Fav 50 for Monochrom

Acekerman

Yes, very strange situation. The one I am using now seems to have one very very thin silver ring way down deep inside and no others. So far so good, but then I am not one to often shoot in a way that could induce flare either.

As I really only use the APO50 for landscapes I do not particularly try avoid situations where flare might occur, and still the lens

has been flare-less for months.

Cogitating about this yesterday it occurred to me that the only difference between now and back in my early days

of owning this lens (when the CVF incident occurred) I had not yet started using coloured filters on it. After some experimentation

I now permanently use a medium red filter on the lens.

At risk of asking a silly question....could it be possible that the red filter has some deadening effect on the reflection

from the silver ring/rings or whatever else is causing the APO50 flare anomaly?

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At risk of asking a silly question....could it be possible that the red filter has some deadening effect on the reflection

from the silver ring/rings or whatever else is causing the APO50 flare anomaly?

Would be interesting if you - or someone else of the APO50 owners - could do a few twin shot tests in conditions potentially prone to CVF. I will try, when time permits (and light conditions are challenging).

Would be interesting if you - or someone else of the APO50 owners - could do a few twin shot tests in conditions potentially prone to CVF. I will try, when time permits (and light conditions are challenging).

Regretfully I would have to decline, I really don't think I have the technical expertise to set up and carry out

test shots that would stand up to the scrutiny of the technical gurus that frequent this forum.

However I do think the answer to the APO 50's CVF problem is as simple as this:

Step 1. Purchase a Monochrom (if you do not already own one)

Step 2. Put a medium/dark red filter on your APO 50

Step 3. Put the APO 50 on the Monochrom and never again remove it.

(this works like a charm....see my earlier post #23 on this thread) :D

Point taken ;). I may do a few twin-tests since APO50, MM and some red-filters are in-house. I may also dare to show the results, despite imperfect setup and subsequent critique (that's what forums are for, at least for some of us...).

• Like 1

I have four 50s to use on the Monochrom :o.

I really should rationalise my lenses :rolleyes:.

1.4/50 Summilux ASPH - best all round. Sharp, contrasty but manageable, huge amounts of detail. Very versatile. Really can't go wrong with this lens.

1.0/50 E60 Noctilux takes that sharp edge off the Monochrom sensor and it's lower contrast renders very gently (like charcoal drawing as someone described the 50 Noctilux and 75 Sumilux in another post) which really does justice to the tonal range of the Monochrom.

4.0-28-50 E49 MATE. Also lovely on the Monochrom. Rendering sits between the above two lenses.

1.5/50 ZM C-Sonnar. Still getting a handle on this lens on the Monochrom. Maybe a bit like the Summilux except softer like the older Mandler lenses when wide open.

• Like 2

Another lens to consider is the Elmar-M collapsible. It has the advantage of putting a minimum of glass between your subject and your sensor which is exactly what the Monochrom is about - and it shows.:)

... which leads to the FINAL SOLUTION...:)

Skink Pinhole Pancake Pro Kit "Classic" - Leica

• Like 1

Another lens to consider is the Elmar-M collapsible. It has the advantage of putting a minimum of glass between your subject and your sensor which is exactly what the Monochrom is about - and it shows.:)

Jaap,

the M9/Monochrom and M240 manuals are quite clear that the only lens that can be collapsed into these cameras is the 4.0/90 Macro-Elmar-M.

I've been interested in this lens for a while but am terrified that one day I'll collapse it into the camera and damage it. I know that I could use some tape on the barrel to prevent the lens fully collapsing but that compromises the lens compactness.

Mark

Regretfully I would have to decline, I really don't think I have the technical expertise to set up and carry out

test shots that would stand up to the scrutiny of the technical gurus that frequent this forum.

Not a bad point at all.

I must say that I often use a 0.9 (3 stop) ND filter on my APO 50 when shooting color. Perhaps this lessens CVF? Any expert advice as this is beyond me?

• Like 1