New M Monocrome model

r7photo

I think the most interesting thing will be pricing. The assumption is that this will be an expensive camera, which is a good assumption. Having said that, we now have several cameras from different manufacturers that at least on paper are competitive with the M line. Although many longtime Leica forum members are likely to stick with Leica, its marketing strategy over the last several years (opening stores, more new cameras) suggests that Leica hopes to bring a new generation into the Leica fold. That is going to be a harder sell with cameras like the Sony 7 and 7R and the Olympus OM-D 1e, particularly when that generation doesn't have an existing investment in Leica lenses.

To Suneohair

Not fair question for me as never owned one

But lust after the images

Simply amazing results

New mono would have to have 240 build and guts

Now as for the sensor that the million dollar question

CMOS or a more Mp ccd

Likely be CMOS sensor based on 240

Yes love my current M

Jeff S will state that it has better weather sealing, shutter release and the framelines, at 2m, are better for him.

:D

And longer battery life, better processor and buffer, no need for discreet mode (and associated bugs), no SD card issues, better RF and focusing, and better illuminated frame lines.

And no, it won't make one a better photographer.

But it will still have one bug that the M doesn't have: it won't shoot color.:)

(I'll test it anyway.)

Jeff

• Like 4

You know, maybe they have more interesting options when it comes to the sensor of the next Monochrome, simply because the audience won't want or need things like live-view / video. It would be killer if Leica worked with Truesense to improve the KAF sensor already in the Monochrome with higher resolution and improved electronics that bring it up to current.

I shoot mostly for B&W. I played with an MM for about a week (admittedly not long enough to fully explore it), but I have to say, for my eye, the slight improvement in tonality and sharpness over the M9 was completely outweighed by the need to have exactly the right color filter.

The ability to do color filtering in post-processing is a HUGE advantage for my workflow, and for the kind of shooting I was doing with it. In a studio, or in a planned shooting situation, one can control the subject and know in advance which filters to have to produce the desired effect. But for street photography - where the Leica shines - you have no such control and can rarely predict what the color tonality of the scene will be in advance. Being able to filter in post is a godsend for this.

Yes, you can use some rules of thumb and maybe get lucky (e.g., yellow filter for skin tones, red to darken the sky, etc), even when you don't know exactly what the subject will be, but that's not nearly as flexible as post-processing.

So unless the new MM offers some kind of spectacularly better performance in some other respect - well beyond the improvement of the current MM over the M9, I'll be sticking with my '240.

• Like 1

You know it will have a quieter shutter, it will have Live View, it will have a 'better' viewfinder, and it will have a few more pixels (but made from Satan's pixel store).

So, what is the game? Wait and still get into an argument over the merits of a bloated camera and a CMOS sensor, or just get on with it now? Pictures don't wait, they evaporate every second you spend dithering. Be a hero this week, or wait and hope the new version of the Monochrom makes you a hero in two or three years time? That is the nub of the argument. You either have something to say now through your photography by using a Monochrom, but if it can wait a year or so was it really worth saying at all?

Steve

• Like 1

Who's waiting for pics? The M (or even my old M8.2) work just fine as part of a disciplined workflow. The camera isn't the magic bullet...not even the current MM.

The notion that folks who don't jump on the current MM aren't active and serious about their b/w work is baloney.

Jeff

• Like 1

I just don't think the market is big enough for another b&w camera. Whatever small market there was has been sufficiently saturated by the Monochrom. I doubt many will be in a hurry to sell their Monochrom for another one.

Besides I expect the jump to the next M to be so significant to make it silly to want a b&w version of the current M240 when the next M will have to be announced within a year if Leica plans on answering current changes in the market.

It just seems smarter for Leica to skip a M for their next Monochrom.

Unless the next Monochrom would be truly mindblowing (which I doubt based on the M240) I won't upgrade my Monochrom any time soon. My M240 however will be sold as soon as the next M will be announced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The notion that folks who don't jump on the current MM aren't active and serious about their b/w work is baloney.

So, there is no need to talk about a new MM is there?

I'm not talking baloney, I'm talking baloney down, not up. Pointing out that the OP, and yourself, are happy to talk up the possibilities of a new MM when it is so far away as if will make a fundamental difference. What is the purpose of that, tempting people to wait for a quieter shutter rather than do what they need to do now? It's about pissing or getting off the pot, not stopping people doing stuff by standing in their way with smoke and mirrors arguments about future possibilities rather than confronting realities now.

Steve