Leica stubborness will hurt sales

hammam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just to apologize to mention Porche. It has been a misunderstood of Jaap's answer to my post due to my diffculties in English interpretation. As you see I'm spanish.

Thank you,

Francisco.

He, no worry :) . I was just kidding .... even so this thread is so serious :p

ATB

KH

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

35s need coding as well.

Cheers,

Sean

Do you suggest i also need a filter and coding on my 35mm Canon Serenar ......:o

M8 + 35/2,8 Serenar

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Ok Simon ... i am one of them .... but 35 & up does not need coding .....

Han, you haven't fully realized this is not only for the cyan drift issue those wide angle folks are experiencing, once the menu choice is in place and the lens information is properly recorded, it would enable solutions (which aren't necessarily to be provided by Leica) to many other issues ... let's say, you may experience with longer focal lengths - some simple examples, I want to use the 50 rigid, the 90 thambar and the 135/3.4 APO!

I, personally, have absolutely zero interest in anything wider than 35mm.

In more than 300 answers to a relatively simple question, is there any new information given that one can not read in one of the other threads?:D

No!:)

If one want a menu to select certain Leica lenses it's not secure because he may not be able to identify his own lens (this is maybe difficult due to the many lens variations Leica produced in history as many discussions between experts in the history of this forum proved). Therefore coding is the only professional answer. How can one expect that a manufacturer builds unprofessional solutions that additionally reduces revenues? :confused:

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If one want a menu to select certain Leica lenses it's not secure because he may not be able to identify his own lens (this is maybe difficult due to the many lens variations Leica produced in history as many discussions between experts in the history of this forum proved).
I'm not sure what insecurity these experts were talking about but don't they know that every Leica lens has a serial number and it's so easy to determine which type it is by looking up in a S/N database? LOL

If Leica really wants to do it, I don't doubt they have the capability to let you simply key in the serial number and let the camera bring up the corresponding profile. That way you don't even have to bother with focal length and max aperture etc. of course, it would be a benefit to those using third party lenses.

I'm not sure what insecurity these experts were talking about but don't they know that every Leica lens has a serial number and it's so easy to determine which type it is by looking up in a S/N database? LOL

If Leica really wants to do it, I don't doubt they have the capability to let you simply key in the serial number and let the camera bring up the corresponding profile. That way you don't even have to bother with focal length and max aperture etc. of course, it would be a benefit to those using third party lenses.

These experts didn't argue about insecurity but they sharpened their knives for discussions about which lens is which and what the differences are. :)

If you would read more of such discusisons (ohh, maybe they only take place in the German forum) you would know that's not so easy to work with serial numbers if you want exact and secure information. ;)

These experts didn't argue about insecurity but they sharpened their knives for discussions about which lens is which and what the differences are. :)

If you would read more of such discusisons (ohh, maybe they only take place in the German forum) you would know that's not so easy to work with serial numbers if you want exact and secure information. ;)

Thanks a lot for the pointers, my German is getting rusty and I believe the last time I wrote an exam was twenty years ago ... LOL

But as I've posted ... Leica maintains a full record of their products and we're NOT talking about a bootleg version of S/N table, right? by the way, did the experts cover more than what's inside Erwin Puts' Leica Compendium? ;)

Thanks a lot for the pointers, my German is getting rusty and I believe the last time I wrote an exam was twenty years ago ... LOL

But as I've posted ... Leica maintains a full record of their products and we're NOT talking about a bootleg version of S/N table, right? by the way, did the experts cover more than what's inside Erwin Puts' Leica Compendium? ;)

Sure that Leica maintains a FULL record, even the pre-war lenses? Could there be any reason that only Leica holds these information...?

These experts sometimes even ignore Puts because ... Really, some of them worked for Leica and are even outperformed by others regarding their knowledge of certain Leica products. ;)

Sure that Leica maintains a FULL record, even the pre-war lenses? Could there be any reason that only Leica holds these information...?

These experts sometimes even ignore Puts because ... Really, some of them worked for Leica and are even outperformed by others regarding their knowledge of certain Leica products. ;)

How many lenses were built pre-war?

Was Leica destroyed in the war?

How many people still own pre-war lens ... supposing these collections aren't just in "for display only" condition?

You probably don't know, Leica even provided coating service for pre-war lenses till a very late stage of time. If they could do that why couldn't they do this?

Some people are pretending to ignore Puts but that doesn't mean that they're better than Puts ... I'm not even speaking for Puts ... ok, the person you call expert is so good, show me some proof how good he/she is. ;)

Sorry Sean, I know I'm an ignorant, please don't evade the answer.

Excuse me if I've dared to ask you...

Francisco.

Which answer? I apologize but I'm sure what you're asking. The "threat"/"thread" comment was a joke but what is your question? I'll try to answer it if I can.

Cheers,

Sean

How many lenses were built pre-war?

Was Leica destroyed in the war?

How many people still own pre-war lens ... supposing these collections aren't just in "for display only" condition?

You probably don't know, Leica even provided coating service for pre-war lenses till a very late stage of time. If they could do that why couldn't they do this?

Some people are pretending to ignore Puts but that doesn't mean that they're better than Puts ... I'm not even speaking for Puts ... ok, the person you call expert is so good, show me some proof how good he/she is. ;)

I don't know how many people own pre-war lenses. Maybe the half of these lenses that still exist are still in use?

How horibble would it be to select serial numbers with the M8's user interface, it still has no numerical pad. Would you prefer to type the numbers with the lens attached? :D

Ok, if the next M8 firmware has an OCR (optical text recognition) SW incorporated, I'm on your side. People can make a photo of the lens' serial number before they change it - at least if they have two lenses. That would be quite easy.

Maybe these experts will find this thread and feel the necessity to contribute. I really think the decision is up to them. :)

I don't know how many people own pre-war lenses. Maybe the half of these lenses that still exist are still in use?

How horibble would it be to select serial numbers with the M8's user interface, it still has no numerical pad. Would you prefer to type the numbers with the lens attached? :D

Punching in the serial numbers with existing controls shouldn't be that difficult at all. Leica could build a soft numerical keypad into the menu and let users navigate through the numbers using the arrow keys.

Which answer? I apologize but I'm sure what you're asking. The "threat"/"thread" comment was a joke but what is your question? I'll try to answer it if I can.

Cheers,

Sean

I will be more explict: As you see a Leica owner, I think, is assisted by someone to buy the lens without informing that can't be focused with the rangefinder. For me is a very good example where people in some way "helped" and "encouraged" by your advices and third party lenses defens is going to decide to buy it. Do you thing your allways good advices are not, in some manner, taking a partial defens of those companies against Leica?

Sorry not to be able to better express myself.

Thank you,

Francisco.