Fav 50 for Monochrom

Acekerman

A lot of monochrom shooters agree that you want a 50 with a lot of micro detail, but less contrast than for color photography to preserve tonality.

I use the summicron 50 ("type 5" , current but non-apo). I have also used the summarit. They are both perfect, but the cron is better built . Summarit got too loose in the focusing for my taste.

The "rigid" summicron ("type 2") is also popular, but is hard to find in a good shape for an acceptable price.

• Like 1

I would also say the 50mm Summilux ASPH. A good balance between being very sharp but not to contrasty and it gives a classic 'roundness' to subjects in the smooth transition of tone. The bokeh is fairly good as well if you like that sort of thing.

Steve

• Like 2

So then how does your APO50 function as regards the flaring that so many had problems with on other threads?

My APO50 has been faultless apart from one instance of a peculiar central flare way back last July. I did post that shot on the "flare" thread at the time.

Can't really comment further as there hasn't been a repeat of the offence, though I have been waiting for it to happen. Incidentally my lens has the visible silver ring or rings.

Mysterious isn't it?!

My APO50 has been faultless apart from one instance of a peculiar central flare way back last July. I did post that shot on the "flare" thread at the time.

Can't really comment further as there hasn't been a repeat of the offence, though I have been waiting for it to happen. Incidentally my lens has the visible silver ring or rings.

Mysterious isn't it?!

Yes, very strange situation. The one I am using now seems to have one very very thin silver ring way down deep inside and no others. So far so good, but then I am not one to often shoot in a way that could induce flare either.