M8raw2dng - Tool to convert Leica M8 RAW files to DNG

bla

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Which longest times can be used in "JPG Fine + RAW"-mode, until one will notice on the display an image number as "L1039237.BIA", but no image will be seen?

How do you open a ".BIA" file?
Last night this error occurred at times longer than 1/12 second.
Today when trying to repeat this error, it startet at times of 1/4 second or longer.
In both cases the battery was about half full.

The ".BIA" file is a measurement made by the camera and used for noise reduction. If you want to see it, rename it as a ".RAW" file so that M8RAW2DNG processes it into a DNG. It is a "Dark Frame" exposure that the camera uses for a non-uniformity correction. For most purposes, it just slows down write time for raw mode as M8RAW2DNG has a separate "-SD" switch for non-uniformity correction. Arvid did an incredible job with NUC when you use "-SD" to generate the correction and '-s' to apply it.

http://m8raw2dng.de/help/sensor/

• 10 months later...

Dear all,

I'm just start to use it and try to follow this topic guide in the website, I'm used 3-4 days for learn and try to apply on my M8 files,

Now My M8 had the problem about the 2 vertical lines in every ISO at 2661,196 2661,2623 and more one lines is 3464,667 3464,2620.

and now after I follow the "Tool + Droplet installation" and completed droplet RAW+JPD action and show new DNG file already.

and now I want to fix the thing in this list :
1. need output files in 14 bit
2. fix the 2 lines vertical
3. darkfield correction.

Please you show me the command I must to type in line set Params?

Thank you so much

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 49 Minuten schrieb tjh1023:

I just purchased an M8 I would love this tool but the website is suspended any help would be appreciated.

Tim

m8raw2dng-droplet.app.zip
M8raw2dng – Tool to convert Leica M8 RAW files to DNG » Sensor.pdf
Hope this helps a little bit.
But handling wasn't easy, even when Arvid, as the programmer, still supported it.
I'm glad that I got rid of the annoying button dance.

38 minutes ago, mnutzer said:

M8raw2dng – Tool to convert Leica M8 RAW files to DNG » Sensor.pdf
Hope this helps a little bit.
But handling wasn't easy, even when Arvid, as the programmer, still supported it.
I'm glad that I got rid of the annoying button dance.

m8raw2dng-droplet.app.zip 55.28 kB · 1 download

Thank You mnutzer.

• 2 weeks later...

I never came to grips with getting the blasted thing to work. I guess I am a computer idiot. To make it work for dunderheads like me it needed a proper installer and  GUI "front end" to be built so it was more plug and play - install the software in a directory and then just run it by clicking when you need it like any other program short cut on a computer desktop. To make matters worse the pushing of a special sequence of buttons on the M8 necessary after  the camera was turned off then on again was tiresome and galling. This could not be helped unless someone managed to hack the firmware but no one ever did. I kept hoping!

So I forgot about it. A great idea but compromised by having it in a package that was ungainly and for some like me totally unusable. What is a "droplet" anyway? A small drip perhaps! And how on earth do you get the proper syntax for the command line to run the program when installing it. I must have tried 20 times with different combinations of words and letters. 

Edited by peterm1_Leica

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Finally got this figured out, tough to get to and had to go back to my DOS brain to figure it out. This is the site I got from another photo site.

https://m8raw2dng.de/

It didn't give as far as I could determine options for the parameters, except color (-b). The droplet, batch file, needs exact locations, being command line interface. I put the app in its own folder under C:\Windows\Program files and set the droplet accordingly. My one problem was I called the folder m8RAWtoDNG and kept putting the paths as C:_______\m8RAW2DNG\m8RAW4DNG which of course wouln't work, once that was corrected everything worked fine. I haven't upped the ISO past 640, but the results at 640 were great, much better than standard 640 DNG. The only frustration I am having is the when the camera goes to sleep you lose the JPeg fine & Raw setting, I set the sleep time to 10 minutes which should help.

On 7/16/2020 at 3:08 PM, tommonego@gmail.com said:

The only frustration I am having is the when the camera goes to sleep you lose the JPeg fine & Raw setting, I set the sleep time to 10 minutes which should help.

Beware your battery power dropping off a cliff.  The M8 is renowned for shutting down when the battery's less than about half full.  As a matter of course I change the battery as soon as it's used the first of the three battery bars in the round window and I don't have the problem any more.  

I started doing this many years ago after I was about to pull the trigger on my Pulitzer Prize winning certainty only to find that my M8 had frozen and would only revive after being fed a freshly-charged battery.

Pete.

vor 15 Stunden schrieb farnz:

Beware your battery power dropping off a cliff.  The M8 is renowned for shutting down when the battery's less than about half full.  As a matter of course I change the battery as soon as it's used the first of the three battery bars in the round window and I don't have the problem any more.  

I started doing this many years ago after I was about to pull the trigger on my Pulitzer Prize winning certainty only to find that my M8 had frozen and would only revive after being fed a freshly-charged battery.

Pete.

Pete,

Yep have noticed that, I have one battery that is especially bad, came with the camera so probably an original. The original Leica battery and the one I bought to augment the bad one do very well time wise. But I always carry an extra.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/15/2020 at 1:25 AM, Winstonsmith said:

Does anyone actually have the whole zip for download?  The link above only contains the droplet...but I need the actual *app*.  

Any links appreciated.

Best regards,

Mark

Hi all,

same for me. Does anybody have a link to the app and maybe also a tutorial how to set it up? I just got an M8 and very keen to try this out.

Many thanks in advance,

Bjorn.

Is it even worth investing the time to get this app to work again? When the app came out many years agi I played with it and compared original raw images to this raw conversion with the app. Must admit that I did not see any advantages just disadvantages with the settings and the extra conversion step.

Is there someone here who thinks this is an advantage in image quality?

As far as I know there was never an app for the m8raw2dng conversion but only a 'droplet' with command lines for the terminal.
Take the DNGs from the m8 as they are and if better ones are needed take a newer digital Leica M.

vor einer Stunde schrieb mnutzer:

As far as I know there was never an app for the m8raw2dng conversion but only a 'droplet' with command lines for the terminal.
Take the DNGs from the m8 as they are and if better ones are needed take a newer digital Leica M.

It's an executable File. You can call every executable an app now without being tortured. Sounds better.

Edited by tom.w.bn

Hi @tom.w.bn & @mnutzer,

and many thanks for your replies! Yeah, I also don't expect a huge increase in quality but my inner-geek just wanted to try it out. 😉 But without any instructions it's a bit tricky to get it working, unfortunately the pdf that was posted above didn't include many helpful details. Therefore it also wasn't clear to me whether the provided files were complete or something was missing. Pity the website is offline now but I guess also understandable given the age of the camera. I'm btw totally happy with the image quality of the M8 for my intended usage, which is basically to try out rangefinder cameras for the first time and shooting (mostly) black & white. I got hooked on to Leica with my Q and just wanted to try how I would like the "real" M experience and I have to say that I really like it so far!

In any case, many thanks again for your replies.

Cheers,

Bjorn.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb B_K_:

But without any instructions it's a bit tricky to get it working, unfortunately the pdf that was posted above didn't include many helpful details.

The website is available on archive.org. Found the help page with the paramters. use it as a command line tool and the first command in the examples section should do the job.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190819224647/http://m8raw2dng.de/help/tool-parameters/