Leica M Street Movie in Shanghai

Oh yeah. i can hear that noise people have been complaining about. That beep beep beep sound. Oh hang on, it's just your rave soundtrack :)

I'm not sure what makes me feel more nauseous, the rolling shutter or your choice in music! :eek::D:p

Paul, I am not for sure about your reply to Nick's post. Are you two old trusted friends and thus your harsh comments are just a bit of rough jesting between buddies?

I think people are mistaking what they think is rolling shutter for poor technique or no stabilisation i.e. a monopod or tripod or steadicam.

Handholding the M whilst walking is a no no.

I love the intent but the video footage looks like you were the filmakers of the Blair witch project (this could be 'considered' to be a compliment - or a backhander)...

I think people are mistaking what they think is rolling shutter for poor technique or no stabilisation i.e. a monopod or tripod or steadicam.

Handholding the M whilst walking is a no no.

I love the intent but the video footage looks like you were the filmakers of the Blair witch project (this could be 'considered' to be a compliment - or a backhander)...

Can't agree I'm afraid. It's a matter of taste - like street hip shooting versus formal landscapes. There are no rules. As a former movie maker I like the feel of street movies - and for this the M works perfectly. Easy to put on a tripod too but for some of us that's too staid and boring

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Did I not use enough smileys? I used the big smiley and everything! :D

The effect is definitely rolling shutter or Jello effect. Its when verticals lines become diagonals with movement.

The M has a very pronounced Rolling shutter and t's not a fault of the photographer and in this case and the film is still interesting. Sorry, I realise I should of said that. Perhaps my brain to mouth filter wasn't working properly at the time, sorry!

It's just a shame as it does make the viewer feel jittery. I still don't like your choice of music :D (note big smiley)

Loved the photos!

Really great...

Video? Not at all... I could not pass the taxi ride. At least that part needs some serious editing. Footage needs to be cut. A lot! High shutter speeds while doing video increase the "strobe effect" of any movement in the frame (whether we like it or not, it's a simple fact that any shutter speed over 1/30-1/60 will cause this). Roiling shutter is evident in every shot. "breathing f-stop"? That is OK for amateur "home movie" but if you aspire to make anything more than that, it's simply unacceptable. Great photographer is not a great videographer/editor by default...

Again, the piece needs some proper editing.

Photos, I love... A lot.

I totally disagree.

Yes the Leica M has rolling shutter, yes it is pretty bad. But without ANY stabilzation, i.e monpod, tripod, steadicam etc. handholding will always elicit footage like this.

Rolling shutter rears its head with pans and fast moving objects. What I am talking about her is the technique to keep the camera itself stable enough where a viewer will not get sea sick watching it.

Nick, just caught your video, don't know how I missed it earlier. I have been to Shanghai many times times and, dude, you nailed it. Loved this video, loved your street technique, and loved what you captured. Keep bringing this type of art to us. I know it will only get better.

Thanks, so much, for this.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Thanks Huckles and Trojan

sisoje - sorry will just have to agree to disagree. I appreciate your point but I think this boils down to artistic preference. I have worked as a professional film maker and video maker years ago. I would have done nearly everything on a tripod then, and any film I made would look very different to this. But for me I actually enjoy a street handheld rough style in a certain way. Think of the opening credit sequence of the Sopranos - that would not have been made the way it was when I was making video (shows my age). All of this is really a question of taste though, and I totally respect your different view. It's just that if I had a tripod with me, more time, a different camera etc., I would not have made my movie differently. This is exactly the kind of street movie I wanted to capture Shanghai - but of course I wouldn't presume this is to other people's tastes.

Nick

Hi Nick,

I have never mentioned the "t" word... Your "hand holding" technique is not there, sorry :D. It just looks as shaky camera, nothing more. Again, nowadays with video expanding in almost every sphere (from phones to DSLRs), everybody consider them selfs "cameramen". Proper handholding requires a lot of practice, skill including a "steady" hand/shoulder and proper breathing. Sorry, but I did not see that in your camera work. You can call it "artistic", it is your right. Your camera operating simply empasises few shortcomings of M240 video capabilities.

Again, I am not sure what was your intent with this video? Personal memory? Professional promotion? Blog illustration? Every category carries it's values and requirements.

You mentioned that you were in "film bussines" before. You never mentioned in what capacity? I don't know who edited this video, but if you can take it to somebody who is doing that (editing) "today". Properly cut, this can be far more professionally looking, if not more interesting.

Bottom line, your photography work is miles ahead of this video. My remarks still stand, and they have nothing to do with your "artistic vision". Please take them as a suggestion to better your craft...:)

As I say mate, we have to disagree

I was a film, and an offline video editor. For broadcast and sell through. Employed and freelance. Working on various formats. I do know what I'm doing, you just don't like it which is different. Given you never got past the opening part of the movie I shan't lose too my sleep over it.

Thanks for saying some kind words about the photos though

Nick

• Like 1

As I say mate, we have to disagree

I was a film, and an offline video editor. For broadcast and sell through. Employed and freelance. Working on various formats. I do know what I'm doing, you just don't like it which is different. Given you never got past the opening part of the movie I shan't lose too my sleep over it.

Thanks for saying some kind words about the photos though

Nick

regarding video, did you carry a tripod /or monopod with you, right?

Hi Nick.

I watched all three of the videos that you have on Vimeo and thoroughly enjoyed them.

I expect to receive an M in the next couple of weeks, and these were also very helpful in giving me a sense of the camera's video capabilities.

Am I correct that you used the in-camera microphone rather than something external?

Could you share what lenses you used?

Thanks again.