First M only event

Dannybuoy

A bit harsh fella. We all have personal styles of expression. We're all from different countries too which has a baring on how we communicate.

It's the diversionary tactics that bring out the worst in me. Jaap knows my writing style well enough by now, as I know his.

100 x BLACK BALLPOINT PENS - BULK CLEARANCE JOB LOT | eBay

10pence a pen

Aurora Diamante Fountain Pen – $1.47 million With gold nib, only one Diamante pen is created each year by the manufacturer. | luutlist

$1.47 Million for one pen.

Which one would you reasonably expect to work? Which one would you understand if maybe 20 out of the bargain pack of 100 didn't work? :rolleyes:

lol

But in this case Jaap was actually agreeing with you! He was saying that even a camera half the cost at $3500 should operate reliably too, and that $7000 SHOULD, in a real world, have no baring on wether it works or not.

I also, here, often misread things and think people are saying something annoying when it actually turns out they are supporting me. The joys of being busy and reading things in a hurry. :)

• Like 3

ANY camera can fail and as Murphy's law (kind of) states 'what ever you have no back-up for will fail at the worst possible time'.

If you are been paid and you have to produce results then two cameras is the minimum. If I may suggest, hire a second body, or get a secondhand M9 or M8 as backups. I found an M8 on theBay for €1,200. That could be the cheapiest €1,200 you ever spent.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am just in awe of the power of the Jaapisms. I mean even when people expect the Jaapism, are aware of how they work, and even point them out to other forum users, the Jaapisms still retain their power of diversion and obfuscation.

Even the one in this thread did its work flawlessly.

One has to respect and even enjoy such genious wizardry. :D

Thank you, Jaapv!

• Like 4

I am just in awe of the power of the Jaapisms. I mean even when people expect the Jaapism, are aware of how they work, and even point them out to other forum users, the Jaapisms still retain their power of diversion and obfuscation.

Even the one in this thread did its work flawlessly.

One has to respect and even enjoy such genious wizardry. :D

Thank you, Jaapv!

As was often scribed into the tablets of the Roman Leica User Forum*...

Merda taurorum animas conturbit

*Citation :p

• Like 1

Guest Essemmlee
Perhaps you should read the VERY MANY THREADS about lockups, lug nut replacement, initial color output problems on the M240. .

No need to shout, I'm neither deaf nor stupid.

I've read the many negative posts. I'm not a collector; I'm a photographer, and my cameras are well used. Your suggestions are rather patronising and I find them totally unnecessary in this forum.

You made your point and I've made mine. I'm going into my lounge now to sit and look at my cameras :D

Constantly. There is no day where I don't take photographs.

I'm not asking to be patronising, apologies if it comes across that way. Just that there is a big difference between taking 100 photos a day and 2000 a day while on assignment where there is less time and opportunity to baby the camera. It's the heavy use that my camera has had a problem with, the construction and electronics is delicate. That solid top plate is quite deceptive, IMO. The lenses are very well made.

When you need to replace the battery, open the bottom plate, remove the SD card, plug in and out the USB etc. I don't think these flimsy parts aren't made for this kind of use. My battery latch has broken and my usb port has fallen out just from being used. My rangefinder has needed adjusting twice and the sensor was replaced. I've never had either of these problems with other cameras which have had far more years of use and cost a fraction of the price. Then there is the electronic instability which is the nature of the design. When you need to work fast you don't have time for it. Lock ups in particular can take a few attempts of pulling the battery out and plugging back in. All the while, the Art Director and client is looking at you confused and wondering about your "funny old camera" (their words). Luckily, when it works, the pictures look so good.

But hey, at least we got movies, gps and live view, phew. :rolleyes:

For casual use I don't think you are likely to run into so many, if any problems.

Guest Essemmlee
I'm not asking to be patronising, apologies if it comes across that way.

No worries, but as an ex press photographer and having run my wedding photography business for many years I'm strangely familiar with what can, and does, go wrong, in the photographic world.

It's interesting that we only ever get to hear about the problems with the Leica M gear on here. I've owned an M8. M8.2, M9, Monochrom and a(n) M240. To date I have not had a single problem with any of them. No lock ups, no missing pixels, no SD card issues; nothing at all.

I read these posts with wonderment at all of the problems but no matter how I try I just can't get one;)

I did have a slight issue with the strap provided with the Monochrom but Leica sent a new one in days.

I believe there are very many more owners without problems than those with. However I accept the OP had a problem at the concert, which shouldn't have happened with any modern camera.

I did not mean to upset you by my language and "shouting". But you say only here on this forum is where you hear of Leica problems. Where else should one post issues with various products with a hope that Leica themselves might read of it and take the bull by the horns and try to resolve it on their own? Not on RFF or Fred Miranda.

We do not doubt that you use your camera(s) daily, but do you use your M240 with EVF on for many hours of shooting? Were you out this Summer using your M240 + EVF during the intense heat wave over most of mainland Europe? Do you have and use R lenses that require EVF?

This is where I have had repeated problems and want to get answers perhaps on how others might have solved their like problems. That is why owners post problems on this site in hopes of a solution to their specific problems from other members or from Leica themselves.

Other than a second body and turning EVF and camera off, there seems to be little solution until Leica handles it. I spent two days of my Summer holiday at Solms this last Summer in an effort to resolve this issue and I was told the problem did not exist and they had never heard of it. I flew over 5000 miles to hear this! After 13k images and many nice moments ruined due to this failure, do not tell me, Leica, that the problem does not exist! If they had had the courtesy of calling another department to hear if they had had similar experiences that would have given me hope that Leica is serious about customer complaints when addressed to the Customer Service Department. No help there.

I certainly want to believe and trust that there are many more owners who do not have this problem than those that do. Let me tell you that I am on my 4th M240 (sold the first 3) and also have 2 more in reserve which have not yet been used. Once I can get out (just had a serious operation preventing me from outings for the time being) to test #4 I will know within a day or two if it also experiences lockup. How many do you know who will keep buying the M240 in hopes that he/she will finally find an M240 that works better than the first three?

I want the M240 to work flawlessly for me, but to date I have not found that to be the case. If my sample of 6 all have overheating flaws then I doubt your comment that more people do not have problems than those that do have problems since with a sample of 6 cameras from one owner is 6 too many with over heating problems. Perhaps it comes down to how the ones not having problems use their camera versus the ones that constantly use EVF when out shooting and constantly experience the over heating problems when at times they do not have the luxury of turning it off or switching to another cooler body.

I am in my lounge now that I have again spouted off. Sorry it was your original post that got me going.

Ok, so I've processed my photos today. I'm really happy with how the M performed at 3200. If it hadn't have been for the lockups and other 'quirks' then I'd be 100% happy. I was suffering the pretty nasty onset of the flu (that I'm riding out since last night) and was probably a bit negative. Still irksome that there are issues but yet again, once I see the output properly I'm blown away.

Anyway, you can check out some photos (minus HRH) here

A Night Under The Stars Concert for The Passage, 5th Nov 2013 - a set on Flickr

Please be gentle, I was suffering pretty badly ;-) (and also these were the easy, low stress shots. I've not uploaded any of the sponsor/royalty photos as I've not checked for clearance on those)

Edited by Dannybuoy
  • Like 13

(See above) ;-)

Also just want to point out that with was an unpaid voluntary job. This makes little or no difference really.

Also I was getting the 'no lens attached' message with my Voigtlander and Konica lenses. They seem quite snug when clicking into place. Some I had to take off and re turn a couple of times before they would work.

Actually while I'm here. Anyone else have this bug when using LV. The zoom stays focus zoomed in, turning the lens or pressing the shutter release doesn't reset it back to normal view. I have to do the finger yoga and reach round to the front button to reset. It's another bloody annoying 'feature'. I wish Leica would firmware fix this stuff then I'd be happy.

• Like 1

(See above) ;-)

Also just want to point out that with was an unpaid voluntary job. This makes little or no difference really.

Also I was getting the 'no lens attached' message with my Voigtlander and Konica lenses. They seem quite snug when clicking into place. Some I had to take off and re turn a couple of times before they would work.

Actually while I'm here. Anyone else have this bug when using LV. The zoom stays focus zoomed in, turning the lens or pressing the shutter release doesn't reset it back to normal view. I have to do the finger yoga and reach round to the front button to reset. It's another bloody annoying 'feature'. I wish Leica would firmware fix this stuff then I'd be happy.

Sorry I just missed it since I posted 2 min later and had not refreshed the page!!

I haven't had the 'NO LENS' message yet, only when there was actually NO lens attached, I know the zoom thing, i've set it to manual, and not automatic zoom when you turn the focus ring...

I'm gonna have a look at your photos now!

I did not mean to upset you by my language and "shouting". But you say only here on this forum is where you hear of Leica problems. Where else should one post issues with various products with a hope that Leica themselves might read of it and take the bull by the horns and try to resolve it on their own? Not on RFF or Fred Miranda.

We do not doubt that you use your camera(s) daily, but do you use your M240 with EVF on for many hours of shooting? Were you out this Summer using your M240 + EVF during the intense heat wave over most of mainland Europe? Do you have and use R lenses that require EVF?

This is where I have had repeated problems and want to get answers perhaps on how others might have solved their like problems. That is why owners post problems on this site in hopes of a solution to their specific problems from other members or from Leica themselves.

Other than a second body and turning EVF and camera off, there seems to be little solution until Leica handles it. I spent two days of my Summer holiday at Solms this last Summer in an effort to resolve this issue and I was told the problem did not exist and they had never heard of it. I flew over 5000 miles to hear this! After 13k images and many nice moments ruined due to this failure, do not tell me, Leica, that the problem does not exist! If they had had the courtesy of calling another department to hear if they had had similar experiences that would have given me hope that Leica is serious about customer complaints when addressed to the Customer Service Department. No help there.

I certainly want to believe and trust that there are many more owners who do not have this problem than those that do. Let me tell you that I am on my 4th M240 (sold the first 3) and also have 2 more in reserve which have not yet been used. Once I can get out (just had a serious operation preventing me from outings for the time being) to test #4 I will know within a day or two if it also experiences lockup. How many do you know who will keep buying the M240 in hopes that he/she will finally find an M240 that works better than the first three?

I want the M240 to work flawlessly for me, but to date I have not found that to be the case. If my sample of 6 all have overheating flaws then I doubt your comment that more people do not have problems than those that do have problems since with a sample of 6 cameras from one owner is 6 too many with over heating problems. Perhaps it comes down to how the ones not having problems use their camera versus the ones that constantly use EVF when out shooting and constantly experience the over heating problems when at times they do not have the luxury of turning it off or switching to another cooler body.

I am in my lounge now that I have again spouted off. Sorry it was your original post that got me going.

Well, you mentioned Fred Miranda...

Leica M240 issues - FM Forums