me today because I knew I'd be in a place that if I did take any images I would need the 12-24 and controlled flash and that the place I went to is very dusty.

Soon I will get either the CV 15 or a WATE and once I get the 24mm ASPH back from NJ the D200 may not see the light of day for a while.

Over that years I have always had both in my bag. At the moment I use an E-1 for macro, tele and ultra wide angle. With ultra wide, I just lke to see the distortions, that I am creating before I touch the shutter button, to see if I can use them. As I get older, I do tend to prefer a smaller & lighter kit. The M-class viewfinder does kick me into a different altered state for composition....LOL

Bob

when I got my M8 I planned to do some comparason shots with my 5D especially of the 135 apo vs. 135L, the 85L vs. the 75lux and the 50ies (cron vs. 1.4). I never found myself touching the 5D, not even a single shot. I do use my R-D1 when I need a second body, but I must say that I do not use it as much as I thought I would although I really like it. I don't plan to get rid of the 5D. I have the 24 1.4 L and many other unique lenses. I have a few L zooms (16-35, 24-70 and 80-200) but I always prefared primes. I just find myself concentrating on things that I can do with the Leica. The only thing I can say is that for what I do, VC 12 and VC 15 and Leica 21 asph are great substitutes to the 16-35L and even the VCs although slower, are much sharper and flatter.

I never expected the M8 would replace my DSLR, but it has. The M8 is much more than just an excellent digital rangefinder, it is a fantastic full-featured digital camera. As Guy said earlier, there is not much the M8 cannot do. I had never thought on sticking a flash or a macro on my M7 and they are now both in my camera bag. I have hardly used the 5D since getting the M8, but I am not sure I am ready to part with it by fear of regretting it. After all the 5D is also a very competent digital camera, the first digital camera that gave me the satisfaction of a film camera. Therefore, I think i will keep the 5D as a backup to the M8.

I sold my D200 and all lenses to acquire the M8. I wanted a lighter kit and to be able to use my M lenses on a digital was a huge advantage. I was most pleasantly surprised to find that the Leica lens signature transfers beautifully to digital. I was more than happy to leave the bulk and weight of the DSLR and return to the M system which I have always thought to be the quintessential photography outfit. BTW, I always used a film-based M for my DSLR backup.

That said, there are occasions when a DSLR can come in handy but I'm coping well enough without.

As a professional involved in the portrait field, I acquired the Leica kit to supplement and enhance my imagery, but not to replace my existing Canon gear. Both systems have their unique strengths and weaknesses, and while the M8 has served as the camera of choice for travel, it won't take over primary studio duties, which are well served by two 1DsMkIIs, an IR-converted 5D, a 15mm fisheye, 16-35L, 24L, 24-70L, 24-105L, 50L, 65 1x-5x, 85L, 90TS-E, 100 Macro, 70-200L, and 135L. My clients routinely buy 30" and 40" prints which the 1DsMkIIs handle with aplomb, but would take more effort with the M8.

If I didn't have to get paid for my work the M8 would be more than up to the task for virtually anything I would require of it. In fact, it could handle 75% of the paying jobs I do, but since the other 25% of my business is very important at this point, the Canons will remain part of the arsenal.

No regrets with the M8, the WATE, the 28 Cron, 50 Lux or 75 Cron, though. Very slick iron.

John