35mm f2 Summicron ASPH Flaring issues

mknaidu11

My 35mm f2 ASPH performs relatively badly against the light, particularly compared against what I have experienced using the 35mm f1.7 Voigtlander Ultron Aspherical, and there's nothing "wrong" with my Summicron. For times when I prefer the more compact size, my 28mm f2.8 Elmarit ASPH also performs much better against the light compared to the Summicron.

Ergonomically, the more compact size and controls of the Summicron are superior, but I wouldn't doubt the design route taken by Voigtlander with the Ultron and Zeiss with their 35mm f1.4 Distagon ( yes, I know, both Cosina-made) leads to certain advantages in performance, at a cost of a larger physical size and viewfinder blockage. If the end-goal is more to have a "Leica" hanging off the end of your camera, or to have the better resale value, the Summicron is the choice. If better overall optical perfornace is desired, the Ultron and/or Distagon are better than the 20 year-old Summicron. Re-designing a lens with more aperture leaves and a screw-on lens hood don't count as a "re-design" to me. The Summicron needs an optical upgrade. Today, there are better performing alternatives.

I'll take the trade-off (and the weird, but very useable focus ring) in the case of the Ultron. It is superb.

Edited by Gregm61

Thanks all. Looking back at the occasions it happened, it does always seem to be with the sun just outside the frame in similar positions to the examples above.

I'll try that test Adan mentioned (thanks) and take a closer look at everything.

I don't mind some flare if I'm being careless or risky but am disappointed at the frequency I've seen so far from what's a relatively new lens to me.

I may have to rethink the hood I use if it's going to happen so often, maybe the Cron v4 hood might fare better. It's certainly a type of flare that most often kills the frame whatever the cause.

I don't have flare problems with Summarit-M 35 2.5. Both 2.5 and 2.4 are aspherical. Mine is great on bw darkroom prints. The only bad thing I could say about this lens, it has distortions, but in real life photography it never been an issue.

28903804660_0846464916_z.jpg

A newer version (11673, with screw-in metal hood) was introduced last year, with slight changes in construction. Whatever flare issues the earlier one may have had on digital Leicas, the 11673 has been exemplary on this score in my experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Summicron needs an optical upgrade.

There has been speculation here already about just what that might have to mean. Leica's position on the 50mm Summicron was that it was already so good the only choice was an 'ignore everything' re-design. A 2/35 APO-Summicron ASPH? I can't imagine what that would have to cost. Karbe & Co. probably already have pre-production samples in place; it's all in the timing.

s-a

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Had a closer look and there is a shiny ring (as seen from the front) visible back towards the rear elements.

I can only capture it on my phone camera with a flashlight placed behind and camera in front.

attachicon.gifIMG_4919.JPG

The inner ring looks a lot like my flare in the first shot but maybe I'm just seeing things, certainly possible.

Sounds plausible. I think your lens is faulty and missing some paint or baffling. I find this lens a little flare prone – especially with the fancy but crappy circular hood – but have never seen circular flare like your's. The closest I've seen are flare arcs but never a complete concentric circle.

22778156087_3b0c8ee460_b.jpg

21624694365_cb95992a4d_b.jpg

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 2

Poor hood + filter = more flare. The 12504 hood is almost useless as a shade and is not the best hood for the 35/2 asph v1 aside from aesthetic considerations. The plastic rectangular hood sold with the stock lens is more efficient by a large margin. Curiously enough Leica has not the most flare resistant lenses but its hoods are often residual. An almost flare free lens like the Biogon 35/2.8 with its large and sturdy vented hood is much better from this viewpoint.

I've considered the small plastic hood from the normal version. But at $200 AUD, well, maybe not.

I never saw 'perfect circle' flare like this on any lens I've owned.

I'm a big fan of Leica's integrated pull out hoods but not something ever seen for 35mm afaik. Nowhere to put it I guess.

I have the v1 also which seems fine even with the 12504 hood and a filter, maybe I'll just stick to that one if I keep getting this weird flare.

• 4 years later...