Multifunctional handgrip M no 14495 with GPS

Overgaard

I got the handgrip from a dealer in Perth, Australia last week and find that the GPS hangs in a location for several days, not matter if the camera is switched off and on, or the battery has been taken out.

What are other users experience. Does it work?

Yes, mine appears to work well. Immediately after switch on the important thing to check is the display of the satellite icon when you push the info button. At first it should show that no satellites have been acquired/locked (satellite symbol and circle with cross) and after a short time (seconds to perhaps 2 minutes) the icon should change to one just showing the satellite and no circle with cross after lock has been achieved. Does your grip go through this sequence when it appears to hang?

I still haven't worked out how long the camera will tag photos after lock has been lost. It appears to use/remember the last known good location unless the camera is switched off. It still remembers if the camera sleeps.

Oh, and I'll add keep your finger/hand away from the top of the grip - that can attenuate the signal and prevent lock.

Bob.

Edited by gravastar
  • Like 1

Thanks, that is interesting info.

I noticed mine was OFF "For legal reasons" (I'm in Shanghai) but then I turned it on and it stayed on, but with a satellite with a circle next to it with a X inside. And then when I turned the camera off and on, it was OFF again.

But the other issues I had was in Japan.

Leica M 240 disables the GPS unit in China, it seems. After the GPS has been turned ON it doesn't register GPS position, and after two minutes this screen come up, and the GPS is automatically set to OFF in the menu.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

What are other users' experiences? Does it work?

Yes, works just fine.

Sometimes (however not reliably so) it locks onto the GPS signal even indoors. Outdoors, never takes more than one or two minutes.

Leica M (Typ 240) disables the GPS unit in China, it seems.

Yes, it does. So it does in Cuba. Using GPS is illegal for civilians in these countries.

Hello Thorsten,

Your GPS should work in China but a cold start can take about 10 minutes even with an unobstructed view of the sky but usually 5 minutes or less, and even a finger over the top of the grip or having the camera tilled away from the sky will increase lock time.

It is not illegal to use GPS in China. There is a law in China about using any GPS device for survey and mapping, you can be arrested and fined.

Hope tis helps

MTWIZARD

Edited by MTWIZARD

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got the handgrip from a dealer in Perth, Australia last week and find that the GPS hangs in a location for several days, not matter if the camera is switched off and on, or the battery has been taken out.

What are other users experience. Does it work?

I've looked at this in more detail and can reproduce what Thorsten has experienced. It would appear that the last GPS fix is stored in non volatile memory, so even if you switch the camera off (which doesn't actually power it down completely) or remove the battery the fix data is retained. When you replace the battery and/or switch the camera on again and if GPS is enabled photos will be tagged with the old fix data unless the unit has relocked and updated the data.

Even if you disable GPS in the menu, take a picture (it's untagged), re-enable GPS but don't give access to satellite signals and then take another picture that picture will be tagged with the old data! Again this is true if you switch the camera off or remove the battery.

This behaviour explains what Thorsten was experiencing. I think I've got the explanation right but as always check for yourselves to be sure.

Bob.

Edited by gravastar

The odd thing is that GPS is not disabled on Sony cameras in China. My wife was in China with a friend earlier this year with her V-Lux 20. The GPS on the V-Lux was disabled (as expected) but the GPS in her friend’s Sony HX50, bought in Hong Kong, worked fine (which was a surprise).

Wilson