Live view with visoflex (macro focus peaking)

Dikaiosune01

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I eventually gave up trying to find a oufro. So I picked up a visoflex for macro shots. It works pretty well, but I find it difficult to get focus spot on. With the visoflex:

- I can't get focus peaking

- I can't get the 5x or 10x magnification.

Please note: these functions work fine as prescribed when the lens is mounted normally.

I used the same setup with a visoflex 3 housing with a blacked out matte screen.

Focus peaking works just as it normally does for me, I have set lens detection to 'OFF'

I took this using the 35mm Summicron-M ASPH and Visoflex 3 and M Typ 240

My eye, staring at the iris of the summicron lens. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Lavender Macro, | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Focus peaking works just as it normally does for me, I have set lens detection to 'OFF'

Can you please tell us some more about this:

Since the Visoflex-body does not fully cover the camera's bayonet ridge, it might be that Live View doesn't work, for it only works if the LED-patch on the camera's bayonet is fully covered:http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/281440-leica-m-compatibility-ltm-adapter.html#post2382780

Now you say, it works when you switch off lens detection.

Does that mean: Live View is disenabled with lens detection switched on, but works with lens detection switched off?

If so this might be a new information, perhaps even caused by a change in firmware.

When I first heard, that Live View needed the LED for lens detection fully covered, I thought they my change it by enabling LiveView with lens detection switched off. So either my idea was already realized, but nobody noticed it, or there really has been a recent change.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I had no trouble doing the 5x or 10x with the Visoflex 3 attached. I don't know if it is because of the lens detection being on or off... I just turned it off to make sure it wouldn't think there was some sort of lens or what ever...

It might be that your visoflex is different, maybe a visoflex 2? I used a 3 with mirror lockup. :)

• Like 2

Thank you jip. After you suggested that it works with your visoflex 3, I re-visited it with my visoflex 2. I can now confirm that it does work.

However it is a bit of a pickle to get right.

When using liveview, the grip in your hand is quite unstable. It makes it really difficult to get a comfortable grip and hit that focus peaking button. And I choose the word "hit" very carefully.

The mistake i was making was, I was trying to find the focus peaking button and try to give it a firm press. Apparently this 'firm-press' was too long for the current firmware and the camera interprets this as part of its EV compensation function. Also, lens detection isn't a variable to activating the magnification feature.

The secret to get focus magnification to work correctly, is to 'hit' or 'tap' the focus peaking button. This will bring up the magnification feature. If the 'hit' isn't short enough, nothing will happen unless you are also using the thumb wheel.

as a tangent; What is interesting is that that 35mm and 28mm lenses do not seem to fit the visoflex housing. It might have something to do with the protruding rear lens element. But I haven't had the guts to measure or try it out in detail.

You can fit 28/35 lenses but you have to mirror lock the mirror first in the upward position. (You need this anyway for the live view to work) (this was on the visoflex 3)

And yes you need to tap not press. :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

An alternative to using a visoflex with the mirror locked up is to use a 41mm spacer. I had one made last year but Novoflex now supply a LEM/VIS adapter. This allows you to use Visoflex lenses on the M240. It is also a good way to mount the BellowsII as it obviates the risk of the bellows getting stuck on the camera lens mount. http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m-type-240/291001-warning-m-typ-240-bellows-ii.html#post2445002

A second alternative is to use a Novoflex Bellows. I have found that in combination with the 135 Tele-Elmar lens head shown here, 10X Zoom and focus peaking, this gives super accurate focusing. Unlike many bellows, which focus with a rack the Novoflex has a different system. You unlock a slider on the bottom and do a rough focus by sliding the front of the bellows backwards and forwards. You then lock the bellows front on the slide and there is then on the front of the slide, a micrometer adjustment knob to provide ultra fine adjustment.

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Here's an OUFRO on eBay. Price at the mo seems ok. http://bit.ly/1bAgwcz

I would not regard the price as ok. I bought an OUFRO a year ago from a photographic dealer for £29. The present prices seem crazy for a fairly simple device.

Has there been any more feedback on the OUFRO clone made by JN Finance? The samples from the first batch were reported as being a very tight fit and it was hoped that tolerances would be improved.

• Like 1

You can fit 28/35 lenses but you have to mirror lock the mirror first in the upward position. (You need this anyway for the live view to work) (this was on the visoflex 3)

update: The 28/35 lenses will not fit with the visoflex 2. It won't fit. I think the space in the visoflex 2 is a lot tighter than the visoflex 3. The edge of the rear lens element housing bumps and rubs with the internals of the viseoflex 2.

I would not regard the price as ok. I bought an OUFRO a year ago from a photographic dealer for £29. The present prices seem crazy for a fairly simple device.

And the price ended at over 250 pounds.

My conclusion:

I'm pretty happy with the visoflex 2.

The BEOON is a small copy stand for photographing small flat things in scales from 1:3 to 1:1 (from picture post cards to stamps).

This is a fairly comprehensive description of the BEOON: Sculpting with Light: The other day I bought a Leica BEOON..

Using Google, you'll find several more pages describing (and praising) the device.