Black or Silver

lethbrp

You don't look at a camera; you look through it...

Oh go on then... I do look at my M. I love setting it down on the side after using it (usually removing the SD cards after a days shooting). I usually position it at an angle and I often find myself giving it lustful glances while I'm watching TV. I've done this with new stuff; shoes, gadgets etc, since as long as I can remember. Once the shoes become worn and dirty I don't feel the need to look at them in the same way. But as an M becomes worn and dirty it becomes even more difficult to not look at it.

Oh, that's just me then ;-)

I've always had silver chrome Ms: M6 for more than 19 years; temporarily an M4 and M3; 2007 - early 2013 an M8. They keep their finish for a very long time. My M6 still looks fresh and handsome with its grey Leica dot :) The only black interlude was a chrome .85 pre-TTL M6 that I sold after a short while.

The M (type 240) is basically the first black Leica RF that I'll keep. It started to wear after 7,5k actuations and I knew it would happen, but I've chosen for unobtrusiveness versus obvious beauty. The black paint wears pretty nicely though, and once the camera's out of date I can still keep it as a back-up.

So for unobtrusiveness and modest elegance I'd go vor black; for handsomeness and longterm looks: chrome.

Just my 0,02$, beste regards,

Norbert

Guest Essemmlee

I've been told, by informed camera sales staff (so they tell me), that the 'Retro' look is in. Apparently, the silver version is 'Retro" and the black is modern. Make what you will of that.:confused:

I have a black M240 with a red dot.

It matches my black and red motorcycle.

And my black car with red calipers.

And my black Les Paul.

And my black Billingham Hadley's.

And my black straps.

Silver would just break the cycle! No can do.