Lenses external finish or paint durability

Sileem

I have no previous experiences with rangefinder lenses.

Should i be worried if one brand of a lens will last drastically less than another in good cosmetic shape?

I'm bit of a sucker for external look perfection.

In this video the Voigtländer 35mm 1.2 gives me the chills

Voigtlander 35mm Aspherical f/1.2 Nokton (Original Version) - YouTube

Optically they both look beautiful in their own way.

The 35asph has a focus tab so wear to the lens should be limited to that area, especially if left on f2.

My 28cron is very well used but still looks very good, the only wear being silvering at the edge of the aperture dial. Looks like highlights! It was bought well used. I don't know why the previous owner used the aperture dial so much.

Pete

CV lenses are painted as are most many special edition lenses. Paint or laquor wears rapidly. Zeiss are probably painted also.

Standard Leica lenses are black anodized which is oxidized aluminum and colored chemically. They hold up well.

Silver chrome are chrome over brass and are best of all. Not all lenses are available in chrome & the lenses are heavier being more partially brass .

Two things can be done to preserve finish other than never touching them. Make a thin cloth bag so they do not rub on the camera bag inside as they go in & out. Buy bags with the most soft inside material. The rubbing action causes corner edge wear.

The second is a car polymer finish. I use NuFinish liquid. Apply thinly with cotton swab, remove with soft cloth. Use a soft brush the clean crevasses.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"CV lenses are painted as are most many special edition lenses. Paint or laquer wears rapidly. Zeiss are probably painted also."

"Make a thin cloth bag so they do not rub on the camera bag inside as they go in & out. Buy bags with the most soft inside material.. The rubbing action causes corner edge wear."

The short-life surface finish of the CV lenses is the worst aspect of the brand. I have used several of them (12mm to 90mm). Optically they are good, not as good as Leica but look at the prices... For some reason the lens cap finish wears most of all. The chrome finish last slightly better than the black. I carry all my lenses of any make in small bags to stop one lens chafing against another.

When I can fund it I replace CV lenses with Leica but Leica ultrawide lenses are prohibitively priced unless you get lucky. Anybody know how the finish on current Summarit lenses wears?

Philip:)