Video settings

mirekti

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I remeber I read it somewhere here, but cannot find the thread about it.

Could someone post a common setting for video recording like contrast, sharpness...

...I believe shutter speed was to be set at 1/60.

BTW has anyone tried out Olympus SEMA-1 on it? Is the mic good? Would you opt for some other mic in combination with the SEMA-1 mic jack/adapter?

Thanks.

Could someone post a common setting for video recording like contrast, sharpness... I believe shutter speed was to be set at 1/60.

I would advise you leave contrast, color and sharpness set to standard, or turn them off all together. Better to grade the footage in editing. Additionally, though you can shoot video in auto ISO mode, if you want to maintain consistent exposure throughout a shot (without noticeable shifts), it's best to shoot using all manual settings. Shutter speed dial always set to 30, aperture and ISO wherever you want and need it.

• Like 1

Could someone post a common setting for video recording like contrast, sharpness...

...I believe shutter speed was to be set at 1/60.

BTW has anyone tried out Olympus SEMA-1 on it? Is the mic good? Would you opt for some other mic in combination with the SEMA-1 mic jack/adapter?

Thanks.

I default to shutter at 1/45th. This gets translated to 1/50 when video is engaged (silly, but that's how it works!). What I've found useful is if you notice a flickering induced by artificial light sources, DROPPING the shutter speed to 1/30th can help reduce this problem. Otherwise it's ISO 800 for interiors with at aperture at f4 whereever possible. I find the 35 cron asph works really well for interviews. You get a nice frame on the subject + a good sense of context.

re SEMA-1, I've been using this and had no problem. For interviews (the only need I've had for paid video work) I've found a long cable + the SEMA-1 mic has worked well in settings with low ambient noise. In noisy environments life can get very complicated - but that's what I hate about doing video. Framing the shot is the easy bit (I'm a photographer!). Recording sound and getting the lighting right are the hard things. I now understand why video usually needs a crew...

The good news is that in a well lit, quiet space the M240 produces excellent footage for my purposes - and I don't have rolling shutter problems because I've only needed to do on-tripod "talking head" work.

Edited by chris_tribble
  • Like 1

I have found that the built in mic seems to pick up some noise from the camera (maybe hands moving on the body) unless you increase wind suppression to at least medium. I have not tried the external Mic as I want to take video using the EVF.

Wilson