New M Monocrome model

r7photo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, there is no need to talk about a new MM is there?

Of course there's no need. This is just a forum, a place to sometimes kick around some light-hearted ideas. Not life or death.

I don't need an MM. And I really don't care if a new MM comes about. Moreover, I have zero vested interest in whatever camera choice someone else makes. To each his/her own. I care about pics and prints; the rest is just conversation, and toward that end I can only offer opinions based on my thoughts and experiences. My intent has nothing to do with others' choices.

For an apparently smart guy, considering some of your other posts, I find your comments here (and in the other related thread) pretentious and condescending. Lighten up; neither your thoughts, nor mine, are gospel. Folks should be able to chat about some hypothetical future camera features without some silly declaration that they need to 'face reality'. My reality is just fine, thank you.

Jeff

• Like 1

Yes I know not announced and yes I believe Leica secretly working on next model

I am shooting with new M240. but wonder what's next in mono model

Next model will have updated electronics for sure

Any thoughts. New M doing me fine but curious

Ron

IMO, a new MM is probably low priority, and perhaps may not be replaced for years, (if ever, depending on whether current MM users would pony up another $8 to $10K for a new MM).

It was a good infusion of cash when they needed it, using M9 component design and manufacture already paid for. The extra $1,000 for the MM probably paid for the B&W sensor ... so all they did was extend the life cycle of the M9, and enjoyed the attendant profitability.

In the face of growing competition from ever smaller and more potent cameras, which is sure to intensify rather than abate ... and the slow attrition of dye-in-the-wool rangefinder users ... I believe the focus will have to be on the Leica M camera and more innovative ways to refresh the whole Rangefinder experience. Plus, the S system is probably due for a serious up tick.

The problem I see is that many who are dedicated to the B&W rangefinder aesthetic, and selected the MM to do that, tend to shoot in a particular manner that the MM already accommodates. Personally, I haven't had any SD card issues, don't use the LCD other than to confirm capture/framing on occasion, don't shoot at motor drive speeds nor did when I used a film M, etc. So, quite frankly, I'd be hard pressed to suggest improvements that I'd pay that kind of money to acquire.

However, if a new MM were the size of a Leica CL, retained FF, had a VF equal to or better than the M240, and boosted the meg count to at least 36 or 40 meg, and kept the price more in line @ say $6,000 (as if THAT would ever happen) ... I may be tempted. Even then, it would depend on how much value the MM retained at the time. For me, the current MM simply does the job, and it is hard to get past that.

- Marc

• Like 2

I think there is indeed no need. The Monochrome is a very niche product. As one poster said, the market is very near to saturation and I doubt many owners would consider upgrading just for features.

Besides Leica already said they were considering making it a series, albeit with a long renewal cycle.

It will be years before such a thing might happen.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 1

I think there is indeed no need. The Monochrome is a very niche product. As one poster said, the market is very near to saturation and I doubt many owners would consider upgrading just for features.

Besides Leica already said they were considering making it a series, albeit with a long renewal cycle.

i agree totally, and also Monochrome has already incredible performances on resolution and noise...so why upgrade?for half stop improvement over noise?

....... Monochrome has already incredible performances on resolution and noise...so why upgrade?for half stop improvement over noise?

No need to upgrade your camera maybe, but that shouldn't prevent a slightly better version being available to new buyers should it?

The improvement in the rangefinder alone as implemented in the M would be very attractive to me.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It would have been reasonable to expect a silver chrome version of the Monochrome before Christmas.

Much more reasonable than the discounts mentioned on this forum, from Leica's point of view. (Starting silver chrome versions of existing lenses, like the three wide-angle Elmars and the reintroduction of the silver 2/28 and 2/90, is being derided as "cosmetics").

Obviously they're busy with bigger thoughts. That's why I'm optimistically looking forward to the coming innovations.

Yes, the monochrome is a niche of a niche, so maybe the MM is the end of the line. But I am not sure that dead-ending the MM is what Leica will do. If it is correct that the market is saturated, then why produce any more? The success of the MM and Leica's experience with the M (240) could spawn new models in an effort to gain new sales. Why not a Monochrome version of the M(240) so as to provide a higher megapixel sensor and allow an EVF and use of R lenses?

Yes, people will complain about CMOS vs CCD and there will be a raging debate here about whether there are improvements or not. But then there will be sales of the MM (240) and debate about what comes after that.

Fact is that all Leica M cameras are niche products but that has not stopped new models from appearing and succeeding in the market.

Yes, the monochrome is a niche of a niche, so maybe the MM is the end of the line. But I am not sure that dead-ending the MM is what Leica will do. If it is correct that the market is saturated, then why produce any more? The success of the MM and Leica's experience with the M (240) could spawn new models in an effort to gain new sales. Why not a Monochrome version of the M(240) so as to provide a higher megapixel sensor and allow an EVF and use of R lenses?

Yes, people will complain about CMOS vs CCD and there will be a raging debate here about whether there are improvements or not. But then there will be sales of the MM (240) and debate about what comes after that.

Fact is that all Leica M cameras are niche products but that has not stopped new models from appearing and succeeding in the market.

As I mentioned, Leica has said that there may well be a successor, but not soon.

Quote from Stefan Daniel at last year's Photokina...

Question: Will the M-Monochrom remain part of the M-System for the foreseeable future?

Stefan Daniel: We want to keep the series of that type. The Monochrom is very successful and we can imagine that there might be a Monochrom variant of the new model. The camera is addictive.

Jeff

• Like 2

My dealer laugh at me but I insisted he start a list, yes I am #1

New model has to happen

My 2cents it will be biased on 240 sensor and is being worked on as we speak

I am loving m240, just got back from paid shoot clients loved the pics

Ron

Haha. Well at some point in time every visionary has been the only one on a list for something new. :)

One has to wonder how many wish lists dealers have to keep. I'm on a list for a new M with a CCD sensor in a M3 body, and my dealer laughed as well. :)