35 Lux FLE on 240?

leicavkk

Here's an image I posted on my site a few days ago, using the M/35 Summilux ASPH FLE. Not sure how this will render on your monitor, but from my experience using the combo a lot, I think it's a fantastic lens on a fantastic camera. Click on the image and it will expand on your screen. On an iPad with retina display, it's pretty sharp, and the bokeh, to my eye, is very pleasant. Please note this was very much a mixed light situation.

Mulling His Options | Tulip Frenzy

Edited by johnbuckley

I'm extremely happy with this combination. If anything, I feel the M brings out the best in the sparkling clarity of this superb lens to a even greater degree than the M9 was able to.

Here's a birthday party photo I took a couple of weeks ago. It's not a great photo by any means, but straight out of the camera, taken in very poor mixed light and at 800iso, even before PP it shows I think some of the potential of this lens and camera combination.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Peter H
  • Like 2

... but i don't like much its OoF rendition.

Refreshing candor. Ownership of expensive Leica products generally precludes critique; that's usually left to the non-buyers.

I didn't replace my Summicron with one, only in part due to the sometimes odd OoF rendering.

I like the "Dangling Man" color photo by John Buckley, but the weird outlines of the people on the ferris wheel are disturbing to me. I don't know if this is part of the same issue, or more of a screen effect.

Jeff

It tends to get a wrap over it's knuckles for it's rendering, though personally, it was actually the reason I was drawn to it. I think it's wonderful. Although I do admit that it's, at times, inappropriate to the image.

I love shooting portraits under a big tree with this lens. The way it renders oof foliage is stunning. Also, it still continues to amaze me how sharp it is even two years after owning it. It's colour and contrast is close to perfect.

Edited by Paul J

Sharpness is excellent, the quality of the oof-rendering depends on the eyes that see... (35 ASPH FLE on M9).

• Like 3

I just said that i don't get double lines but i did not pretend that the bokeh is smooth with this lens if memory serves, or if i did it i were wrong. I prefer the 35/2 asph at f/2 from this standpoint, which is not always true at slower apertures BTW. Now what to do when you need f/1.4 actually? The FLE is the sharpest 35 i've ever used there and i recommend it to photogs shooting much in low light w/o reservation.

• Like 2

I really like the 35/1,4 FLE on M. Imo it has what some call 3D rendering, and the bokeh is nice.

I belive all these were shot with this lens (but are scaled down to 1280): 201310_Street_Fashion_Roma - a set on Flickr

i'm brand new to RF and Leica. just picked up an M last Sunday and waiting for a 35 Lux FLE to arrive this next Monday. this is a very timely thread for me.

thanks to all for the preview of what the possibilities might be.

i'm brand new to RF and Leica. just picked up an M last Sunday and waiting for a 35 Lux FLE to arrive this next Monday. this is a very timely thread for me.

Don't forget to check the installed firmware version, and upgrade if not on the latest level.

It fixes a few items, AUTOWB being the most significant.

I too just bought a 35mm FLE and must say is an excellent compliment to my 50mm FLE on M240.

Don't forget to check the installed firmware version, and upgrade if not on the latest level.

It fixes a few items, AUTOWB being the most significant.

I too just bought a 35mm FLE and must say is an excellent compliment to my 50mm FLE on M240.

thanks for the advice. I keep meaning to call the store back about whether the firmware version is current, but it's probably better just to check myself and be sure about it.

Mike

Don't worry about it as it is a very fine lens and performs well on the M240.

Edited by algrove
  • Like 2