Leica stubborness will hurt sales

hammam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You missed my point - these other companies will need to implement a way of negating the IR sensitivity issue with current technology sensors. The coding is only an indirect player, it is only the means by which the camera knows exactly which lens is mounted, which is essential for cut filter correction

Tom, the 6-bit coding wasn't originally designed to deal with IR contamination ... cyan corner correction in combination with the use of cut filters is ONLY part of the ongoing development of many digital corrections the M8 is going to take care of.

I doubt if a competitor will want to correct for Leica lenses, they will most likely program their camera for their own lenses.

I agree ... it won't necessarily meant to be supporting competitors' lenses, but it'll certainly make a popular feature of the hypothetical camera with which any competitor's lens can be recognized. Anything after that is - beyond their control. ;)

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The development of a lens selection menu item is not especially difficult.

Gosh, they'll be employing you as a firmware programmer next. I bow to your greater experience in developing digital and software products. LOL.

A question: if this menu is introduced, do you think it should include entries for the WATE and the 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH which have always been coded and which (therefore) are not required if the stated aim of the function is simply to support back level Leica lenses? If it were there, how would Leica explain its presence?

I certainly agree that whether the menu gets implemented is not a technical issue, it's a commercial one.

I like much the Elmarit asph as well.

I have it right now with the current Elmar 50 for the weekend.

A true pleasure to use in good light despite a high contrast that i find easily manageable though.

Now when i bring some lenses of my youth like the 'cron 40, 35 IV or 50 V, the Rokkor 28 makes a better match than the new Elmarit IMHO.

So, to revert to the topic, why wouldn't i have the right to use the Rokkor with the M8 the same way as i do with the R-D1?

Of course i am not that happy to have to 'chimp' in a menu to remove the cyan shift but at least i could use the lens this way with the Leica.

I don not think anyone is saying you do not have a right to use your Rok on your M8. One could use a coke bottle for a lens should they want! However, one should not expect that Leica is obligated to support another manufacturers lens, or even their own. Canon has set the precedent for that, try and use an FD lens on an EOS.

Look at my pic above. I'm not a great photographer alas! but i do like colours a lot and i wanted to catch the contrast between the lock gate and the the old houses with their different grey hues.

Imagine some cyan shift in that... What a shame my friend! Would make me cry if i were not an old pitiless lawyer. ;)

How can we simply find normal that a Leica could do ugly things like that?

I am 60 now, i've bought my first M4 in 1971, i own 5 Leica bodies and i don't remember how many Leica lenses, 19 or 20 or something like that, so what i ask Leica is to be respected by them.

I am a good client of them so if i use a non coded lens from time to time, Leica or not Leica i don't care, i think that my basic right is not to get ugly results with my Leica camera.

Fair enough no?

I have over a dozen Leica lenses myself, non are coded by Leica thus far. I did hand code 11 of them. I was using them with the previous FW - have not seen any 'ugly' results other than when I tried using a 486 filter on the 24mm, which I ceased doing until within the past week. One can go using lenses without coding; and even with cut filters if the FL is > 35mm.

Tom, are you using any more than the Sharpie to code the lens? I was wondering if a more durable ink such as an epoxy ink would wear better.

Guy, I agree, I spent an hour this afternoon with the WATE, the Franken-finder, the new filter adapter and a B+W 49mm filter glass and firmware 1.102 and all the usability issues have gone. It a great package to use and I'm looking forward to replacing the B+W glass with a Leica filter when I can get hold of one.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, I was wondering why. Having you been doing some tests as well?

Not to the extent that you have! Nevertheless, I only had to shoot a couple of shots with the 486 on the 24 in the snow earlier in the year to verify the cyan corners. Also, via 'pixel peeping,' I have been very impressed with the quality of the images relative to my experience with 4 Nikon DSLRs, particularly the lack of color fringing, what is called CA. The M8 images are nothing short of crisp and free of this issue. I am well into the 7000's (I am sure you are far beyond this) pix count-wise with the M8 so have had a fair chance at evaluation, although restricted to winter. I have not done any side by side shooting either, in fact have used the two systems together on just one occasion (I was on a boat and each system served different functions),

Guest guy_mancuso

I agree Mark once you have the WATE setup it is one awesome package and honestly the only real way to use it with the M8. the Frankenfinder i guess i will just have to get someday

My guess is the ZI digital rangefinder body is proceeding in the design/conceptual stage. n

Do they have a conceptual 24x36mm sensor with no IR sensitivity? Or maybe it is just hypothetical?

Second issue - Will they off set the micro-lenses, to what extent, etc. Maybe this hypothetical sensor will not need them?

Tom, the 6-bit coding wasn't originally designed to deal with IR contamination ... cyan corner correction in combination with the use of cut filters is ONLY part of the ongoing development of many digital corrections the M8 is going to take care of.

Roger that! I had not planned on coding any of my lenses but the use of cut filters has necessitated that for WA lenses. In my mind there is much more justification for coding now. What if they had come out with the M8 assuming that the micro-lens offset was enough, no need for de-vignetting in the FW; there would have been no coding. This might have led to menu selection, which might very well have led to a new set of complaints.....

Tom, are you using any more than the Sharpie to code the lens? I was wondering if a more durable ink such as an epoxy ink would wear better.

I am using several Sharpies of different sized tip. Once I get the camera to read the code I put on additional layers.